Q & A - Ridgerunner7

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Runt

Re: Q & A - Ridgerunner7

Unread postby The Runt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 am

Good read!

a great hunter that is also a great shot is someone I don't ever want chasing me. That combination I believe is less than 1% of hunters.

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 am

Always love reading what you post. Thanks.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:52 am

When you think of great hunters and beasts andys at the top! Thanks so much for sharing mighty fine bucks!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 am

PK_ wrote:It was a good read. It’s funny how I read through these and certain answers I feel like it’s exactly what I would write and then others it is exact opposite...

Same boat on that opinion. Some things I'm nodding along and some I'm like "you're a moron, but it's working for you, how can I modify your approach to suit my needs"
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:54 pm

Good read !!!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 am

Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to put it together. And thanks to LD for conducting these!

When you have a chance, I’d like to hear more about your approach to still hunting bedding areas.

1. Are there particular conditions or factors that lead you to still hunt them as opposed to the typical stand approach? I don’t necessarily mean conditions you “need” but maybe things you’ve noticed over the years that indicate it would be more productive to still hunt.
2. Do you pre-plan a route and adjust as you move through or just go for it?
3. Once you still hunt a bedding area do you more or less cross it off or still periodically check it for hot sign as the season progresses?
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am

So much great stuff in these things. Thanks for the post.

One thing that always sticks with me when I read/listen to guys like Andy, Dan, Bucky, JoeRE, Predator TC, PK, etc... is that their foundation almost invariably comes from years and years of near singular focus. So, at the risk of going down the dreaded magic bullet track.... if you didn't have that 25 year foundation of nearly full-time scouting and obsession, what would be the your focus in trying to progress towards the hunter you are now? In-season scouting, cyber scouting, spring scouting, observation sits, etc.? Always been a little curious about this, especially from guys who acknowledge what a big role all of that time, which is really irreplaceable, in the woods has played into their successes.

I'll echo some of the other comments. You're one of the small hand-full of guys that I try to never miss a post from. Thanks again.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to put it together. And thanks to LD for conducting these!

When you have a chance, I’d like to hear more about your approach to still hunting bedding areas.

1. Are there particular conditions or factors that lead you to still hunt them as opposed to the typical stand approach? I don’t necessarily mean conditions you “need” but maybe things you’ve noticed over the years that indicate it would be more productive to still hunt.
3. Once you still hunt a bedding area do you more or less cross it off or still periodically check it for hot sign as the season progresses?

1. Conditions I look for windy or wet. Doesn't have to be high winds necessarily but breezy enough to cover noise. I did three last year and had good buck encounters (probably 3 year old deer) on each. Two potential shot opportunities. I chose that approach because I didn't have any location in mine picked out yet or prepped but knew the buck was active in the area and wanted to hit it while he was there and before he changed patterns. Yes, I do this knowing it's mostly likely a one and done and the area will be compromised for a mature deer the rest of the season. Because of the size of the area and sensitivity I felt I was at more risk of spooking the buck if I tried to hang my sticks and get up in a tree. Instead I felt I could quietly enter on foot and be more effective. You just have to play out that scenario in your mind and see what makes sense. I look at the foliage, the elevation, decide what I think the bed can see from where he is, hear from where he is and smell from where he is. I work the fringes and slowly sneak towards where I know the buck SHOULD be. I glass, look, glass, look then take a step or two. I plan my route using trees and brush to hide me visually. Eyes up the entire time except for planning my next step. Typical ball of foot rolled to the heel step to keep quiet. I have to see the buck before he sees me so you can't move slow enough. I'll use my guillie some of the time if the cover isn't such where I'd be getting hung up all the time. Otherwise I wear a good break up camo and try to blend it. The last three years I have had really high percentages of encounters with good deer the few times I've hunted this way and a couple kills under my belt. I really like it and seem to be getting better at it. I also might do it in an area I didn't get to scout as much as I wanted to, or areas that are new and just scout/hunt my way in. I may end up in a tree but more times than not I find myself feeling like I get much closer on the ground and that getting up in a tree might do more harm than good. The obvious is, it's much easier to get busted on the ground...with scent and sight so I'm not saying this is the way to go necessarily. I enjoy switching things up and sometimes I just flat out feel more lethal if I stay on the ground and sneak towards the buck. I almost always spot the deer before he even knows I'm in there.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:12 am

Inspiration is an understatement. Can't express how much I look up to you as a bowhunter. Nice write up, Andy!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to put it together. And thanks to LD for conducting these!

1. Conditions I look for windy or wet. Doesn't have to be high winds necessarily but breezy enough to cover noise. I did three last year and had good buck encounters (probably 3 year old deer) on each. Two potential shot opportunities. I chose that approach because I didn't have any location in mine picked out yet or prepped but knew the buck was active in the area and wanted to hit it while he was there and before he changed patterns. Yes, I do this knowing it's mostly likely a one and done and the area will be compromised for a mature deer the rest of the season. Because of the size of the area and sensitivity I felt I was at more risk of spooking the buck if I tried to hang my sticks and get up in a tree. Instead I felt I could quietly enter on foot and be more effective. You just have to play out that scenario in your mind and see what makes sense. I look at the foliage, the elevation, decide what I think the bed can see from where he is, hear from where he is and smell from where he is. I work the fringes and slowly sneak towards where I know the buck SHOULD be. I glass, look, glass, look then take a step or two. I plan my route using trees and brush to hide me visually. Eyes up the entire time except for planning my next step. Typical ball of foot rolled to the heel step to keep quiet. I have to see the buck before he sees me so you can't move slow enough. I'll use my guillie some of the time if the cover isn't such where I'd be getting hung up all the time. Otherwise I wear a good break up camo and try to blend it. The last three years I have had really high percentages of encounters with good deer the few times I've hunted this way and a couple kills under my belt. I really like it and seem to be getting better at it. I also might do it in an area I didn't get to scout as much as I wanted to, or areas that are new and just scout/hunt my way in. I may end up in a tree but more times than not I find myself feeling like I get much closer on the ground and that getting up in a tree might do more harm than good. The obvious is, it's much easier to get busted on the ground...with scent and sight so I'm not saying this is the way to go necessarily. I enjoy switching things up and sometimes I just flat out feel more lethal if I stay on the ground and sneak towards the buck. I almost always spot the deer before he even knows I'm in there.

Good stuff, thanks for the follow up. I switch it up during gun season and do some still hunting of high percentage ridges and saddles in the big woods up north. Same principles only I could see it being much more effective in a thicker bedding area. Many times you’re looking much farther out and don’t have a general idea of where the buck will be on the ridges. Typically the “cover” or lack there of is the downside and you can be spotted much further away.

I’m gonna give this a shot this coming season. I like the idea of using it where thicker areas of bedding cover have been identified but you haven’t necessarily had the time to throughly scout it. Thanks again.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 am

Kraftd wrote:So much great stuff in these things. Thanks for the post.

One thing that always sticks with me when I read/listen to guys like Andy, Dan, Bucky, JoeRE, Predator TC, PK, etc... is that their foundation almost invariably comes from years and years of near singular focus. So, at the risk of going down the dreaded magic bullet track.... if you didn't have that 25 year foundation of nearly full-time scouting and obsession, what would be the your focus in trying to progress towards the hunter you are now? In-season scouting, cyber scouting, spring scouting, observation sits, etc.? Always been a little curious about this, especially from guys who acknowledge what a big role all of that time, which is really irreplaceable, in the woods has played into their successes.

I'll echo some of the other comments. You're one of the small hand-full of guys that I try to never miss a post from. Thanks again.

This is a great question and a spot I think many guys find themselves in. This day and age there is such good content available on the internet it's really amazing. Things that took guys decades to figure out can be learned (at least partly) sitting behind a computer. Find a few killers that put out content that have different styles and then there is much more quality info compounded. Some of the info out there, specifically on the beast is really high level stuff. What you can't pick up from behind the computer is the mentality and work ethic it takes implement some of this. Many guys soak all this info in, get all motivated initially but don't really put any extra work into applying it in the deer woods and learning the finer details that can only be learned and understood by first hand experience. Another thing is sacrifice and dedication. To reach higher levels of success you're going to have to sacrifice some and become dedicated. This might look different from one guy to the next as far as what success is and what sacrifice is. Not everyone needs to be killing big bucks every year to enjoy hunting. For others, that's one of the main goals. I feel like you have to decide what your goal is and then put in the appropriate amount of time in to reach that goal. If you're lackadaisical about your goals, then your time commitment, dedication, and work ethic will follow suit.

I do thinks most hunters have a desire and drive to improve and learn. I think some guys are wired to constantly push and try to improve and some improve to a certain point and then coast and enjoys consistent success. Neither is wrong in my opinion.

So that was long winded but to answer your question...I think all of that stuff is very very important to be a well rounded hunter and to improve success but I also realize that it takes a large amount of time and sacrifice which some can't or just won't give.

If I had to prioritize out of what your mentioned I would probably focus on my spring scouting before green up number 1. From beds to rut sign, there is just too much information to be had. If I was limited on time, or couldn't dedicate year round time I would definitely focus on this time frame and try to pound scouting as much as possible in that short window.

Next I'm looking at in season scouting/observation. This is real life master class being taught.. you just have to pay attention. Let the deer and the sign tell you what is happening around you. Make moves, aggressive moves..fail...learn...adjust...then make a move again. Mistakes are awesome and integral in the learning process. Eliminate mistakes when you make them (and you will make a crap ton), and adjust tactics when your mind is telling you to. You will develop instinct and learn to trust it over time.

I think the other times you mentioned are really important to, but I'm trying to keep in mind the guy with very limited time but has that burning drive to learn and succeed.

I think a good rule of thumb is to just try to improve every year. Commit the amount of time and work that you think is appropriate given your situation realizing there are many more things important than filling your wall. You don't need to put in tons and tons of time or sacrifice your first born to kill nice bucks with some consistency.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:01 am

:clap:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 am

:clap:

Thanks for the write up Ridge. Love reading insight from you legends.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Great detailed info. I really like your latest appearance on Wired To Hunt as well. I will probably listen to that one twice. Thanks for sharing so much info.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Of all the hunters on the beast, Andy is one of those that when I hear him say something I listen. There is no doubt in my mind he would kill a good buck no matter where he hunts. Andy, looking forward to hearing about your 2019 season, best of luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”