Asking Permission to Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Asking Permission to Hunt

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am

I have identified a few private properties id like to hunt. Any advice on how to handle the situation other than being polite and nice?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Asking Permission to Hunt

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 am

Yes! Realize going in that if they wanted the place hunted there would already be hunters there. It's your job to convince em that they need u there hunting. If u have ample supply of cash now would be the time to drop it! If not I hope u are a wordsmith or your fresh out of luck IMO.

Gotta have something people want in my experience to get what u want. Just showing up and stuttering your way through a u mind if I hunt just don't cut the mustard in my area. Gotta get creative...
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am

I've always had the best success getting permission when I know someone who knows the landowner, even if it's just been a neighbor who suggested I go down the road. When you can say so and so referred me to you, it helps a lot. Even better if someone can introduce you.

The other route I've had some good success with is introducing myself, and including where I live when I'm giving my name. This helps a ton if you are local, especially if you live within 5 miles. I think it makes em think of you kinda like a neighbor.

The other thing that helped a lot when my kids were younger was bringing them with me, most people are softies for a parent with young kids trying to put food on the table.

And when all else fails, do what boogieman said and offer money :lol: All kidding aside, there was a good piece on this including a sample letter you can send prospective property owners introducing yourself ahead of an in person stop by their house on meateater a year or two ago. It was pretty good.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

I have been very fortunate talking to people. Be yourself, friendly and considerate. Dont “bother” someone when asking. If someone is busy, come back another time.

I make small talk at first but kinda feel them out quickly and get to the point rather than wasting their time (if they seem annoyed). I will often ask the landowner if they see much wildlife around...if theyre friendly, then ask if they ever allow anyone to hunt.

Their reply will give you an idea how to move forward. If they say they have leased hunting rights before then you automatically know its gonna be about $.

Feel them out, talk to them, be yourself. After all thats who they're going to get to know if permission is granted
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Depends where you live and what type of area it is, whether it gets heavy hunting pressure already, whether there is trophy potential, etc.

Around me it's rural with low trophy potential and there are lots of deer. I know most people or they know of me or vice versa. I usually get to know them a little bit before asking and establish a reputation. Some people I feel them out for a couple years before asking. I don't ask much and usually gain a new piece every couple years and usually drop a piece, but I have plenty of public also.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 pm

If you don't want to show up at someones door cold turkey, you could write them a letter. In the letter state your name , some background info, your intentions, contact info and date/time you plan to show up at their doorstep. This way if they dont want you to show, they will call you and state so ahead of time. I've used this technique a few times with limited success (meaning it HAS worked). Like with any other technique, be prepared for a lot of NO.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Being local, or knowing someone they know will help you for you. Be polite and dont dress up like a salesman, but dont show up dressed like Rambo either. One thing I think is very important is if you knock or ring the doorbell to step down off the steps or porch so you dont appear threatening.
One thing I've done instead of offer cash is offer services. Baling hay, picking rock, fixing fence, just cleaning up trees or building sites. And most importantly if you get permission dont disappear after season is over. Some landowners like talking so I'll stop in from time to time. Others seem busy and I dont want to waste their time. I've even offered to help elderly landowners that have told me no. After a few days of sweat equity some have changed their mind.
Handing out a business card or something with your name and number even if they say no. Sometimes they'll change their mind. And if they say yes or no, but are decent about it, ask if they know anyone else who might be willing to allow you to hunt.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Some good advice above. I prefer to keep it pretty short and sweet. If they say no then just smile and say you understand and move on. It definitely helps to have an in by having a connection with them. Also try to stop at a time when you don't think they will be busy or you would be bothering them. I sometimes have driven past a place I wanted to ask permission several times on different days until I see the person out and not looking overly busy. Now don't do this too much or you could get a restraining order against you. :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

burkhart wrote:People make this harder than it needs to be...
1. Walk up
2. Shake hand and introduce yourself
3. Be polite and ask to BOW hunt most farmers shy away from gun hunting but that s something u can earn

This simple 3 step process has gotten me more ground than I know what to do with, Invited in for dinner and once a farmer wanted to introduce his daughter to me :shock:

Was she cute?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:48 am

1. Walk up
3. Be polite and ask to BOW hunt most farmers shy away from gun hunting but that s something u can earn

This simple 3 step process has gotten me more ground than I know what to do with, Invited in for dinner and once a farmer wanted to introduce his daughter to me :shock:

I always emphasize the "BOW HUNT" part. Don't say "can I deer hunt on your land?" because like stated most guys shy away from gun hunters or gun hunt themselves which brings up another thing I usually mention. Usually if I know people probably gun hunt it, I say that I won't hunt on their property during gun season(s) before I even know if they or others gun hunt it.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 am

Come across as low impact as possible. "I only hunt a few times a year" "only bow hunt" "will not cut trees" "will not leave trash" "will not leave permanent stands/blinds" ect
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 am

1. Walk up

This made me laugh, had the same thing happen a couple years ago...awkward. I had a guy once that was so impressed I hunted deer with a BOW, that he bragged to all his neighbors about it :lol: Another time I asked a guy if he deer hunted his land, he said no only humans :shock: I do the letter thing ahead of knocking if I don't know the person. Works for me about 30% of the time so I just play the odds and hit up like 10-15 properties at once. Its just a numbers game...funny how the properties I least expect to get permission tend to be the ones that say yes.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 am

Where I live at in south east Michigan, it is almost impossible to get land to hunt. I have asked about 50 different farmers or people in general and had one farmer let me for a season. After that he sold the farm and the new farmer had a guy already call it. With most farmers its been, "yea I will get you a place to hunt, just come back at another time and will figure it out". That turns into a few trips and then I get the memo. I had one say yes, Ill get you a spot and then actually drove over to my house and said that with his insurance he could not let anybody hunt. Around me unless you have family or close friends its hard to get a spot
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:13 am

I've only asked permission once it was a yes.
I was also 15 and couldn't drive so I asked the man a few doors down if I could bow hunt. He probably would've felt bad if he said no. He said sure just don't shoot the bow torward the house.

Nowadays it's all about the Benjamin's sadly.

Probably the best way is take a young family member or new hunter along explain they are leaning to hunt which is true and could you both bow hunt on the property. After having polite conversations and leaving no mess it might open doors. This way your being honest and it's hard to say no to kids. Of course take the youth when they can go.

I spend a hundred a year on girl scout cookies and boy scout popcorn I never eat.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 am

I am fortunate enough to own the 15 acres behind my house. I had a guy last yr come to the door in December and say "My name is Joe blow, Im really looking to STICK A DEER. You think I could hunt your place?" :shock:

Don't tell the landowner you want to "Stick a deer". That just sounds cruel and I imagined deer walking around wounded with arrows sticking out of them. He was sent on his way.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”