Southern Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Southern Rut

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am

I have heard all kinds of theories as well as science for the majority of the country that makes logical sense. When it comes to us down here in Hels Kitchen I've never heard any kind of explanation that even resembled a rational thought.

I will just use my own state for example but maybe some other southern states can chime in on what they see.Less than 2 hours away the rut starts kickin in late Oct. In my area it's late Nov, and hour away it's Mid Dec and so on.

You mean to tell me the light intensity varies so much an hour away? No matter what theory u believe or your selling what is the deal down here? Will say once u figure out prime dates they never change although I think weather comes a lot more into play down here for movement. Doesn't get cold enough for Mother Nature to force breeding and create the Midwest "frenzy".

Maybe the Down South Crew can bring someone on that has a bit of scientific explanation for what goes on. Would be very interested in hearing something that made some kind of sense.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Southern Rut

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

Maybe some Florida guys will chime in but if you want to see a messed up rut, look at theirs. I saw a map of what times the majority of does get knocked up, and it ranges from like August to January. Within their state. It was crazy.

So yeah I think southern deer have some screws loose. Maybe they are all cousins or something? :think: :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Majority of activity I see is from 3rd week October to end of December.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:35 pm

Jonny wrote:Maybe some Florida guys will chime in but if you want to see a messed up rut, look at theirs. I saw a map of what times the majority of does get knocked up, and it ranges from like August to January. Within their state. It was crazy.

So yeah I think southern deer have some screws loose. Maybe they are all cousins or something? :think: :lol:

I agree Amigo! Those Florida boys have got something I want no part of lol. Private ground is in the same ball bark as here as far as turning American hunting into the ole Kings Fox hunt. Prime rut in the scorching hottest part of the year. Them guys who gets it done there on the reg have my upmost respect. My most logical thought is most of the deer around here were implanted. So there timing was based on where they where captured. Then over time things got deluted down genitic wise. The native deer here are a species that a mature buck typically is around 130lbs. Yet in my area I've killed 2 year olds over 150 and biggest bodied buck ever was right at 200# field dressed. I don't really have a clue just a shot in the dark of the why.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm

cspot wrote:Here is an article about it. https://www.qdma.com/chasing-explanatio ... s-odd-rut/

Have not read the article yet so hope I don't jump the gun and thanks for posting. But as color coding goes I'm towards the top NE of Tx and I can assure u Dec is where it's at. This is not just a random observation, but sightings, lifetime in area experience and fawn birthing dates. Which once again leaves me scratching my head about why they give the dates for my area. Will say from the time velvet is shed until the time the last buck drops his antlers there's some WHOOPIE going on. But the bulk of it is nowhere close to where these guys predict or reasoning.

Will read when I get a chance and apologize if I jumped the gun. But off colors same ole stuff
-John Wayne-
Dalton916

Unread postby Dalton916 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Age structure and doe-buck ratios play a larger role than most perceive in a lot of the southern States.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:46 pm

This is the closest to accurate based on mine and many friends and family's observations. I hunt in saline, Garland and Perry county public land and about October 20th you better be in a tree if you get a cold snap. Places I hunt in grant, Jefferson and arkansas county seem to be the best rut activity around Thanksgiving year in and out.
FB_IMG_1563846123945.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Dalton916 wrote:Age structure and doe-buck ratios play a larger role than most perceive in a lot of the southern States.

I will agree age structure and sex ratio play into the intensity and activities. But don't personally feel it has anything to do with a doe's biological clock. I'm after what triggers our deer to come into estrus
-John Wayne-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm

1900A5DB-B121-40C8-908C-DD2A2E584DCF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

7F2EBC18-006E-49B6-A7BB-C3075E0DD9CD.jpeg

This is a very accurate representation of MS from my experience. I actually really like having our rut the way it is. Plays into my hand. Spend a week in the Midwest in November. catch the pre-rut in a several really good public areas 30-45 minutes from my house in late November through mid December. Then stay at home from December 20-Jan 31 and catch all phases of the rut on my private pieces.

As to why? The most accepted answer here has always been the different strains of deer brought. I imagine it also has something to do with adaptation of when it’s most advantageous for the deer to drop fawns.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Louisiana, and in my experiences over 65 years deer hunting in these different areas of the state it is darned close.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/lo ... ng-periods
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:54 pm

I believe the early rut in south Florida and other parts of peninsular Florida has to do with water levels. I believe the deer have adapted to drop fawns when water levels are low. Then they are mature enough not to drown when water levels are high again. In most of peninsular Florida there is no getting away from water, particularly in the Everglades down south.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:04 am

That is why I stay in the woods the entire season. Two years ago I didn't see much in November. I took my 2 week vacation and was disappointed. I decided to go hunting the second week of December that year. When I got there I jumped a few deer which was good considering on public land I never see anything in December. After daylight broke I saw 18 deer that morning. There were two hot doe and two huge bucks chasing. After that I don't miss a day that I have the time to get in the woods. I am in North Carolina
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:45 am

The biggest thing we must remember as hunters is our visual data is only a sliver of a fraction of the areas represented in these maps. These maps reflect peak rut. Rut lasts longer than a week. All the outliers we witness at extreme ends of the spectrum are just that. They don’t reflect the majority. The rut in my area reflects what the scientific data shows but I still see rut activity at odd periods but thats a doe here and there. You guys hunting the coastal regions definitely have some weird stuff going on. I’ll pray for you Florida boys. :lol:
D5FA9806-32D8-4B35-8E19-716227978CB4.jpeg
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”