Does hunting on hiking trails negate the 1st time?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Does hunting on hiking trails negate the 1st time?

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:01 am

I hunted hiking trails before and had some success but never hung a permanent stand in these locations for fear of theft. This year I am going mobile and have some spots close to bedding where a hiking trail cuts through. Being deer are used to human scent on these trails does these spots have multiple sets in them that can be good as first time sets?

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Does hunting on hiking trails negate the 1st time?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:06 am

I have hunted in areas with hiking trails. I never hunted right on a hiking trail. I think as soon as you step off the hiking trail and lay down some scent it's no different than anywhere else. It's common for human activity and scent to be on hiking trails and the deer are used to it, but uncommon for any activity off the side of them, even if it's only ten feet off.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:55 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I have hunted in areas with hiking trails. I never hunted right on a hiking trail. I think as soon as you step off the hiking trail and lay down some scent it's no different than anywhere else. It's common for human activity and scent to be on hiking trails and the deer are used to it, but uncommon for any activity off the side of them, even if it's only ten feet off.

This is very true. But for planning and analyzing what and where to hunt, hiking trails can DEFINITELY give you an opportunity. Just as a guy will sit on the tailgate and slip off when the truck pauses along a specific spot in the road.
I have taken a mature 150" buck while using a hiking trail. Didn't know what was around but I planned my hunt and hunted my plan. One chance occurrence worth mentioning was the 6 high school boys who walked by.
I only wanted to step off the trail 30 yards but the leaves were crispy and loud. So I waited until these kids walked by, said hello, how are you, etc. Not a ruined hunt but COVER NOISE. As they passed I gained 10 yards while blending in with them.
So watch for opportunities and stay aggressive.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I hunted hiking trails before and had some success but never hung a permanent stand in these locations for fear of theft. This year I am going mobile and have some spots close to bedding where a hiking trail cuts through. Being deer are used to human scent on these trails does these spots have multiple sets in them that can be good as first time sets?

When I first read this the first thing that popped in my head was weekdays, early morning, and mid day sits. They will move when they feel safe and they have encountered the least run ins with danger.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 pm

viewtopic.php?t=49471

I posted a thread on this very subject a few months ago. Not much in responses from other Beast but it is one of my most successful tactics. If done with some strategy it can be very productive.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Here is a simple map of the area I killed a buck this year. I wounded him October 20th and killed him on the same pattern December 20th. I knew by his tracks crossing the human trail that he continued on the same pattern after I wounded him. By paying attention to other hunters and wind/ weather conditions I was able to kill him.

The squares on the map are the area's I hunted to try n pick him off. I ended up killing him sitting just off the human trail as that gave me the least invasive entrance and exit and also I could swing my thermals by moving around on the ridge.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:43 am

I have had some success hunting hiking trails that are close to bedding where bucks get comfortable crossing human scent. A couple of my hunts last year and the year before revolved around that tactic.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 am

dan wrote:I have had some success hunting hiking trails that are close to bedding where bucks get comfortable crossing human scent. A couple of my hunts last year and the year before revolved around that tactic.

Dan, do you think that it allows you more then one crack at a buck bed or do they still get wise after one set.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:
dan wrote:I have had some success hunting hiking trails that are close to bedding where bucks get comfortable crossing human scent. A couple of my hunts last year and the year before revolved around that tactic.

Dan, do you think that it allows you more then one crack at a buck bed or do they still get wise after one set.

It can buy you some time. I have been able to hunt a set more, and able to use the trail for scouting and setting cameras without spooking bucks too badly.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 am

I killed my best buck to date about 150 yards from a popular hiking/biking trail. On the afternoon that I killed the buck I actually saw 8 people, and only the 1 deer. I definitely think deer get inoculated to some human intrusion near hiking trails. More than likely they encounter humans, but are never actually threatened by them. This might allow us to receive a little bit more grace from them in our approach.

I still used a creek for access to minimize noise and scent to my stand site at the creek crossing. But I will tell you, that hiking trail was a great help for getting him out of that draw--that's for sure!
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:43 am

Like was said, as soon as you step off the trail, it's over.

Also, your scent pool isn't going to be normal...they are used to people walking right on by. As soon as you do anything different from that, it doesn't matter if the trail is there or not.

I also find them bedding to watch trails. Had that a couple years ago. I was going to take a doe if one came by....hunting a new spot on a whim. As I was walking a hiking trail I spotted a doe 20yds away bedded...wind was great. She wasn't looking my way and was watching a different trail on the other side of her. Perfect! I will be able to draw and make the shot and be out of here before dark.

The second I stopped walking POOF!!! She was gone. She didn't see me. She didnt smell me. But she was listening to my cadence. Me walking wasn't going to alarm her. Me stopping wasn't normal.

That actually happened a few more times that day.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 am

This is an interesting topic. I threw a sit at a location during bow season last year, stand location noted with the red dot, between two trails that are pretty heavily travelled. I approached via the trail to coming from the East, but I think I may have been better served continuing along the ridgetop to pick a stand location near the saddle I have circled. Any thoughts on hunting this area just from the topo? There are definitely deer in the area, as I hunt adjacent land not on the ridges with trails. I also could see crossings and trails on/near the hiking trail during my brief scout prior to sitting the area last year. I think this area could be hiding a big buck, as the area between the trails is not being hunted but the surrounding areas are hit pretty hard.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am

IndyDawg wrote:Image

This is an interesting topic. I threw a sit at a location during bow season last year, stand location noted with the red dot, between two trails that are pretty heavily travelled. I approached via the trail to coming from the East, but I think I may have been better served continuing along the ridgetop to pick a stand location near the saddle I have circled. Any thoughts on hunting this area just from the topo? There are definitely deer in the area, as I hunt adjacent land not on the ridges with trails. I also could see crossings and trails on/near the hiking trail during my brief scout prior to sitting the area last year. I think this area could be hiding a big buck, as the area between the trails is not being hunted but the surrounding areas are hit pretty hard.

For your hunt last year, what wind did you have and besides the trails, did you have more reasons for your stand location? Early season food source for example.

With the topo posted I would scout the point at bottom left of your drawn circle. Using Northern wind and hunt possibly at the saddle on the leeward side military crest.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 am

justdirtyfun wrote:
IndyDawg wrote:Image

For your hunt last year, what wind did you have and besides the trails, did you have more reasons for your stand location? Early season food source for example.

With the topo posted I would scout the point at bottom left of your drawn circle. Using Northern wind and hunt possibly at the saddle on the leeward side military crest.

I hunted this spot on October 6th, and walked the hiking trail about two weeks prior. I keyed in on some deer tracks crossing the trail, and acorns were dropping along the ridge. The wind was out of the South East, which is why I chose the point I did, but I was going in fairly blind.

That saddle and point you identified were the options I had keyed in to scout for sits on for northerly winds or even a just off western wind, but I haven't been out to it yet this year and never made it back to that spot last year. If I were to try and hunt that saddle, what would be the best approach? follow the western end of the ridge coming off the trail, or drop down from the valley and cross to come up? following the ridgetop would definitely be easier, but I'd like to minimize my impact to the area and get a good first sit in the spot.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 am

oldrank wrote:Image

Here is a simple map of the area I killed a buck this year. I wounded him October 20th and killed him on the same pattern December 20th. I knew by his tracks crossing the human trail that he continued on the same pattern after I wounded him. By paying attention to other hunters and wind/ weather conditions I was able to kill him.

The squares on the map are the area's I hunted to try n pick him off. I ended up killing him sitting just off the human trail as that gave me the least invasive entrance and exit and also I could swing my thermals by moving around on the ridge.

This is a great example OldRank. Thank you for posting. I love seeing these example maps. :clap:
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”