How tight do my groups gotta be at 30 yards??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Ashreve93

Re: How tight do my groups gotta be at 30 yards??

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 am

Accurately shooting your bow is extremely important, but it has always seemed to me to be the "who's got the biggest" of the archery world. You don't need to hit a basketball from 60 yards. You may want to hit one at 50. But to hit a baseball every time at 60, sounds more like competition shooting to me. My personal goal is to be a decent shot 10 yards farther than I'll ever shoot a deer. If your goal is 30, then practice a few shots at 40. See if you can hit a basketball. If you can, then you'll find it easy to hit a pie plate at 30. Your goal is to hit lungs, not the exit valve of the heart.
A couple quick statements:
Pie plate has always been the basic standard.
Aim small, miss small
Don't get caught in the "who's better" race
Get some confidence by practicing the same shot over, the. Try new shots.
Once youget the shot down, Release one arrow a day. Make it count.
Gain real confidence with real experience. Fake confidence goes away quickly and easily.

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:34 am

At 30 yards... I agree - baseball size. Or smaller.

I try to keep it inside of 8" at 60. But at that distance with a hunting bow, things get tough. Your form has to be extremely consistent. Thes short axle to axle and short brace height bows don't make long-distance shots any easier... A deer's lungs are bigger than a baseball, true. But what about on quartering shots? What about shots where the deer is partially obstructed behind cover. In those cases your shot window is about the size of a baseball.

So you have to consistently hit your mark. Or resign yourself to passing on shots like that. It's the ethical thing to do. IMHO anyway.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 am

I have a rule of thumb that I made up. If you can shoot a softball size group without ANY flyers, then whatever yardage you’re at, take 1/3 of the yardage off and you’re good to take a deer at that distance.

For example, if I can hit a softball every time at 60, I’ll take a deer at 40. If I’m accurate at 40, then 25 or hair over.

With all the variables in the field (and a little buck fever thrown in) nobody can shoot a deer as accurately as they punch holes in paper in their back yard. I cringe when someone shoots decent at 40 MOST OF THE TIME, but is still willing to shoot a deer at that range. My uncle was ND state champion and he has flubbed multiple 40+ yard shots on deer. But he’s a crack shot in the back yard or in a tournament at MUCH greater distances :think:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:02 am

Lockdown wrote:I have a rule of thumb that I made up. If you can shoot a softball size group without ANY flyers, then whatever yardage you’re at, take 1/3 of the yardage off and you’re good to take a deer at that distance.

For example, if I can hit a softball every time at 60, I’ll take a deer at 40. If I’m accurate at 40, then 25 or hair over.

With all the variables in the field (and a little buck fever thrown in) nobody can shoot a deer as accurately as they punch holes in paper in their back yard. I cringe when someone shoots decent at 40 MOST OF THE TIME, but is still willing to shoot a deer at that range. My uncle was ND state champion and he has flubbed multiple 40+ yard shots on deer. But he’s a crack shot in the back yard or in a tournament at MUCH greater distances :think:

Good post! Bowhunting and target archery are two different sports. If traditional archers had many of the standards listed, they wouldn’t hunt. I’ve shot with a lot of good bowhunters that couldn’t shoot 2 inch groups from 20yds
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:17 am

I can count with my thumbs how many deer I have shot beyond 27 yards. Can I hit beyond that 27 yards without a doubt. Do I practice beyond 30 yards? Yes I do, but most of my shots fall between 5-20 yards. Making sure of shot angle and shooting for exit is very important. Makes for shorter blood trails.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 am

Practice with your hunting broadheads buy a extra package.
Just changing from broadhead types to field points can often mean a few inches off.

Just like changing from a carbon Express speed freak to a carbon Express mayhem is a 3 inch drop at 30 yards. Practice with everything exactly the way you will hunt.

I hit a baseball at 20 and 30.
When I get back to 40 or longer.
It spreads out to pie size.
I'm very comfortable out to 30.

Shoot from the stand height you normally hunt at.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:06 am

Practice at the double the range ya wanna be able to kill out. I shoot out to 100-140 yards all the time since I hunt out west and it’s nothing to shoot at 50-80 yards. East coast timber hunting you’re gunna be hard pressed to get shots over 30 yards. Shooting long range with your hunting set up with make the 30,40,50 yard shots feel like 20.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I have a rule of thumb that I made up. If you can shoot a softball size group without ANY flyers, then whatever yardage you’re at, take 1/3 of the yardage off and you’re good to take a deer at that distance.

Good post! Bowhunting and target archery are two different sports. If traditional archers had many of the standards listed, they wouldn’t hunt. I’ve shot with a lot of good bowhunters that couldn’t shoot 2 inch groups from 20yds

I can believe that. I do think it’s a little different if you’re experienced and you know you can keep the accuracy up while shooting at a live target.

After reading Tennhunters post, I should add that my rule of thumb is with a broad head on, not field points. And for God’s sake don’t be one of these guys that doesn’t shoot your broadheads before hunting ;)

I can tell you first hand if you shoot fixed blades and your bow isn’t tuned perfectly, you’ll know when step out past 30 yards. Doesn’t matter if YOU’RE capable of extreme long range shots if your equipment isn’t.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:48 am

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how fast are you getting your shot off?
You should be able to shoot accurately in 2 seconds or less from when you get your intended target in your sights to pulling the trigger.
I've seen guys that take their sweet time aiming with target practice and can shoot well, but on a live animal you don't have a lot of time to get on target.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:07 am

I agree with baseball ...while the vitals are bigger ground level, they compact when angle trajectory comes into play.

Personally, I hate shooting groups, but prefer to shoot different points on my target. While I don't mind a Robin Hood ...I hate having to replace fletchings, which is way more common for me than the former.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:07 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I can count with my thumbs how many deer I have shot beyond 27 yards. Can I hit beyond that 27 yards without a doubt. Do I practice beyond 30 yards? Yes I do, but most of my shots fall between 5-20 yards. Making sure of shot angle and shooting for exit is very important. Makes for shorter blood trails.

Maybe an Arkansas thing. 28 yards is my longest, and the vast majority inside 20...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Bonehead

Re: How tight do my groups gotta be at 30 yards?

Unread postby Bonehead » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:29 am

Like others have mentioned, the ‘cold shot’ is the thing you want to place a lot of emphasis on, especially as a hunter.
I take a flexible approach to how far I shoot that’s based on how well I’m currently shooting.
I put a restraint on my self beyond 40 yards. If I happen to be shooting good and have some confidence, I will sometimes take a ‘cold shot’ at 45 yards or beyond. If on my last practice session ( 4-5 a week) if It’s a killing shot I may extend my max range to 45 yards. That being said I will lower my range down as well.

Shooting well beyond your hunting range during your practice sessions is another one a lot of guys mentioned that I drink helps as well.

Throughout 30 some seasons, I have made some shots on live animals I am not proud of. It does happen, it’s part of bow hunting. That being said trying to avoid repeating those mistakes is my goal.
For the record I have not killed a mature buck beyond 40 yards yet. My closest was 11 yards, my farthest 36 yards. Remember, it’s all about the cold shot.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:42 am

60F4D49A-6DD2-42FD-9594-2E5AC97D9D2E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:47 am

I like to shoot one arrow sessions. I really don’t care where shots 2-100 go. That first arrow is really all that matters.

If I can’t make that first cold shot hit where I want, than I need to work on my form or my head and get back to where I need to be. 20-25 years ago I tried to shoot 100 arrows a day. After shoulder surgery 12 years ago, I can’t do that anymore, but I can shoot one arrow several times a day.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:48 am

john1984 wrote:How good of a shot are you at 30 yards??? How tight should my groups be at 30 yards before I take a shot at a deer at 30 yards?????

When shooting your bow it's about knowing your effective range and having the confidence you need to get the job done. If your shooting 10" groups at 15 yards I would reevaluate my shooting ability but I have a feeling your not in this category.
Focus more on realistic shooting situations. Practice at last light, windy days, hot days, cold days, and rainy days. Dont stand on that nice platform at the archery range, take a shot from the bushes or other area. Stand on a picnic table or shoot out of the bed of your truck from the edge of the tailgate.
Focus on the kill zone and placing that arrow in the boiler room! We all know a few hunters that aren't the best of shooters but are plain killers in the woods. We also know some that can shoot fleas off a dogs tail at the range but can never kill a deer. Build the confidence you need to get the job done! Lockdown has a thread similiar to yours, check it out.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”