DIY Kentucky

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

DIY Kentucky

Unread postby Southern Buck » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am

Hey guys, I will be attempting my first out of state trip this year and have selected western Kentucky as my destination. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. I’ve always had the itch to test myself on an out of state hunting trip, and I finally got the go ahead from my wife as a Father’s Day gift.

Any tips, pointers, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Since we are talking public land if you had rather shoot me a pm that would be fine. I’ve done a lot of research already, and have a pretty good idea of where I’ll be headed, but I’d like to hear a little input from some guys who’ve already given the bluegrass state a go.

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: DIY Kentucky

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I hunt most western ky wma or have been there at some point it all depends what type of terrain you wanting to hunt. Most areas are good for shooting bucks, and good one but if your expecting big bucks around every corner, not so much, you will have to work for it
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01 pm

I hunt most western ky wma or have been there at some point it all depends what type of terrain you wanting to hunt. Most areas are good for shooting bucks, and good one but if your expecting big bucks around every corner, not so much, you will have to work for it
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:18 pm

that state is on my bucket list..... but I can tell you about out of state DIY trips because I have done a lot of them, and most of them solo...... the out of state hunt is an adventure, and having as much time as you can get, is a plus....... this is how I killed my first elk, a nice cow, to deer,,,,,, half the fun is the planning,,,,,,,,,,, here is my tips for traveling

Truck is packed, ready for me to be mobile and sleep in the back. stove and stuff on the tail gate, simple camp. I am not going on a camping trip, I am going hunting,,,,,,, you need to carry what you need,,,,,, not a lot of stuff you will never use,,,,, hit a motel for a shower and a refresh

First aid kit,,,, have a good one and know how to use it. Include quick clot, a tourniquet, and a 911 card. that card which I laminate and wear on my neck, has my name, emergency number, blood type, meds, allergies etc. Great info if you are unconscious and it helps first responders........ be prepared

keep your expectations real, and always be positive. when you start doing solo hunts, which I have done since I was a young man, tests you, and builds confidence. fun to hunt with others, but something more special on a solo hunt......

I have met some great locals, and have found a lot of generous hunters around,,,,,,,,,, Learn the areas weather patterns pretty easy to do that in this day and age

Have a plan and plan your hunt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good luck to you,,,,,,, I am doing one also this fall, to either South Dakota or Nebraska
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:10 am

tundra wrote:that state is on my bucket list..... but I can tell you about out of state DIY trips because I have done a lot of them, and most of them solo...... the out of state hunt is an adventure, and having as much time as you can get, is a plus....... this is how I killed my first elk, a nice cow, to deer,,,,,, half the fun is the planning,,,,,,,,,,, here is my tips for traveling

Truck is packed, ready for me to be mobile and sleep in the back. stove and stuff on the tail gate, simple camp. I am not going on a camping trip, I am going hunting,,,,,,, you need to carry what you need,,,,,, not a lot of stuff you will never use,,,,, hit a motel for a shower and a refresh

First aid kit,,,, have a good one and know how to use it. Include quick clot, a tourniquet, and a 911 card. that card which I laminate and wear on my neck, has my name, emergency number, blood type, meds, allergies etc. Great info if you are unconscious and it helps first responders........ be prepared

keep your expectations real, and always be positive. when you start doing solo hunts, which I have done since I was a young man, tests you, and builds confidence. fun to hunt with others, but something more special on a solo hunt......

I have met some great locals, and have found a lot of generous hunters around,,,,,,,,,, Learn the areas weather patterns pretty easy to do that in this day and age

Have a plan and plan your hunt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good luck to you,,,,,,, I am doing one also this fall, to either South Dakota or Nebraska

Thanks for the tips. I have an acquaintance who goes up to South Dakota every year for the early season and loves it. Shot a nice ten point a few years back.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”