What gets you jacked about hunting (that isn't hunting)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hambone
500 Club

Re: What gets you jacked about hunting (that isn't hunting)

Unread postby hambone » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:46 pm

When I wake up breathing, I am thinking about deer hunting. It kicks into overdrive during those late summer nights with low's in the lower 60's.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm

I really have a hard time answering this. Deer hunting has become such an everyday pursuit to me that I never really feel the end of it.

It used to be that July 4th signaled the time to put trail cams out, so that was it. Or maybe it was when I started cranking the tractors up to mow plots and start discing in August. Or maybe the Labor Day dove hunt.

Nowadays, I’ve basically tabled every hobby outside of deer and turkey(and turkeys only take a front seat during that season). I haven’t fished all year. Haven’t picked up golf clubs in three summers. Haven’t played a men’s league softball game or pickup basketball game in years in fear of reinjuring my knee and missing hunting time.

God, family, job are the only things that take priority to the pursuit for me. Outside of that, everything’s a calculated decision for the pursuit of deer.

So in other words, long winded way of saying I’m always jacked for deer season and I’m afraid any answer I could give would be related to hunting.... including the deer tacos I just ate that have me jacked for it. :mrgreen:
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:04 pm

At end of July I know it is just one month till September. When you start seeing expirations on milk jugs in to September it really starts to hit home. :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:40 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:At end of July I know it is just one month till September. When you start seeing expirations on milk jugs in to September it really starts to hit home. :clap:

I like this one.

I'm like everyone else. I keep hunting on my mind year round, but there are always a few weird things during the year that will make me feel like I can almost smell the fall woods.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:45 am

Funny thing, the farmer sprayed some foliage killing stuff on the brush in the hedge rows around the bean field behind our house. So I'm driving home last week and see yellowing leaves and my mind automatically said "September!" and then wait... what?? It's the middle of July! And then I remembered he was up there with a sprayer.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 am

I always start getting really excited for a good fishing trip when you can see the first day of the trip in the long term forecast. I never stop being excited about deer hunting.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:13 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:When the Wolverine's football season kicks off! That usually starts the one month count down for hunting season. But now I'm in Kentucky, and we start September 7th, which is only Michigan's 2nd game. Looks like I'll have my earbud in on stand a few extra games this year!

That’s why they make DVR’s ;)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:43 pm

Wlog wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:When the Wolverine's football season kicks off! That usually starts the one month count down for hunting season. But now I'm in Kentucky, and we start September 7th, which is only Michigan's 2nd game. Looks like I'll have my earbud in on stand a few extra games this year!

That’s why they make DVR’s ;)

True enough! :lol:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:54 am

When the combines start taking wheat, and when I need to put a hoodie on in the mornings to work outside. Then I know we’re close :L:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 am

Trailcam pics of mature deer, cooler temps
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:49 am

The big velvet buck just chilling by the edge of the road as we took a cruise through the DBNF this afternoon, that was pretty good for getting a fire going! :o
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 am

thwack16 wrote:I really have a hard time answering this. Deer hunting has become such an everyday pursuit to me that I never really feel the end of it.

It used to be that July 4th signaled the time to put trail cams out, so that was it. Or maybe it was when I started cranking the tractors up to mow plots and start discing in August. Or maybe the Labor Day dove hunt.

Nowadays, I’ve basically tabled every hobby outside of deer and turkey(and turkeys only take a front seat during that season). I haven’t fished all year. Haven’t picked up golf clubs in three summers. Haven’t played a men’s league softball game or pickup basketball game in years in fear of reinjuring my knee and missing hunting time.

God, family, job are the only things that take priority to the pursuit for me. Outside of that, everything’s a calculated decision for the pursuit of deer.

So in other words, long winded way of saying I’m always jacked for deer season and I’m afraid any answer I could give would be related to hunting.... including the deer tacos I just ate that have me jacked for it. :mrgreen:

X2! Deer hunting invades my thoughts at least 5 times everyday!

The only thing original that I could add is that I think about hunting season literally anytime I see a deer while driving. I'm always scoping for them wondering where they are and why.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:36 am

For me it's the changing of the seasons. Trees turn orange and start to drop, the air turns cool and switches to the north, can sense the bomb about to go off at any day and the doe's are starting to smell sweet. That gets me harder than Chinese algebra. Giggity Giggity Goo....
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”