What is the one tactic that leads to success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

What is the one tactic that leads to success

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 am

What is the one scenario or tactic that will lead to slam dunk success in your experience. What terrains and time periods do these scenarios happen. I've been in areas with scrapes every 10 yards where I could smell tarsal and I knew it was gonna be a good sit. Short of that I am learning how why deer move and am soaking it all in like a sponge. What gets everyone going and you know its going to be a special sit.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Dewey

Re: What is the one tactic that leads to success

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 am

Cruising trails downwind of doe bedding suddenly become pounded with big tracks overnight. Never fails when I find this I’m in for a very exciting hunt. The key is to monitor these known areas and hit them immediately when the sign tells you. There is usually on a 1-2 day window where you have to be there for the best action. I find it’s usually in the Nov. 1-5 range.
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:16 am

Dewey wrote:Cruising trails downwind of doe bedding suddenly become pounded with big tracks overnight. Never fails when I find this I’m in for a very exciting hunt. The key is to monitor these known areas and hit them immediately when the sign tells you. There is usually on a 1-2 day window where you have to be there for the best action. I find it’s usually in the Nov. 1-5 range.

I agree with that Dewey. That 1-2 day window for my area is typically the week of Halloween (10/25 - 10/31) and it looks like an absolute circus in the woods.

The second thing that I've had great success with is hunting the first few days of season when the deer are still in their summer patterns and have no idea they are being hunted yet. This is common sense but a bunch of people refuse to hunt when it's hot.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:31 am

Is there really a tactic that leads to success? I dont know if you can really point at certain thing, if there was we wouldnt need the beast?
To me if its anything, and i was taught here, its hard work!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Is there really a tactic that leads to success? I dont know if you can really point at certain thing, if there was we would need the beast?
To me if its anything, and i was taught here, its hard work!

Several tactics lead to success.....sitting in a tree can be considered a tactic and the beast is great at sharing those tactics for sure. I know what you mean though and just giving you a hard time. 100% agree with you about hard work. That is 95% of the equation.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 am

I think first sits are important. So being mobile is probably the best tactic that leads to success.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 am

Seems like a bit of a loaded question. There are so many things that need to all come together to be successful. No one thing is going to lead to a slam dunk IMO. If I had to chose one of the most important aspects of success with deer hunting it would be doing a lot of scouting and getting very familiar with the areas you are hunting.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am

Having confidence in your setups. Hard work and the scouting you put in will lead to more confidence.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 am

I know scouting and confidence are key, but what is that one thing that puts you in overdrive when you walk into a setup. Mine is a ton of fresh scrapes in a small area. I only found areas like this a few times and knowing what I learned from Dan's teaching I probably over hunted these areas making them go cold.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:What is the one scenario or tactic that will lead to slam dunk success in your experience.

There isn't one...

What terrains and time periods do these scenarios happen. I've been in areas with scrapes every 10 yards where I could smell tarsal and I knew it was gonna be a good sit.

Short of that I am learning how why deer move and am soaking it all in like a sponge.

That's the key. Until you've got enough experience under your belt to recognize a high odds set as your walking into it, you'll most likely fail. That's the one thing to me though. Having the determination to keep going, failing, learning, and repeating.

What gets everyone going and you know its going to be a special sit.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:24 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I know scouting and confidence are key, but what is that one thing that puts you in overdrive when you walk into a setup. Mine is a ton of fresh scrapes in a small area. I only found areas like this a few times and knowing what I learned from Dan's teaching I probably over hunted these areas making them go cold.

My answer is the same lol. You asked for one thing, I gave you my #1.

If you want more than one answer then yes, hot sign, virgin sit, perfect weather conditions, etc.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am

Hunting anywhere but Florida!!! I joke, but i'm sorta serious as well. Hunting where you KNOW a shooter buck lives is my #1.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I know scouting and confidence are key, but what is that one thing that puts you in overdrive when you walk into a setup. Mine is a ton of fresh scrapes in a small area. I only found areas like this a few times and knowing what I learned from Dan's teaching I probably over hunted these areas making them go cold.

My answer is the same lol. You asked for one thing, I gave you my #1.

If you want more than one answer then yes, hot sign, virgin sit, perfect weather conditions, etc.

:clap:
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am

Gene Wensel gave a seminar years ago. At the time he has Four points for success and I still agree with them today.

1. You must hunt where mature bucks live.
2. Let the small bucks walk.
3. Time in the stand ( increases the odds but still hunt smart)
4. After the first three now you must make the shot and kill him.
The Spirit Lives On
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am

Hunting fresh sign with the right conditions.

But that is putting the cart before the horse. Knowing what fresh sign you need to see, and where you need to see it, combined with knowing the right conditions to hunt it can take years to figure out and is more like a lifelong learning event. And then just when you think you have it figured out you realize how wrong you really were when you get busted and see that big buck trotting off...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”