When is the best time to kill a mature buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Whan is the best time to kill a mature buck?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:25 pm

unfortunately, most states do not have Sept seasons
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 pm

Dan,

I think in some of your videos though you mention that when you are talking early season you are talking September and then come around the 1st of October those bucks are different. Those of us that hunt states that don't open till October don't really get the same prime opportunity. Am I recalling that correctly?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Those bucks should still be unpressured tho. Yeah the summer patterns aren’t there anymore but the unpressured food sources that time of year are still there. A lot of this info should still apply.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:56 pm

cspot wrote:Dan,

I think in some of your videos though you mention that when you are talking early season you are talking September and then come around the 1st of October those bucks are different. Those of us that hunt states that don't open till October don't really get the same prime opportunity. Am I recalling that correctly?

Yes... There are a lot of states that are open in early September, but there are also a lot that open in Oct... 2 different worlds.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:unfortunately, most states do not have Sept seasons

Alot do... Just off the top of my head there is: Wisc, Minnesota, Kentucky, Oregon, Montana,Indiana, South Carolina, etc... Im sure Im missing a lot
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri May 31, 2019 1:38 pm

Nys doesn’t open until October 1st. Over the past four years my trail cams have shown me a lot from September to October.... as many have said before, 2 different worlds. Although, I think if you put in the work and what not.. you should be able to make it happen.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm

dan wrote:

Alot do... Just off the top of my head there is: Wisc, Minnesota, Kentucky, Oregon, Montana,Indiana, South Carolina, etc... Im sure Im missing a lot

Agreed that's why I'm heading to KY first week of Sept.

However, not everyone can take out of state trips and even if they do, we both know the key to early season success is a lot of preseason glassing and shining ( where legal) to try to nail down where a good buck is and to establish a huntable pattern. This requires an additional amount of time for an out of state hunt. Not saying it's not true, just not easy for those that live in states with no bow opener until Oct and limited ag fields/crops to drive/glass. When I lived in MT it was pretty easy to get on Sept bucks in Sept alfalfa. Nothing replaces being a resident for the dedicated hunter..... except maybe friends in the local area with private land or deep pockets.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 31, 2019 4:24 pm

Was that part of an interview that was on a long time ago? Looks familiar for some reason.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Was that part of an interview that was on a long time ago? Looks familiar for some reason.

Yes. They break the interviews up and post as different sections, this was posted a while ago on there site, but I never saw it till now.

Here is the rest of that interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07EIG83H9A8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40IRsedhiS8
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
dan wrote:

Agreed that's why I'm heading to KY first week of Sept.

However, not everyone can take out of state trips and even if they do, we both know the key to early season success is a lot of preseason glassing and shining ( where legal) to try to nail down where a good buck is and to establish a huntable pattern. This requires an additional amount of time for an out of state hunt. Not saying it's not true, just not easy for those that live in states with no bow opener until Oct and limited ag fields/crops to drive/glass. When I lived in MT it was pretty easy to get on Sept bucks in Sept alfalfa. Nothing replaces being a resident for the dedicated hunter..... except maybe friends in the local area with private land or deep pockets.

The key to killing big bucks is scouting, recognizing patterns, trends, putting work into it. Period. Guys not willing to scout, travel, or put in more time will always have a harder struggle.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri May 31, 2019 11:10 pm

I don't see where it matters whether it is Sept. or early Oct. In south it is hot. First days of season is a fresh start. You are either on him and know his pattern or you don't . After first couple weeks or so they start wising up to activity in woods. Then when cold fronts start through change begins.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:36 am

Michigan the best time is oct1- nov14. It can happen anytime during this period. After the 15th things change because of gun season
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 am

Hard to beat late season if you get the right weather. Bucks are trying to replenish body weight after the rut cold temps gets them moving! Usually back on a bed to feed pattern.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 am

Hawthorne wrote:Michigan the best time is oct1- nov14. It can happen anytime during this period. After the 15th things change because of gun season

X2!. Same thing every year. As soon as gun comes , the woods are a different place. I occasionally see bucks here and there. But it gets somewhat good again at the end of November that last week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”