South Dakota makes public land open 1 month later than private?!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

South Dakota makes public land open 1 month later than private?!

Unread postby krent12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:10 pm

This grinds my gears. Residents can hunt public and private sept 1. Non residents can hunt ONLY private sept. 1 but have to wait until Oct. 1 to hunt public. I don’t mind a draw system, a lot of states do that. But open a month later is

C0117E01-F977-44B7-B627-C13F4CF7C265.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dewey

Re: South Dakota makes public land open 1 month later than private?!

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Sounds like they don’t care for non-resident hunters. Maybe neighboring states should follow the same suit as them and see how they like it. :roll:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 pm

I’d vote with my feet. No thanks
Persistence is undefeated.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Don’t worry, they’re right below North Dakota whom has THOUSANDS of acres of Private land open to the public.. I wouldn’t sweat it honestly because there’s a lot better public land opportunities in that region of the US.

Still a buzzkill though, we as sportsman need to hold our representatives accountable more often.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Last I seen this was going to legislature. Did this actually pass or is this still up for vote?
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Thats a bummer, coming from the south it is much farther to North Dakota. Maybe I'll hunt northern Missouri instead.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:37 am

The residents are causing a huge fuss. They had the world by the short and curly for decades and now the secret is out. In all my time hunting S.D. I’ve only had another hunter effect my hunt once.

I said this on Fb too, (not trying to make anyone mad) but I feel that since the residents have to work a little harder to get their deer their world is ending. Can’t spot shooters from the truck anymore :whistle:

All I have to say is I see as many big bucks in a week in S.D. as I do all season in MN.

They’re experiencing point creep pretty bad right now. Thanks to the internet. Not fun for anyone and there’s no way to get rid of that.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:39 am

They all complain about the amount of NR vehicles they see. Funny thing is, they only give 8% of their rifle tags to NR. I don’t care how many trucks I see on the road. I care how many Hunter’s I see where I want to hunt. Which so far has been extremely few. Seems like 1/2 the guys out there, res and NR are scared to get out of the truck.
krent12

Unread postby krent12 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:19 am

FRH wrote:Last I seen this was going to legislature. Did this actually pass or is this still up for vote?

I can’t find any article since the end of May so I emailed this person about when I have to apply for a tag because it doesn’t tell you anywhere. And that was the response . It just pisses me off I guess lol
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 am

South Dakotans have always been protective of their wildlife. In addition, their big game resources are quite limited when compared to states east and west of them (more WT east and more pronghorn, elk and MD to the west. Combine those two issues with the fact that wildlife belong to the people of each state and I'm not surprised that SD is taking steps like that to limit NR.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:12 am

krent12 wrote:
FRH wrote:Last I seen this was going to legislature. Did this actually pass or is this still up for vote?

I can’t find any article since the end of May so I emailed this person about when I have to apply for a tag because it doesn’t tell you anywhere. And that was the response . It just pisses me off I guess lol

We’ve been planning a trip out there for opener for the last 6 months. I guess those plans will be changing if it is true. I don’t get why a state would do this. If your a resident you’re going to buy a tag regardless. But now your alienating non residents for a month, whose licenses are 6-7x more expensive. And if nonresidents get concentrated into a smaller part of the season the public lands are going to have that much more pressure during the prime hunting dates. I don’t think they really thought this through to well. Next there going to be complaining about all the hunters out there during the rut.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 am

I hate to be the odd man out, but this is a states rights issue here. Instead of a later opener for OOS hunters here in Missouri, I would prefer the MDC went to an Iowa type draw system for non-resident hunters. :shock:
krent12

Unread postby krent12 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:11 am

update. From today

B33FB7AF-CCDD-46F3-B9A6-541C67ED6BE8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krent12

Unread postby krent12 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:12 am

FRH wrote:
krent12 wrote:

We’ve been planning a trip out there for opener for the last 6 months. I guess those plans will be changing if it is true. I don’t get why a state would do this. If your a resident you’re going to buy a tag regardless. But now your alienating non residents for a month, whose licenses are 6-7x more expensive. And if nonresidents get concentrated into a smaller part of the season the public lands are going to have that much more pressure during the prime hunting dates. I don’t think they really thought this through to well. Next there going to be complaining about all the hunters out there during the rut.

Sounds like you will get a tag. But have to wait till oct 1 for public land
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:23 am

I guess that tells us that South Dakotas management is poorly done if they had good deer numbers and a healthy mature whitetail herd they would not be concerned with non residents.

Funny how states with poor whitetail management programs want to punish hunters. If a state isn't producing mature bucks it's because of poor management not allowing a healthy mature herd. Locals see non resident vehicles and blaim them for lack of mature deer instead of blaiming the state regulations that ruined the herds health to began with.

If states handled their hunting regulations properly very few people would need to travel to hunt if states added regulations that would create a healthy herd age structure.

Hunters kill the does then the herd goes to crap see it time after time. No new age structure being created to eventually reach a healthy mature herd. Mature does are the backbone of a healthy herd.

Kentucky should be a example all states to want to be a healthy herd with mature growth. They are the one state in the country who is doing a decent job managing its herd.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”