Small properties

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Small properties

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:08 am

I have several public properties I hunt that are long but only about 500 yards wide. I have suspicion on where they bed but I can't confirm this is the case. I see alot of doe and the occasional small buck but never anything big. Every few years someone takes a real nice buck during rut so I know the area holds good deer. How would you guys hunt these areas, should I keep throwing occasional rut sits at these areas due to the amount of doe or should i just fill my freezer early and then concentrate elsewhere.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Small properties

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 am

Some places are only any good when the rut is on. I have a 40 acre parcel that is similar to what you describe and I only hunt it a few times during the rut.

For me it’s a matter of maximizing effectiveness of my limited time by hunting specific areas at specific times. Some areas I only hunt when acorns are dropping, others only in rut and one spot I only hunt the last week of the season.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Scratchman

Re: Small properties

Unread postby Scratchman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:10 pm

I think areas like this can be a roll of the dice if you are not aware of any confirmed dominant buck bedding or sightings, that said.....if the does are there....
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”