Using a stand for scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Using a stand for scouting

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:19 am

Was wondering how many of you are using stands for summer scouting? I know most like the spotting scopes or binos but am exploring more options. Just throwing it out there.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Using a stand for scouting

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:32 am

Saddle is best for scouting for sure lighter to carry yet you can still see your areas from hunting height and see what trees need to accidentally be broken by your hands I mean last weeks windstorm.

Even if you hunt with a stand scout with a saddle.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:50 am

I lugged an old climber and connecting climbing sticks to make a permanent stand in public land spot about 5 years ago. Climbed up it for an afternoon hunt the first week of bow season. As soon as I reached the platform I immediately got stung in my palm, right through my thin bow hunting gloves! Almost fell from the top of the stand climbed down extremely fast one handed, it felt like I got electrocuted!

I never saw a nest and never could even identify what stung me, but I'd guess a wasp or a hornet. I haven't been back. I've convinced myself that the wasps have run all the deer away from that area and it's no longer worth hunting!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Dmking33
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/100007073164656

Unread postby Dmking33 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:52 am

I like the thought for the fact you can practice your set up/tear down with your mobile set up & be elevated in a spot to scan the whole area you are watching that you might not be able to from the ground. But I personally would still set up at a good distance away from where I plan on watching and still would be using the binos..
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:38 am

I observe here and there with my LW, camera arm and spotting scope. Works really well! Having the scope on a camera arm is more convenient than a tripod IMHO.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 am

I bought the new helium’s which I really like, and I modified them by cutting them down to 20 inches and removed one step, so I’m going to get used to using those with a CAYG aider and use the top stick as a platform with my saddle for some observation Sits. I figure it’s a good way to practice the aider and get comfy in the saddle while also scouting.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 am

Do what ever it takes to learn/gain intel. When I was younger I spent alot of time sitting in trees, minus a stand, overlooking fields or other areas to catch summer deer movements. But stayed away from actual areas/trees I would hunt out of come fall. I've sat permanent rifle stands that the landowners had set up on private ground. Or climbed in or on farm equipment. Even a silo a time or two.

Sure people will look at you strange heading into a piece of public. Stand and sticks on your back during July and August. But if it gains you intel and confidence. So be it!!! Remember thinking out of the box is encouraged around here!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:53 am

stash59 wrote:Do what ever it takes to learn/gain intel. When I was younger I spent alot of time sitting in trees, minus a stand, overlooking fields or other areas to catch summer deer movements. But stayed away from actual areas/trees I would hunt out of come fall. I've sat permanent rifle stands that the landowners had set up on private ground. Or climbed in or on farm equipment. Even a silo a time or two.

Sure people will look at you strange heading into a piece of public. Stand and sticks on your back during July and August. But if it gains you intel and confidence. So be it!!! Remember thinking out of the box is encouraged around here!!!

x2

One of my observation trees is in a farm yard. It’s feet from mowed grass and probably 40 yards from their garage :lol:

“I’m trying to learn deer behavior on the public land over here. Would you care if I observed from that tree in your yard?” Man I felt stupid asking, but it’s a pretty good vantage point. I’ll never forget when the wife gave me permission and the husband came home later. He looked up in the tree at me like “What the...” and just walked inside :lol:
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Lockdown wrote:
stash59 wrote:Do what ever it takes to learn/gain intel. When I was younger I spent alot of time sitting in trees, minus a stand, overlooking fields or other areas to catch summer deer movements. But stayed away from actual areas/trees I would hunt out of come fall. I've sat permanent rifle stands that the landowners had set up on private ground. Or climbed in or on farm equipment. Even a silo a time or two.

x2

One of my observation trees is in a farm yard. It’s feet from mowed grass and probably 40 yards from their garage :lol:

“I’m trying to learn deer behavior on the public land over here. Would you care if I observed from that tree in your yard?” Man I felt stupid asking, but it’s a pretty good vantage point. I’ll never forget when the wife gave me permission and the husband came home later. He looked up in the tree at me like “What the...” and just walked inside :lol:

That's pretty funny!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 am

Lockdown wrote:

x2

:lol: that's hilarious
Jamielukas

Unread postby Jamielukas » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 am

may21581 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

x2

That's pretty funny!

Good stuff

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”