Cold weather weakness.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Cold weather weakness.

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:50 pm

muddy wrote:....I wear a back support thing that has pockets in it. In those pockets I put the XL hand warmers that go 18 hours. Having 2-4 of them on my kidney areas is a freaking game changer.

It’s a huge game changer.

Your kidneys filter your entire blood supply nearly twice and hour and having heaters no pads there warms the blood a little as it is filtered.

I opt for the Thermacare wraps. They are convenient, run for 8-10 hours, and they get pretty hot hot.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
muddy wrote:....I wear a back support thing that has pockets in it. In those pockets I put the XL hand warmers that go 18 hours. Having 2-4 of them on my kidney areas is a freaking game changer.

Your kidneys filter your entire blood supply nearly twice and hour and having heaters no pads there warms the blood a little as it is filtered.

I opt for the Thermacare wraps. They are convenient, run for 8-10 hours, and they get pretty hot hot.

Bob

Those are the wraps, just couldn't place the name. The generic ones have replaceable warmers, or at least the ones i use do. If it's really cold I use 2, one forward and one backward. Warm as a tick dug into a dogs ear.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

To go along with this, keep your neck protected and warm. Your blood supply going up to your brain is vulnerable.
My factory job has been a challenge during summer months over the years. Once I started laying a handtowel over my neck/shoulder filled with ice, I could take ANY temps. Also as a motorcycle rider the weather felt 10 degrees warmer when wearing a neck gaiter.

I would like to try some other socks like bison or alpaca. Cheapskate side of me is struggling with the prices.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:02 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

To go along with this, keep your neck protected and warm. Your blood supply going up to your brain is vulnerable.
My factory job has been a challenge during summer months over the years. Once I started laying a handtowel over my neck/shoulder filled with ice, I could take ANY temps. Also as a motorcycle rider the weather felt 10 degrees warmer when wearing a neck gaiter.

I would like to try some other socks like bison or alpaca. Cheapskate side of me is struggling with the prices.

Yes indeed. I wear a balaclava usually and have luckily never had any issues, but I've always been a hot head, just ask my parents!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 pm

I went to these ThermaCELL heated insoles last year. Keep on a low setting and they kept my toes from freezing. My circulation isn't what it used to be and these made a big difference. Shop around for a good price.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Profl ... B01M0AVMVG
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:18 am

justdirtyfun wrote:

Agreed. I always wear a scarf that my mom made me years ago.

The bison socks are worth it. They are spendy but worth it for me.

Bob

Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 pm

A lot of great answers here however proper nutrition should be mentioned. Your body wont be able to make heat if you have no calories to burn. The trick is to wake up early enough for a big bowl of oatmeal, bacon, eggs, toast and some coffee. You have to have enough time to poop as well. In the stand I have coffee, jerky and candy. With regard to boots hat and gloves. I wear real boots not rubber, I like a removable liner puffy kamik boot. They will breath enough for a hand warmer, although I dont count on that for my feet. A boot cover work like a charm as well. A fur lined hat for super cold or a nice merino hat that goes over my balaclava will ussually do the trick. I rarely wear gloves although I always have two pairs. I use a hand muff with a heater pack. I buy heater packs by the case, for the family and me. This setup is for an all day sit and will get me to 10 below for 6 hours and 0-5 all day. I use a climber during this portion of the season, and may even bring a wool blanket.............oh yeah wool everything. thats good. I rarely sit when the snow hits though. I love tracking and still hunting too much.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm

Over the years up here in Wisconsin...I’ve found that acclimation to the cold is absolutely huge. It’s helped tons. I rarely wear more than a hoody in winter, unless I’m ice fishing. But when acclimation isn’t enough, I’m in my heater body suit. Lol. :lol:
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 am

I've historically been a Merino wool guy, but given everyone seems to struggle w/feet and hands, I found the following article of interest. Anyone have experience with the alternate fabrics? Yak, Musk-Ox, Bision? I'm sure alpaca is more common as is merino...

The following link does a fabric comparison, as well as has product recommendations. Not sure it's the greatest data, but it is current to 2019.

From Reactual Jan '19, The Warmest Socks, Gloves, Hats and Scarves Of 2019

- https://reactual.com/clothing/warmest-socks.html
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 am

My nose is the first thing I notice. Got frostbite on it several years ago. It aches a bit when i get real cold. I cut the top out of a knit toboggan and slide it over my neck and face. That and a thermos of boiling hot coffee does the trick for me. I love hunting cold weather.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 am

Definately my hands and my feet. When temps drop down to the single digits or colder in late season I have to adjust my hunts accordingly. I hit the peak times and am hunting based on info gained by my observation sits. I do think this is where the one piece coveralls or similiar gear shine. The coldness and wind has a way to creep in through any openings in your outer layers.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:42 am

Dpierce72 wrote:I've historically been a Merino wool guy, but given everyone seems to struggle w/feet and hands, I found the following article of interest. Anyone have experience with the alternate fabrics? Yak, Musk-Ox, Bision? I'm sure alpaca is more common as is merino...

The following link does a fabric comparison, as well as has product recommendations. Not sure it's the greatest data, but it is current to 2019.

I have a pair of bison socks and gloves. Spendy bit worth it.

FWIW:
These are the ones I have:

https://buffalogold.net/products/american-field-bison-boot-sock

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Wool-Co-Extreme-Gloves/dp/B011WEZXGS

Bob

Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:43 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dpierce72 wrote:I've historically been a Merino wool guy, but given everyone seems to struggle w/feet and hands, I found the following article of interest. Anyone have experience with the alternate fabrics? Yak, Musk-Ox, Bision? I'm sure alpaca is more common as is merino...

I have a pair of bison socks and gloves. Spendy bit worth it.

FWIW:
These are the ones I have:

https://buffalogold.net/products/american-field-bison-boot-sock

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Wool-Co-Extreme-Gloves/dp/B011WEZXGS

Bob

Awesome ...THANKS!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:51 am

Dpierce72 wrote:
Awesome ...THANKS!

The gloves are really warm and soft. They won’t hold up briars or any tough stuff. I usually wear them inside of a pair of buckskin mittens I have when on stand.

Bob

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 am

I’d say hands, and it’s usually when I’m setting my stand or if I have to kayak in to a hunt.

Once on stand I have a solid system.

For guys looking for boot blankets but concerned about noise, check out the gray wolf woolens boot blankets. They are made out of their wolf skin material, little more costly than artics or the other brands but well worth it. If I have to get real close on a hunt I’ll sometimes throw them on just silence my boots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”