Rules of swamp / marsh hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Rules of swamp / marsh hunting

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am

I am from SE Pennsylvania and I normally hunt hills or farms. I been thinking about going down to MD and hunting the marsh swamp ground down there, my question is how do you travel that terrain safely without drowning. Never set foot in one before.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Rules of swamp / marsh hunting

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Look up deerhuntermark in a search on this forum and then look for the Beast Workshop videos. Dan demonstrates the duck walk in one.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm

You learn by falling in and years of experience, not a lot of shortcuts so just go slow and take your time. Start with some shorter distances and move further back into the swamp as you get more comfortable. I have been walking swamps my whole life and the only certainty you have is you WILL get wet, it is going to happen, just understand that and you will be fine.

Some spots with floating bog or cattails can be more dangerous because there can be deeper water under them and sometimes you don't even have time to catch yourself. However if you are going slow and feeling your way through every step there a far less chance of you going through into some deeper water. 99% of the time you will just dunk a boot or two and cool yousrelf down. Also a backup gps, compass or both is important because it is very easy to get turned around after dark.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Sometimes in the salt marsh, depending on the density of the grass, I’ve found I can walk right across easy like a wet crop field. As you get closer to the typical high tide mark you could go in right up to your waist in some spots. Mostly though you can get by with knee boots.

If you have to cross water you either need to swim or use a boat. If you try to walk through a tidal ditch in a salt marsh you are probably going to regret it at the very least. I would definitely plan on scouting ahead of time.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm

Accept the fact that you are gonna get wet. And go have fun.

If the cattails are moving like a water bed, that’s bad.

Do not follow a guy half your size. Just cause he doesn’t break through, doesn’t mean you won’t. I quit following Jeff g at the workshop after that
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Here is a good thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29141
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Jonny wrote:If the cattails are moving like a water bed, that’s bad.

I can take a little movement, but yeah, the super squiggly waterbed is not something I’m fond of either. I was a little too close to open water once when I felt that real bad and I bailed on it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:54 pm

greenhorndave wrote:

I can take a little movement, but yeah, the super squiggly waterbed is not something I’m fond of either. I was a little too close to open water once when I felt that real bad and I bailed on it.

Taking a dunk is part of marsh hunting. Embrace it and enjoy the stinky bath. Nothing like the smell of marsh methane. :mrgreen:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Taking a dunk is part of marsh hunting. Embrace it and enjoy the stinky bath. Nothing like the smell of marsh methane. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I call it Fart Water. :D I have been there before. A dunk ain’t bad, it’s just the full plunge that isn’t my cup of tea. The one I spoke of was right at the edge of a lake. Super tippy and I didn’t feel like trying to swim with bow, stand, etc,
----------
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Yeah, I call it Fart Water. :D I have been there before. A dunk ain’t bad, it’s just the full plunge that isn’t my cup of tea. The one I spoke of was right at the edge of a lake. Super tippy and I didn’t feel like trying to swim with bow, stand, etc,

About 4-5 years ago one night on my way out I got my feet caught up and went face first with about 35 lbs of gear on my back and I was completely submerged. Worst part was I inhaled as I fell and swallowed a whole bunch of marsh water. The next day I got a nasty stomach virus that put me out of commission for a few days during peak rut. Fun times. :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 am

Dewey wrote: Nothing like the smell of marsh methane. :mrgreen:

Those methane pockets make winter scouting interesting too, broke through in some waste deep muck while scouting in late January and -10 degrees. Was cold for a while but you keep moving and you get the feeling back.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 am

headgear wrote:

Those methane pockets make winter scouting interesting too, broke through in some waste deep muck while scouting in late January and -10 degrees. Was cold for a while but you keep moving and you get the feeling back.

Yeah, I get more careful and duck walk when I get whiffs of the fart water in a previously hard-frozen swamp. Had a few bust-throughs getting overconfident. Almost always get a whiff first.
----------
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 am

headgear wrote:

I fell through Rome pond when I was ice fishing about 10 years ago (back when it was good for a couple years). Foot of water and muck with no bottom. Had to throw my boots out. Never could get rid of the smell.

But that’s what happens when you ice fish in April and limit out on big crappies. Well worth it but my god does that stuff stink.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”