Fear of Heights

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Fear of Heights

Unread postby cspot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am

Might not be a popular subject, but something has happened that I didn't really expect.

Without boring you with my whole life details, in my younger days I used to hunt out of hang-ons without really any issue. Heights weren't my favorite things in the World, but it didn't really bother me. With my work schedule for a few years I didn't bowhunt and then when I was able to my kids were hunting so instead of using hang-ons, I was using double ladderstands everywhere. Long story short it has been probably 15 years since I used a hang-on. This year I bought a LW Alpha and some sticks to use to get more mobile. I have tried using them a few times for practice but the height issue is bothering me and I can't get above 10' or so and even then I am not comfortable. I also have a climber and that doesn't really bother me and I can go up to about 20' with no issue.

Not sure why it has changed so much for me over the time. I know that getting on a roof bothers me a lot more. Maybe getting older I know that I am not as invincible as I once thought that I was. :lol: I use a linesman belt when going up and am tied off the whole time, so I know that I really can't fall. I think the difference is with a climber is I sit down in and have a bar in front of me. Sounds stupid, but I can stand up in it which would easily let me fall over the bar. I know it is mental but I don't know if I can get pass it. May just have to use my climber and then hunt from the ground if there isn't a suitable tree for it.

Anyone have more issues with heights as they get older? Actually thinking of putting the stand and sticks up for sale soon. May give it a few more tries.

backstraps

Re: Fear of Heights

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:18 am

I don’t have those issues, BUT I have a lot of friends exactly the same!!!! The thought of the rail around you is just a piece of mind.

Some get over it after using the lock on a bunch and some dont

I say give it an honest try, naturally like you stated... STAY SAFE
It’s for sure not for everyone
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:23 am

I think I am more careful of heights as I age.

In my teens falling was never something I thought about I used to be 25 plus feet with not a bit of fear.

I worked ontop of a school Gym putting on a roof 45 feet above concrete it was absolutely terrifying to do. In some spots a safety line was not possible to use and a lift could not reach. We were very lucky and careful. Most places the lift could thank god for it. The pay was not really worth the risk. I cant imagine the poor guys who build skyscrapers.

. My father also fell from a ladder stand and broke 3 bones in his neck and shoulder. Ladder stands I think are the most dangerous kind of stand.

I feel fine 20 feet up in my mantis but I'm not going 25 plus feet.
I bought a very expensive custom made Prussik as my tether rated for 5400 pounds much cheaper then a hospital bill.

Best think to do is buy the best harness you can afford and fall from it over and over at 10 feet while it is scary at first. You will develop trust in it and be more comfortable in your Alpha. Facing fear is never easy but you can overcome it.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:37 am

I have some issues with trees that have a bit of lean. For some reason, if I don't have the trunk right near me as a reference, I get a vertigo feeling. I use a lock on stand. On a couple occasions I was only gonna take a sitting shot because I didn't dare stand. What I do to deal with this issue is to use a tree saddle as a safety harness. This allows me to hang off a tether while in my tree stand (exactly like saddle hunting). That connection to the tree has completely eliminated any fear of height issues for me.

I still use the tree stand normally 90% of my hunts, but go into "saddle mode" on weird leaning trees.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:18 am

Here's how I do my mantis.
2 prussiks
2 bridges one longer then the original that came on it incase it ever was to break. They are also attached to different loops on my saddle incase a loop was to ever break.
20190724_181506.jpg

This is a extra layer of security for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 am

I don't like height much either. Worsening as I age also.
The harness and safety gear has allowed me to build confidence to stand hunt.
Peeing from the stand gives me vertigo. Lol. Takes concentration but can manage it. Anyway, are you in a hunter style harness? Rear hitch?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:23 am

justdirtyfun wrote: Anyway, are you in a hunter style harness? Rear hitch?
Yes to both.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

backstraps wrote:The thought of the rail around you is just a piece of mind.

Yes it is all mental. I know that rail doesn't really do crap for me, but subconsciously it makes you feel better.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I don't like height much either. Worsening as I age also.
The harness and safety gear has allowed me to build confidence to stand hunt.
Peeing from the stand gives me vertigo. Lol. Takes concentration but can manage it. Anyway, are you in a hunter style harness? Rear hitch?

:lol: I have a friend told me the exact same thing
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am

Stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon for awhile. After that tree stand heights will feel like nothing. :lol:
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am

After 30 some years I’m still like a pig on ice while in a tree stand! I’ve learned to tolerate it but 15 feet....... that’s it... no higher :?
The Spirit Lives On
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:40 pm

I have never been stoked with heights, but I forced myself to do a rappelling class a long time ago. Helped that initial fear and got me used to a harness.

Tree stands were similar in that I used ladders but still wasn't crazy about it. And I had a gunrail foul a bow shot once, so I was done with those things. So last year, I went to a hang-on.

I think adding a linemans belt helped a bit with setting up for me, as well as just trusting that my gear is good, in good shape and I just need to take my time.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm

I don't really fear heights when it's stable, but I do fear getting to heights sometimes. When I'm working high on a ladder, my knees tend to knock together and shake the whole ladder. I used to work at a hospital where I could stand on the edge of the roof and look down 10 stories no problem.
I do tend to get very nervous when I'm climbing up sticks and have to step off on to a hang on stand. Using a climber two years ago helped a lot, and last year I went to a saddle, linesman belt and steps, and don't have much of a problem now. I still don't go much past mid-teens to 20'.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:08 pm

I tolerate hang ons up so far, but I always felt much more comfortable in a climber also. With that said, after a season in a saddle I can't imagine hunting with anything else as my primary means.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I've occasionally had a fear of the tree I'm in falling while I'm strapped to it. I actually got down and went to a different tree on a hunt last year, was up un a smaller tree and was sure it was going to fall. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”