Quartering and packing out set up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Quartering and packing out set up

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 pm

flinginairos wrote:
csoult wrote:Be sure to know the laws in your state. I was fined in Ohio for quartering and hiking out a deer before checking it. Here in PA it is perfectly legal and the game commission officers that I talked to here couldn't believe that it was law in Ohio. I have no idea what the laws are where you live, just a heads up.

Not to derail this thread, but you seriously got fined in Ohio for that? I always thought it was legal :?

I think it used to be illegal in Ohio but not anymore. I always cut mine up there and packed out- there is no other way I know of to get a deer out of some of those hollows on bigger areas. I would always call it in at some point when I got service on way back to the truck.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 am

brancher147 wrote:
flinginairos wrote:
csoult wrote:Be sure to know the laws in your state. I was fined in Ohio for quartering and hiking out a deer before checking it. Here in PA it is perfectly legal and the game commission officers that I talked to here couldn't believe that it was law in Ohio. I have no idea what the laws are where you live, just a heads up.

Not to derail this thread, but you seriously got fined in Ohio for that? I always thought it was legal :?

I think it used to be illegal in Ohio but not anymore. I always cut mine up there and packed out- there is no other way I know of to get a deer out of some of those hollows on bigger areas. I would always call it in at some point when I got service on way back to the truck.

Yeah, it's legal there, I called the DNR to make sure before I went there to hunt last year and the guy I talked to said I was good to go.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am

Many states are just slow to adopt the changes in techniques partially because they aren't experienced with it due to potential law enforcement concerns of how it could be abused or used to cheat the system. Many then realize it isn't an issue and adopt. In Nebraska, you can quarter a deer and antelope with the bones attached to the legs still, but you can bone out an elk. All states are different.

To the OP, any decent backpack that can handle 50# will work. Use trash compactor bags but make sure you don't get the ones with antibacterial stuff in them.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:48 am

I was fined in 2016, had plenty proof of sex as I had the head with me and it had antlers on it. Had my temporary tag attached and otherwise was completely legal. The way it was explained to me was that I was not allowed to butcher the animal in any way before it was checked. I hadn't heard that the rules have changed, but if they have then I think that's good thing.

It was about 15 minutes after this picture was taken. My pack was full of meat and my friend was carrying the rest of the meat.

Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 am

I keep a military surplus frame pack in my truck all season with paracord, heavy duty trash bags, extra flash light and batteries, and one of those lightweight knives with replacement scalpel blades. I think my pack is the Alice from Vietnam era. I wouldn't mind upgrading my pack to something that would be quieter in brush, so I would be more inclined to use it while hunting. Last year I decided to drag instead of making the walk to the truck and back to retrieve the pack. I regretted it for the next few days.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:27 am

csoult wrote:I was fined in 2016, had plenty proof of sex as I had the head with me and it had antlers on it. Had my temporary tag attached and otherwise was completely legal. The way it was explained to me was that I was not allowed to butcher the animal in any way before it was checked. I hadn't heard that the rules have changed, but if they have then I think that's good thing.

It was about 15 minutes after this picture was taken. My pack was full of meat and my friend was carrying the rest of the meat.

That makes sense then. You need to check.it in before you quarter, I didnt get a deer there last year but was going to check in over their phone line to be legal.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:19 am

Does anyone have experience with packing out meat on your stand? If so, I would love to hear more about this.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:59 am

I love my setup. Iv got the previous version of this game cart w backpack straps on it. This version seems to have better wheels. You would need to get some tree stand backpack straps and some netting as a base. You can see in the pic below it started dragging on me. To fix it, I used one of those cargo nets from the back of my SUV.
https://www.gomuddy.com/products/the-mule-game-cart/

My Buddy's Avg Size Doe

White Bedsheet/Pillow Cases
XL Rubber Bag
Bungees/Straps
Processing Knife Kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE&list=WL&index=8
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Packed my first one out this year. I’m never dragging more than a few hundred yards again. I bought a set of TAG bags that worked great. A bit pricey at $75 but man I see them handling lots of pack out jobs before they wear out. I have a Badlands 2200 pack that has been awesome over many years for all kinds of stuff and worked nice for packing out.

Kept my “kill kit” in the truck all season consisting of TAG bags, knives, paracord, elbow length gutting gloves, and brown cheap jersey gloves.

Process for me is, shoot deer, take bow, saddle, sticks, etc to truck and grab kill kit, grab lots of drinking water, walk back to shot site, track deer, admire and take pics, butcher deer using gutless method, carry out 5 bags of meat and the head in one trip. Pull out of the parking lot happy. That whole process was like 2-1/2 hours to get a deer 3/4 mile out of the woods. My guess is it was like 100 LB of fun all at once. Probably could cut 20 pounds or so by deboning in the field.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Tracks Matter
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:29 pm

Dragging sucks. I’d pay a fine before I drug out an animal. You don’t need a fancy pack either. I used a kelty redcloud 5600 for years that I bought used for $40. I have a mystery ranch now that has the load shelf between the frame and bag. This is a much better set up for mountain hunting where you may be camping in the backcountry with more gear.

If you are just shuttling quarters any decent pack with a waist belt will work. I’ve only shot one deer I couldn’t get out in one trip. It was a 6.5 year old toad of a whitetail and I just couldn’t stand up with my pack on.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:41 pm

I carry a cart, a sled and a Slumberjack Rail Hauler frame in the truck all season along with a "kill pack" with game bags, flagging tape, reflectors, extra light and batteries for my lights, extra havalon blades, a small butchering knife, a pull through sharpener, paracord, etc.

I haven't had to pack one out yet. Came close this year when a doe went down into hells canyon to die. Turned a rather easy drag out into a 900 some yard drag and I was battling an ear/sinus infection. Had it been a buck there'd been no way I could have drug it myself. She was 102lb gutted and I'd imagine I'd been about the same time/effort the pack her out.

My LWCG would pack a deer out fine too and that's always in the truck.

I'm usually alone and different areas require different means.

I'll shoot a buck pretty much anywhere. The worst the location the bigger it needs to be lol. But does, I have a pretty strict rule that I'm not breaking a sweat over them. This year was a reminder to be more careful lol. First doe was great...150yds down the hillside into the truck bed.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:18 am

flinginairos wrote:

Here in MO I believe the rule is you have to have it checked in before you do anything more than field dress it. You would be allowed to digitally notch your tag (on their app), then drag it out before checking it in if you only field dress it. But if quartering or deboning in the field you much do the complete check in beforehand. The problem comes when you don't have reception to complete the check in. What I usually do is notch the tag (doesn't require cell service) then while hiking out stop and try again to check it in every so often, just in case Mr game warden guy is waiting at the parking lot.
lincolnbowhunter25

Unread postby lincolnbowhunter25 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:43 am

You can’t go wrong with the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28. I’ve been using it for 2 seasons now and it does it all. I can carry 3 beast sticks, platform, saddle and bibs/heavy jacket for late season. I also packed my buck out this year with it. Got it all done in 1 trip. Can’t recommend the pack enough
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:57 am

First season trying the gutless pack out method. I threw a few deer into the canoe and a few others I had short drags. It’s definitely worth learning the technique and it is a game changer. It really opens the door that it’s feasible to kill any deer anywhere.

I’m not a new gear guy. I will buy the best I can afford on some things. I’m not out west, I’m not going through mountains, and I don’t have any hiking trips planned anytime soon. I honestly don’t shoot very many 200 pound deer that I’d need a heavier duty pack for. I also have very little need for a frame pack. I have a military style ruck sack with an aluminum frame that i could empty out and use and I would if the occasion called for it. I could also buy special game style plastic bags.

So far though, My first 3 gutless method pack outs have been a bit messy. Maybe I will try a tarp next time. For these 3 this season I had 2 regular school type backpacks that aren’t new, expensive or nice. I skinned the meat and put it into the two backpacks while keeping them as clean as I could. I threw them on my back one over the other one and hiked the 1 mile out with them no problem. They weighed 35-40 pounds apiece I’d guess.

I got home and turned on my water hose and rinsed the meat really well before putting it on ice in a chest cooler. After that, i rinsed out the backpacks really well and threw them on the fence upside to dry.

I have several sleds, my buddy has a few deer carts i could borrow whenever, I use quite a bit of different kinds of boats to hunt out of so buying a frame pack isn’t high on my list.

If I hunted mulies or elk or was hiking out west, I’d definitely get a nice frame backpack.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:57 am

lincolnbowhunter25 wrote:You can’t go wrong with the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28. I’ve been using it for 2 seasons now and it does it all. I can carry 3 beast sticks, platform, saddle and bibs/heavy jacket for late season. I also packed my buck out this year with it. Got it all done in 1 trip. Can’t recommend the pack enough

You even skinned the head out in the field. Must have been an early morning kill with plenty of time on your hands!
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”