Small marshes in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

Small marshes in hill country

Unread postby Bowfisher » Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 am

I’ve run into a large area that has a lot of marshes among hill county. These marshes are anywhere from an acre to maybe 10 acres. They nearly all have cattails, some standing water some not, some have willows in them some have dogwood. One thing they all have in common is they are all surrounded by hills. Some of these bills are very thick with good cover. I just did some drive by scouting today, and looked over a lot of marshes along roads. What’s everyone’s experiences with bucks bedding in these small marshes over taking to the hills and bedding like classic hill country?

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Small marshes in hill country

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Just scouted a spot like this today and found some classic bedding on the upper third. Pretty nice spot, where there are so many ways to escape, including through the swamp.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm

These are often tricky wind wise. I look for the little island in them, I like the trails just below them (I think many are old beaver pond built in mountain streams). I look just below the old dam for a pinch. Also if there is an independent hump around them I check those.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed May 29, 2019 1:47 am

Bowfisher wrote:I’ve run into a large area that has a lot of marshes among hill county. These marshes are anywhere from an acre to maybe 10 acres. They nearly all have cattails, some standing water some not, some have willows in them some have dogwood. One thing they all have in common is they are all surrounded by hills. Some of these bills are very thick with good cover. I just did some drive by scouting today, and looked over a lot of marshes along roads. What’s everyone’s experiences with bucks bedding in these small marshes over taking to the hills and bedding like classic hill country?

I've been scouting a similar area in NY this year. Near the smallest marshes I've found classic hill country bedding up high. Not much sign in or around those marshes just travel trails which go around them toward some other destination. And trails coming off the hill following terrain features and not going near the marsh at all. The largest marsh is around 8ac. I've only walked the perimeter so far, unfortunately it's loaded with permanent stands. It's also closer to a road so that makes sense. I'm guessing the stands are used in rifle season. There are some well worn trails at one end away from most of the stands so I'll enter there next and roam the interior.

I'm also curious to hear what other's find in these areas.
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm

I’ve scouted spotty areas like this in the past with no success, human intrusion in and around the marsh. But it seems to me like it could produce an awesome overlooked spot right next to the road. I know scouting will need to be done to determine that, but I didn’t know if deer prefer the small little marshes vs the big thick hills or vice versa or if it’s a crap shoot. Probably, a crap shoot lol
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri May 31, 2019 2:21 pm

I guess to rewrite what I wrote, each one seems different and I've had to walk them to figure that out. No generalizations so far.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:42 am

I find these spots to be excellent during the rut. The mature bucks will use this swamp as a satellite bed to get closer to the does and monitor them. Like the others said though they are tough to hunt in there due to thermals and swirling winds helping them, but working against you. It's really trial and error and figuring out what will work. There may or may not be sign in there but if there is some within 100-200 yards of this spot and it is some of the better bedding than this would be my guess. Bucks love the tall grass and cattails down low during the rut in hill country. Also a cruising buck would cruise the downwind edge seeking a hot doe. So if one side is more littered with sign and it seems to be the predominant wind then you may have found something.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”