Asking Permission to Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CattailCommander

Re: Asking Permission to Hunt

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:27 am

Hildebrand wrote: I had one say yes, Ill get you a spot and then actually drove over to my house and said that with his insurance he could not let anybody hunt. Around me unless you have family or close friends its hard to get a spot

Shouldn't state law of trespassing/written permission protect the landowner from any liability? Which is another thing that doesn't hurt to bring up, is that with written permission the landowner is protected from anything like that (at least in MN) if I understand it all correctly.

bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 am

bcarey2 wrote:
Hildebrand wrote: I had one say yes, Ill get you a spot and then actually drove over to my house and said that with his insurance he could not let anybody hunt. Around me unless you have family or close friends its hard to get a spot

Shouldn't state law of trespassing/written permission protect the landowner from any liability? Which is another thing that doesn't hurt to bring up, is that with written permission the landowner is protected from anything like that (at least in MN) if I understand it all correctly.

To my knowledge in Iowa it doesn't. I lost two places due to attorneys of landowners advising them not to allow hunting because if an accident occurred they could still be held liable. I even offered to sign a contract/waiver that the attorney could draw up, but the attorney said one could still be overturned in court and ot wasn't worth the risk for his client. This was about 3 years ago so things may have changed, but both still dont allow hunting any longer.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:59 am

Another key to remember when asking, is to only ask for yourself. Don't try to include anyone else unless they are present.
Many states have a hunter cooperator agreement that can landowners enroll in. This does two very important things for the landowner, first it releases them from liability. It basically allows their property to fall under "public access" like hunting a WMA or game lands.
Second, it bring their property under regular warden patrolling(at least in PA). States that do this will post it on the websites.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 am

bigbuckhunter88 wrote:
bcarey2 wrote:

To my knowledge in Iowa it doesn't. I lost two places due to attorneys of landowners advising them not to allow hunting because if an accident occurred they could still be held liable. I even offered to sign a contract/waiver that the attorney could draw up, but the attorney said one could still be overturned in court and ot wasn't worth the risk for his client. This was about 3 years ago so things may have changed, but both still dont allow hunting any longer.

I believe Indiana has a liability waiver on the DNR website for people to use.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 am

I have got permission to hunt some smaller suburban / rural properties for myself and my guy. Being female I think helped. Chose places with large gardens who were more likely to see deer as a nuisance and want them gone.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:43 am

burkhart wrote:People make this harder than it needs to be...
1. Walk up
2. Shake hand and introduce yourself
3. Be polite and ask to BOW hunt most farmers shy away from gun hunting but that s something u can earn

This simple 3 step process has gotten me more ground than I know what to do with, Invited in for dinner and once a farmer wanted to introduce his daughter to me :shock:

This......I always have a formal agreement that states my name address cars with liscense #, and basically a waiver that I have signed. It may not be legally worth a hill of beans, but it shows forethought and professionalism. Take a small something with you like a gift and give it either way. I used working hands cream. I like meeting people and I figure if you don't ask you don't know. If you get 1 spot and 10 no's that's still one more spot than you had. Around here it's pretty easy, but I never found a private spot that was good enough to worry about getting or not getting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:31 am

briar wrote:
1. Walk up
3. Be polite and ask to BOW hunt most farmers shy away from gun hunting but that s something u can earn

This simple 3 step process has gotten me more ground than I know what to do with, Invited in for dinner and once a farmer wanted to introduce his daughter to me :shock:

This......I always have a formal agreement that states my name address cars with liscense #, and basically a waiver that I have signed. It may not be legally worth a hill of beans, but it shows forethought and professionalism. Take a small something with you like a gift and give it either way. I used working hands cream. I like meeting people and I figure if you don't ask you don't know. If you get 1 spot and 10 no's that's still one more spot than you had. Around here it's pretty easy, but I never found a private spot that was good enough to worry about getting or not getting.

I don't know where u people hunt but I want some of that action :lol: Here, we'll look on Craigslist yourself for Texas. You got idiots with 25 acres wanting 4 guns at $2500 each. In my parts landowners aren't idiots they know what there neighbor with half as much land is getting. So a howdy sir the wife made u a peach cobbler gets u $2490 short of expectations. Letters ain't worth a flip, your asking a guy to make a effort to read your letter and call u back. To me it's no diff than if you are a butcher and a guy knocks on your door asking for a ribeye. You better have something of value or your gonna be walking away with nothing but your crotch in your hand. Atleast that's the experience in my area. Now if folks are just refusing money to everyone else so they can see your smiley face I would say u got a good thing going keep it on the DL
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
_Splinter_

Unread postby _Splinter_ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm

A lot of it boils down to simply knowing people. My Dad goes up and has coffee with a bunch of old farmers every morning and that has helped me gain a spot or two. He's also just became the county highway superintendent so maybe there is some more opportunity for me there. I'd say I could use my career in lumber/hardware sales to gain some more spots as well. Don't be scared to work for some access either. I've put a few hours in on a White field boss baling straw and helping move equipment and fill up planters. Maybe get involved in your community as a volunteer to help establish yourself.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
briar wrote:
1. Walk up

I don't know where u people hunt but I want some of that action :lol: Here, we'll look on Craigslist yourself for Texas. You got idiots with 25 acres wanting 4 guns at $2500 each. In my parts landowners aren't idiots they know what there neighbor with half as much land is getting. So a howdy sir the wife made u a peach cobbler gets u $2490 short of expectations. Letters ain't worth a flip, your asking a guy to make a effort to read your letter and call u back. To me it's no diff than if you are a butcher and a guy knocks on your door asking for a ribeye. You better have something of value or your gonna be walking away with nothing but your crotch in your hand. Atleast that's the experience in my area. Now if folks are just refusing money to everyone else so they can see your smiley face I would say u got a good thing going keep it on the DL

Saw a 180 acre piece being advertised for $80k a year lease in the Mississippi market bulletin. 80k!!! The county it’s in probably doesn’t even rank in the top third of the state for big bucks or turkey numbers. But some idiot out there will pay it I’m sure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Huntress13 wrote:I have got permission to hunt some smaller suburban / rural properties for myself and my guy. Being female I think helped. Chose places with large gardens who were more likely to see deer as a nuisance and want them gone.

The garden thing is a good idea.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:49 pm

thwack16 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
briar wrote:
1. Walk up

Saw a 180 acre piece being advertised for $80k a year lease in the Mississippi market bulletin. 80k!!! The county it’s in probably doesn’t even rank in the top third of the state for big bucks or turkey numbers. But some idiot out there will pay it I’m sure.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 am

I too once had permission on so many properties I couldn't hunt them all. That was a long time ago, in a world we no longer live.I am not trying to be a downer, it is just the way it is. Around here if the outfitters don't have it leased up some other bunch does. By the slim chance you do gain permission, chances of having the place to yourself are slimmer yet. About the only way I know to obtain local permission on any place worth hunting is to already have an "in" with the property owner. The days of a good old boy showing up and schmeezing his way into a hunting spot have been long gone around my area. :cry: The old tried and true ways to gain permission are timeless, you will just have to be extraordinarily lucky for it to work around here. My time is better spent scouting good public to hunt. Good luck.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Be respectful the whole time regardless of what they say.
If they say no, say thanks for your time and walk away.
Ask them all, worst they can say is no. It’s not the end of the world.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

In Ohio I was about 1 for 100
Pa 1 for 4

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”