Moving to Iowa for work, Process for acquiring resident license?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MATexbow

Moving to Iowa for work, Process for acquiring resident license?

Unread postby MATexbow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:36 am

Hi all,

Just got great news about a new job that will take me to Iowa for work. Obviously the first question on my mind is how I can get my residential hunting license in time for the Fall 2019 season. Anyone have any experience moving out there and what the process is like?

Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
ChasingFLATS86

Re: Moving to Iowa for work, Process for acquiring resident license?

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:21 am

When I lived there you had to be a resident for 6 months to get your license. That was 2004-2008.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am

I can’t help with the license question but just wanted to say Congrats on the new job. You might not be able to hunt this year but the future looks great for you. 8-)
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 am

Looks like you need to live there for 90 days before you can get a resident license.
That's what I had to do when I moved to SD last year.
They weren't super strict on it though, they just asked me what day I arrived here to live but didn't ask for any proof.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 am

OP: https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/up ... cy_faq.PDF

They may not ask for proof when you buy it, but if they would suspect something, you better be ready to prove it. Same for SD. Especially SD.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:37 am

Thanks everyone! Looks like 90 days as others have said. Looks like it would be a late October registration for me. Does anyone know if they restrict license sales during the season or is it just a walk in and purchase?

Also, do you need a current license to be able to scout during the offseason and summer?

Honestly can't believe I get the chance to hunt Iowa public land :shock: . Been dreaming about it since I was a kid hunting in stupid box blinds over scrub mesquite in south Texas.
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:41 am

Most of the time it’s an “X” amount of days from the day you get that states drivers license.

I’ve never seen it until I moved to MT but some states you actually have to call and reserve a spot. I had to wait a few weeks before I could get mine. Just a heads up before something stupid like that throws out a week of planned hunting.

Congrats btw!

And scout whenever nothing needed to do that
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:08 am

MATexbow wrote:Thanks everyone! Looks like 90 days as others have said. Looks like it would be a late October registration for me. Does anyone know if they restrict license sales during the season or is it just a walk in and purchase?

Also, do you need a current license to be able to scout during the offseason and summer?

Honestly can't believe I get the chance to hunt Iowa public land :shock: . Been dreaming about it since I was a kid hunting in stupid box blinds over scrub mesquite in south Texas.

As a resident, you can order licenses on-line or walk into a license vendor (sporting goods store/WalMart, etc) and buy one over the counter right up until the last day of season.

No license needed to scout. Carrying a firearm might complicate things a bit, so I'd leave it at home during the off seasons.
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks everyone! Pumped!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”