scouting new property this weekend map attached

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck56

scouting new property this weekend map attached

Unread postby Buck56 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 pm

new to all this. have watched the videos, so have decent idea of what to look for but would appreciate any all ideas on where to look, especially where that top 1/3 line would be. only have 1 day to scout this piece, its about 275 acres. thanks

https://s332.photobucket.com/user/rance ... e.png.html

Buck56

Re: scouting new property this weekend map attached

Unread postby Buck56 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:23 am

I would start by walking along or just above/below the 1000 ft elevation line in the middle of the property. Also the 900-1000 ft elevation lines in the southwest corner of the property. These elevation looks to be the military crest, where the flatter top changes to a steep drop. I would also walk the creek in the north...This time of year when its thick and green, look for tracks in the softer ground coming in/out of the thick bends along the creek.

The place is going to be a thick jungle this time of year. Trails and old beds will be grown in, rubs will be scarred over, and thick vegetation will cut down on visibility. Don't be discouraged if you don't find a bunch of beds in July. It will still be a worthwhile experience.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:17 am

Fantastic looking piece alot of edges and appear good bedding.
Pinks where I would focus. Buck movement should be along the edges. If the property's only blue lines I would get as close to those pink dots as possible.

I few places I marked appear bedding a few appear rut timeframe. I really like that Northeast corner the most.

Anywhere in between that northeast triangle is good at check out.

Screenshot_20190704-091623_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:23 am

What’s your prevailing wind? Another beast member helped me with that and it has changed the game for me. I’d find that out and focus in on those areas. For example, if it’s usually a west wind in that area, scout bedding that’s relevant to that terrain according to the beast.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:02 am

Screenshot_20190704-100054_Photo Editor.jpg

This is what I would walk if I only had access to blue.

Walking that pink edge you should locate a rub line and trail leading uphill to buck bedding. Follow the trail uphill. If you walk up high where the bedding is located its easy to walk past.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buck56

Unread postby Buck56 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 pm

thanks for all the help its much appreciated. im going to focus in on the areas suggested.

prevailing wind it out of west, probably not ideal
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:57 pm

11.png

I usually don't comment on these but this one looks too good. Great looking WV shaped property lol.

I would start looking for buck bedding overlooking access (red arrows), then as already mentioned, would walk the 1000 elevation looking for bedding and sign. For rut hunting or sign I would look at the saddle and two high points (red circle). I would expect between these areas you will find something worthwhile or find sign leading to something worthwhile. Good luck.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:02 am

brancher147 wrote:11.png

I usually don't comment on these but this one looks too good. Great looking WV shaped property lol.

I would start looking for buck bedding overlooking access (red arrows), then as already mentioned, would walk the 1000 elevation looking for bedding and sign. For rut hunting or sign I would look at the saddle and two high points (red circle). I would expect between these areas you will find something worthwhile or find sign leading to something worthwhile. Good luck.

I always like looking at these it helps with how other hunters see the terrain. Even beast see terrain differently and scout areas in a different way. I think it's really cool.

The really experienced beast never comment on these I guess either ego or they just try to keep their spots secrets. If we didn't post on these maps sadly noone would. I'm not the best hunter but I do try to help in any way I can.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:03 am

I sure learn a lot from everyone’s input! Thanks to all that take the time to post. I’ve never hunted in the hills so I don’t have any advice. I look forward to hearing what you find!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Hope you find some good stuff on your scouting trip tomorrow.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Id anticipate the best bedding, inside of the blue area, will be the ridge system overlooking your access spot.

The way those draws, fingers & ridges setup are perfect for multiple winds.. plus they overlook hunter access AND have thermals rising straight to them.

NE should be a good rut funnel, rubs will tell you the where & how they use it.

The forest age & cover will be a big deciding factor here.. if it’s all old, mature hardwoods that’s a closed canopy forest with no undergrowth, I’d expect the bedding to be more early season.

I’d expect a lot of deer to shift towards the older clear cuts to the SE & SW if that’s the case.

Good luck, looks like a good property
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”