Dan on down south podcast!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Dan on down south podcast!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:00 am

Hot Dawg! I can't wait. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but I'm chomping at the bit. Wasn't aware Dan has hunted down here so I'm excited to hear about the bed hunting and why all day hunting is a waste.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:Great Podcast Mike. I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm going to have to listen to it again to pick it apart. I also liked Pike giving his examples and Dan commenting.

Thanks Tufr. I knew Pike would have some good questions for Dan. I wad surprised at how much I missed the first time and picked up while editing it. It's a long one so I almost split it into 2, but figured that would be a pain to listen to. I'm going to have to go back and listen for a 3rd time before my first hunt.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:02 am

There's a lot of stuff there. I listened to it yesterday but i think i need to take notes and compare them to my observations. I'm glad Dan said it's harder to see beds down here. Made me feel better
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:02 am

Hunting in the deep south is absolutely different. Hair in beds..... dont sweat it guys, I rarely find it in deep south. I went up for 3 days scouting with Dan, every bed we looked at, in hill country, swamp and marsh terrain had hair in it and was easy to see in comparison.

Totally different than what you'd find typically in deep south. Maybe their terrain just holds sign better, but you'd have to be blind not to see the beds and hair up there, far more subtle down south. I think most southern guys would be surprised .... hairs literally in every bed it was very easy to see. Heck we even found hair in the deer trails. Having hunted both northern and southern states, and having seen the sign first hand in WI, IMO deer beds are a lot tougher to find down south. A lot tougher.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:28 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Hunting in the deep south is absolutely different. Hair in beds..... dont sweat it guys, I rarely find it in deep south. I went up for 3 days scouting with Dan, every bed we looked at, in hill country, swamp and marsh terrain had hair in it and was easy to see in comparison.

Totally different than what you'd find typically in deep south. Maybe their terrain just holds sign better, but you'd have to be blind not to see the beds and hair up there, far more subtle down south. I think most southern guys would be surprised .... hairs literally in every bed it was very easy to see. Heck we even found hair in the deer trails. Having hunted both northern and southern states, and having seen the sign first hand in WI, IMO deer beds are a lot tougher to find down south. A lot tougher.

What is considered down south? Below Canada?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Hunting in the deep south is absolutely different. Hair in beds..... dont sweat it guys, I rarely find it in deep south. I went up for 3 days scouting with Dan, every bed we looked at, in hill country, swamp and marsh terrain had hair in it and was easy to see in comparison.

What is considered down south? Below Canada?

exactly
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:42 am

Hunting the south definitely brings in new challenges.

I don't think guys up north really understand our type of pine plantations and thickets. Just like the Norths huge marshes seems so foreign to us.

I would love to see some of the Northern beast try hunting the south. All our thorns , snakes , hot weather, no snow to help locate bedding or track in.

I think the best example I have seen was when the hunting public did a Alabama scouting workshop. Wish they would do more like that.

Really enjoyed the podcast a few great nuggets of information.

I would love to see a hunting beast group from the south go hunt up north and northrn group come south.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 am

Boogieman1 wrote:What is considered down south? Below Canada?

Ha, kind of my question in this. We following the mason-Dixon? States with an Sec school? South of I70 west of the big muddy and south of the Ohio River on the east side?

There’s some pretty dang good hunting in some of the areas included in those. Granted they’re a bit different than WI, MN, and MI due to climate, but some of the areas can be real good. The ag areas in the south really don’t hunt that much different than the Midwest in my opinion. Western Kentucky, West Tn, MS & AR delta, MO bootheel, & the ag areas of GA, all fall in that scenario.

Interstate 20 is kind of the determinant for the landscape changing to tough hunting in my opinion. Still some decent areas below it, but definitely a different landscape.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 am

I enjoyed this on a lot being from AR.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:39 am

Very informative!!! You listen to some of these podcasts and one can tell the host is lacking experience leading to sub par questions. You can tell mike and pike know a fair amount and have tried many tactics discussed on this forum. Good job.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 am

thwack16 wrote:

Ha, kind of my question in this. We following the mason-Dixon? States with an Sec school? South of I70 west of the big muddy and south of the Ohio River on the east side?

There’s some pretty dang good hunting in some of the areas included in those. Granted they’re a bit different than WI, MN, and MI due to climate, but some of the areas can be real good. The ag areas in the south really don’t hunt that much different than the Midwest in my opinion. Western Kentucky, West Tn, MS & AR delta, MO bootheel, & the ag areas of GA, all fall in that scenario.

Interstate 20 is kind of the determinant for the landscape changing to tough hunting in my opinion. Still some decent areas below it, but definitely a different landscape.

I don't know if it is a north/south thing as much as it is ag/vs natural browse. IME non ag areas the food source changes a lot more.... ag areas, primary food sources remain pretty consistent with an occasional supplement of apples, nuts, etc.... but the primary food source stays relatively the same year after year. Natural browse can dramatically change annually as plants grow... one year a clear cut is great, then next year it could be above deer browsing..... drought, clear cutting, flooding, storms, etc. all seem to have an effect of an areas preferred browse on an annual basis. Corn, beans and alfalfa remain pretty consistent in most ag areas.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:47 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:

I don't know if it is a north/south thing as much as it is ag/vs natural browse. IME non ag areas the food source changes a lot more.... ag areas, primary food sources remain pretty consistent with an occasional supplement of apples, nuts, etc.... but the primary food source stays relatively the same year after year. Natural browse can dramatically change annually as plants grow... one year a clear cut is great, then next year it could be above deer browsing..... drought, clear cutting, flooding, storms, etc. all seem to have an effect of an areas preferred browse on an annual basis. Corn, beans and alfalfa remain pretty consistent in most ag areas.

This has been my experience as well. It is very difficult hunting bedding when there are food and water sources in multiple directions to the bed. Would love more info that is specific to the non-ag areas of the woods, as well as specific info on southern areas. Hoping that more can be learned and added to this website with these topics.
JMB

Unread postby JMB » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 am

Just the episode I've been waiting for. Big thanks to Mike, Pike, and Dan!

Mike, as a new hunter in South Florida, I can't thank you enough. Your podcast has been essential listening, and I've listened to certain episodes a half-dozen times at least. I'm determined to drag a buck out of the swamps down here, and you're getting a lot of the credit when I manage to.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am

Glad to hear a podcast focus on Southern Beast style Hunting. I hope there are more follow up podcasts further branching into hunting/scouting tactics for us Southerners.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 am

JMB wrote:Just the episode I've been waiting for. Big thanks to Mike, Pike, and Dan!

Mike, as a new hunter in South Florida, I can't thank you enough. Your podcast has been essential listening, and I've listened to certain episodes a half-dozen times at least. I'm determined to drag a buck out of the swamps down here, and you're getting a lot of the credit when I manage to.

Thanks. I'm learning with you man. You might drag one out of public before me. Glad to hear the podcast is helping!

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Very informative!!! You listen to some of these podcasts and one can tell the host is lacking experience leading to sub par questions. You can tell mike and pike know a fair amount and have tried many tactics discussed on this forum. Good job.

Thanks Broken. I've learned a few thing around here for sure. Along with Dan's videos of course.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”