Small swampy pond bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwangle13

Small swampy pond bedding

Unread postby jwangle13 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:10 am

I was doing some public land scouting today and ran across an interesting area. It was a small pond and in the north side was like .25 to .50 acre area that was pretty overgrown. That was also surrounded by about waste height vegetation. I found 3 different beds in the overgrown vegetation surrounding the pond with matted down areas and even some long white hairs. In the middle there are lots of different trails. I followed a few but they didnt seem to go to bedding. I didnt walk every inch because I ran put of time. My question would be how to attack this thing. I could in theory shoot down into the surroundings vegetation if a deer came up my direction. The whole thing is like a bowl so when bedded I dont think they could see me unless I got too high in a tree. Should I focus on the edges or should I try and sneak in the middle and hunt the interior trails?

Double Draw

Re: Small swampy pond bedding

Unread postby Double Draw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:15 pm

I don't know a lot of details based on what you wrote but I would find a place several hundred yards from the area in question (assuming you can still see it to glass it), hang a stand and do an observation sit. You can even do it now. It may give you intel on what is using the bedding and how they are approaching it. Morning and evening would probably be most productive.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”