Bedding locations within and hunting CRP

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Bedding locations within and hunting CRP

Unread postby The Silence » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 am

Last year I came across a mature buck that was using a small (2-4 acre) secluded CRP field as his bedding area. I went up to that area once earlier this year to see what details I could see but couldn't find a specific bed. Do you guys have any experience with how bucks bed in these areas as well as how they enter and exit them. For instance, would they normally set up within the CRP, but near the edge, so they can see out in front of them with the wind blowing through the CRP to their backs? This particular CRP patch has a strip of green grass on 2 opposite ends that are 10-15 yards deep that have annual rubs. The other 2 opposite sides include a fence line and the other backs up to the woods. It's a sanctuary so I want to handle this place carefully. I don't think I can get an observation stand anywhere near this area so I'm just trying to get a better idea of what side he may be bedding on or how he may leave his bed so I could cut him off as he leaves his bed and heads to a primary food source. Any other tips on hunting CRP would be great as well.

Uncle Lou

Re: Bedding locations within and hunting CRP

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:37 am

As stated in the Farm Bedding DVD, they are watching you. Good Luck, if I gave you any advice it would just mess you up. The way I hunt, I don't care if I blow it because there are plenty of fish in the sea, and I don't hunt a specific buck.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 am

I've noticed I usually find beds in the lowest areas (using thermals in the evenings and can move in a little seclusion) also this is usually where the crp grass and the ragweed, willow/cottonwood saplings and other various types of weeds and vegetation start growing that grow where the grass won't which in turn creates an "edge/transition" of sorts. I've also seen beds on slight rises in elevation, next to small trees/saplings/small cedars growing in it. This is also on bigger pieces of CRP than 2-4 acres in relatively flat farmland. Could you post any aerials of it?
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:47 am

They will use the terrain to their advantage - whether it be for scent or vision. Even if it looks flat, there will be microtopography or the adjacent topography/vegetation that will dictate wind and thermals.

I agree with bcarey2 in that when I bump CRP, I notice most deer are bedded in lower pockets.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:18 am

I'll second the microtopography point as well. Not all the low areas I mentioned are in bottoms where it drops way off. It can be a small (10-30ft in diameter) spot that's 1-2ft lower than the surrounding area that water might pool up in after heavy rains, therefore causing the ragweed/other various weeds/willow saplings etc. to grow in the areas where the CRP grass blends won't. It doesn't take much to hide a deer and if it provides them with enough advantages to make them feel secure they'll use it!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 am

The Silence wrote:Last year I came across a mature buck that was using a small (2-4 acre) secluded CRP field as his bedding area. I went up to that area once earlier this year to see what details I could see but couldn't find a specific bed. Do you guys have any experience with how bucks bed in these areas as well as how they enter and exit them. For instance, would they normally set up within the CRP, but near the edge, so they can see out in front of them with the wind blowing through the CRP to their backs? This particular CRP patch has a strip of green grass on 2 opposite ends that are 10-15 yards deep that have annual rubs. The other 2 opposite sides include a fence line and the other backs up to the woods. It's a sanctuary so I want to handle this place carefully. I don't think I can get an observation stand anywhere near this area so I'm just trying to get a better idea of what side he may be bedding on or how he may leave his bed so I could cut him off as he leaves his bed and heads to a primary food source. Any other tips on hunting CRP would be great as well.

I hunt a very similiar setup. Sounds like the buck is using this crp to bed during the rut. Hes prolly bedding in a way to smell the does upwind of him. In the evenings and mornings he prolly feeds with them in the green grass. If they aren't ready he will go back to his bed and they will go to theirs. This would also line up with the rubs in the area and lack of well defined beds. He uses this area for a small window of time then moves on. Is this area in a bowl or valley? Reason I ask is they like that set up because of swirling winds. Only way to kill him is to get eyes on him. If you go in too soon he will bust you and be out of there. See his path of travel and set up accordingly. High wind days are to your advantage for moving in close. Also gun opener on his entrance can be successful as well.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:54 am

I think there are many factors to consider. How hot it normally is, who high the weeds/CRP actually is, are there trees present, shade, water, ditches/low spots, elevated knolls, etc..... mature bucks will bed where they have the best security, wind/sight advantage and where they can browse and perhaps get a drink in close proximity. Not all CRP fields are created equal and if you have extended gun seasons, most mature bucks may avoid CRP unless it is pretty high or have other brush/cover mixed in (like plum thickets). Do under estimate a bucks desire to remain hidden from eyesight as well as the wind advantage. in open areas I often fight sight advantage will even trump wind advantage.... ideally they will have BOTH.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:04 am

If there are low spots in the crp field he could be using those. Could be bedding on the down wind side of the fencerow and also could bed close to the woodlot with the wind to his back
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 am

The Silence wrote:Last year I came across a mature buck that was using a small (2-4 acre) secluded CRP field as his bedding area. I went up to that area once earlier this year to see what details I could see but couldn't find a specific bed. Do you guys have any experience with how bucks bed in these areas as well as how they enter and exit them. For instance, would they normally set up within the CRP, but near the edge, so they can see out in front of them with the wind blowing through the CRP to their backs? This particular CRP patch has a strip of green grass on 2 opposite ends that are 10-15 yards deep that have annual rubs. The other 2 opposite sides include a fence line and the other backs up to the woods. It's a sanctuary so I want to handle this place carefully. I don't think I can get an observation stand anywhere near this area so I'm just trying to get a better idea of what side he may be bedding on or how he may leave his bed so I could cut him off as he leaves his bed and heads to a primary food source. Any other tips on hunting CRP would be great as well.

My advice would be to circle the entire downwind side slowly from a distance with the stand on your back ready to hunt, As close as you can without being spotted by any deer bedded tight to the edge and try to determine where he is exiting. Go back when the wind is from a different direction and do the same thing on the other side.
With a 2-4 acre patch I’d think you will have good odds of seeing that deer. If you have the bedding pinned down to an area that small I think you can kill that deer without knowing where the exact bed is.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Wlog, I basically did what you suggested. Very early this year, after hunting season was over, I came in from the "back door" on a trail I had determined was a very secluded exit trail. I slowly crept up toward what I thought might be the bedding area with the wind in my face. Like you said DaveT, as I got within maybe 60-70 yards, deer started seeing me and slowly and quietly started leaving the area including at least one half way decent buck. I don't think they could even tell I was a human but they felt something was down there they weren't comfortable with. They weren't freaked out just slightly alarmed. After they had all left I continued up to where they had been bedded and took a look around. I also realized they were bedded in that location based on how the wind swirls in that location. Just as it had, when I first saw that big boy last year. On a SE wind that comes over the trees, it dips down into this small patch of CRP in the middle of the surrounding woods and swirls to the left just like a whirlpool when it hits the various sides of the "box". Think of the CRP like a box: Wind first blows in from the SE corner, hits the north side of the box then blows toward the West then hits the west side of the box then blows toward the South. If you stand in the SW corner of the box you get hit in the face from a SE wind! Those deer set of their bedding in the NW corner so they can take advantage of that swirling and they can keep an eye on you if you are trying to approach the CRP from the bottom. Smart devils. With that intel in mind, I have a ground setup that I can get in undetected (by their prying eyes) along that secluded exit trail coming off that bedding corner that they use on a SE wind. Again, thanks everyone.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:14 am

Keep in mind too that they like chasing, breeding and locking down in crp. If you keep the wind in your face and move when the wind blows during lockdown you might catch him with a doe. I have had it work, I got real close and the doe jumped up and took off, the buck stood and watched her. I got down in the crp and crawled grunting and he ran right to me pissed off thinking I was another buck that chased off his doe.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:47 am

Great idea jmaas. Were you ever able to get a shot off at that buck? Normally, I creep my way in toward my setups in my ghillie suit and twice in the last 5 years have come within 5-20 yards of bedded down shooters who both got up, trotted out to 20-25 yards and stop and turned around to see what I was. I never got a shot off. Now I have a technique ready that I'll be using. I'll be waiting with a drawn bow ready to release an arrow. I've also thought about setting up an observation position to locate a locked down buck and doe and see if I could perform a spot and stalk like you described.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:02 am

The Silence wrote:Great idea jmaas. Were you ever able to get a shot off at that buck? Normally, I creep my way in toward my setups in my ghillie suit and twice in the last 5 years have come within 5-20 yards of bedded down shooters who both got up, trotted out to 20-25 yards and stop and turned around to see what I was. I never got a shot off. Now I have a technique ready that I'll be using. I'll be waiting with a drawn bow ready to release an arrow. I've also thought about setting up an observation position to locate a locked down buck and doe and see if I could perform a spot and stalk like you described.

I did but I screwed the shot up, got 1 lung and didnt recover the buck. Should have shot him straight head on, he came in and i didnt shoot until he turned so it was hard quartering to. I drew back while crouched in the crp and stood up at full draw when he was at like 10 yards or so, that worked well. Where I tracked him to turned out to be a dynamite spot tho, I killed 2 bucks from there since then. So I guess it worked out somewhat lol. Also, since that encounter I made a decoy with a buddy just like they use on whitetail adrenaline, we used it once and couldnt close the distance but I'm sure it will work eventually

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”