Buck pic and track pic opinions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tree Jockey
Facebook: Curt Simpkins

Buck pic and track pic opinions

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:10 pm

I was walking farm field edges looking for big tracks exiting the woods and found this very nice track. I'm located in central Indiana. I put up a cell cam next day . Here is the pic of the tracks and also pics of the only buck I have gotten a pic of in the location of the track .Im not good at judging body size on trail cam pics. I dont think the buck in the pic looks heavy enough to have made the tracks I found but would like some opinions on the track and the buck pic (The ground where the track was made is fairly dry and it is a walking track . I wear a size 11 shoe for reference)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stash59

Re: Buck pic and track pic opinions

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Tree Jockey wrote:I was walking farm field edges looking for big tracks exiting the woods and found this very nice track. I'm located in central Indiana. I put up a cell cam next day . Here is the pic of the tracks and also pics of the only buck I have gotten a pic of in the location of the track .Im not good at judging body size on trail cam pics. I dont think the buck in the pic looks heavy enough to have made the tracks I found but would like some opinions on the track and the buck pic (The ground where the track was made is fairly dry and it is a walking track . I wear a size 11 shoe for reference)

IMHO I think the track matches the body of the buck in the pics. The track is bigger than average, but not one of those "extra" large ones. Course track size in relation to body size. Can vary from region to region, state to state, deer management unit to unit.

Nice buck!!! Has a 3 Y.O. look to him IMHO.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:50 pm

That's a 3 year old solid built.
I think he made that track.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tree Jockey

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:21 am

That is what I was guessing also 3 year old buck.My thoughts for the deer track pics were the dew claw marks on the hard dry ground . That track was made in the tire track of the tractor that planted the field.( Soil compaction ) Do you think dew claw marks In hard ground would mean a much heavier buck then what I have in the pics? Appreciate the replys
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 am

Tree Jockey wrote:That is what I was guessing also 3 year old buck.My thoughts for the deer track pics were the dew claw marks on the hard dry ground . That track was made in the tire track of the tractor that planted the field.( Soil compaction ) Do you think dew claw marks In hard ground would mean a much heavier buck then what I have in the pics? Appreciate the replys

Could be the track was made early morning with a heavy dew on the ground! Which softened the ground just enough. Or there's a real slob that only goes through occasionally. I think some bucks take trips out of their core areas to check things out else where. Plenty of sightings like this during the rut, but I've seen an unknown buck go through in summer or other times of year too.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:59 am

That track looks pretty splayed out and dew claws very evident. I usually only see dew claw imprints from big slob bucks in light snow or thick mud and the track usually isn't as splayed like that. I personally wouldn't get too excited about it, looks like it was made by a deer moving fast which can exaggerate the size. Hard to tell from one pic though, did you see other tracks, like walking tracks or were they pretty spread out?

Don't know where your located but in my neck of the woods I would definitely consider the trail cam pics to be that of a mature buck.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:16 am

KIMG0441.JPG
KIMG1329.JPG

A couple of pics I just found quick that I took. Big mature bucks, walking tracks. One in snow and the other in hard pack sandy stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tree Jockey

Unread postby Tree Jockey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Yea they were walking tracks followed them across the bean field for a 1/4 mile
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:38 am

Tracks can be decieving. Some big bucks with small tracks and some small bucks with big tracks and every thing in between. Once you have a buck on camera you can study the track to know which buck made it next time you find the track.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”