Going sledding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moarcher88

Going sledding

Unread postby moarcher88 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:24 pm

What kind of sleds are you guys using to drag your deer out after the kill? I have a cart and just purchased a frame pack this year, I'd also like to add a sled to my .

Ranger Matthews

Re: Going sledding

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 am

Larger ice fishing sleds. Work great in the swamp cause it will ride over the top and keep the deer out of the muck and keep the meat from getting compromised. I like the wider ones cause they are less likely to flip on uneven terrain.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 am

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 am

JetSled doubles as Deer extraction & Ice Fishing gear
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:33 am

last week I bought my wife a steal on a ATV, the guy had in building, a heavy duty sled, with custom straps, 5 of them, bolted on and they cinch...... He use to bow hunt the Horicon Marsh, so that is what he used. I bought it for 25.00 I have a sportsmen sled up in my cabin, but this was even better..........

Again, I rarely take a whole deer out anymore, unless I have the young guy friends to count on, or the atv.... so I cut my deer up and part it in either the sled or cart. I have a great pack frame Saddle Mule from Sandpiper out of California, but then I take out a quarter or so at a time,,,,,,,
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:16 am

http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html

I recommend investing in a set of wear bars. The price is worth saving your sled.
moarcher88

Unread postby moarcher88 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like the jet sled style is the way to go. Not much ice fishing here in Missouri but maybe I'll make it up North one of these days
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 am

Randyflash wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-Jet-Sled-Multi-Purpose/dp/B002RWBPQM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3SIQ1ZNTFD0CE&keywords=jet+sled&qid=1564320894&s=gateway&sprefix=Jet+sled%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

This is what I use... works great

I believe I have the same sled. They work good for deer and also have used it for some chores at camp. Works well.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 am

I have a jet sled jr.

Though where legal I want to start packing a deer out.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:39 am

I use a sled very similar to this one. Very easy lightweight option to keep in your vehicle.

http://www.deadsled.com/

Good to have other options as well depending on where you hunt. In marshes I have used the sled above, Otter sled, cart and sometimes just plain ole’ grab them by the horns and drag. These days the body is breaking down so I always have a pack frame and game bags in the truck so I can pack out if needed. I won’t drag a deer even in a sled very long distances anymore by myself.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I have a jet sled jr.

Though where legal I want to start packing a deer out.

I half packed one out last year. I quartered it up and then used the sled to pull it out. Bought a used military pack after season to have for the next one.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:28 pm

moarcher88 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like the jet sled style is the way to go. Not much ice fishing here in Missouri but maybe I'll make it up North one of these days

As I'm sure you are already aware, parking lots are pretty close to each other on most MDC land. We have options, though. If your trip out is a long one, deboning and packing out is the best option IMO. On most places, though, there is a trail fairly close. If I am not packing out a deboned deer, I use my Jet Sled to drag it to the main trail. Then I slide the deer and sled onto my cheap as you can find, Sportsmans Guide deer cart and easily wheel the whole thing out on the manicured walking trail. The sled floats, drags over logs and thru brush, mud, and sand much better than a cart. But the cart trumps the sled on dry walking trails.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Hey don't forget the roll up plastic sled as a lightweight compact option. Like a sled, it can be used in combination with a cart once you are out to a trail.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Hey don't forget the roll up plastic sled as a lightweight compact option. Like a sled, it can be used in combination with a cart once you are out to a trail.

See above^^^^^ ;)
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Dewey wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:Hey don't forget the roll up plastic sled as a lightweight compact option. Like a sled, it can be used in combination with a cart once you are out to a trail.

See above^^^^^ ;)

Good stuff right there. I was working and skipped over your link.

Mental note: Let work slide when on the Beast, might miss something important.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”