Wet Spring

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FRH
500 Club

Wet Spring

Unread postby FRH » Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 am

Just something to keep in mind with the wet spring most of the midwest is having. There is a lot of corn ground that won't be planted this year, and probably some of the lower ground won't have any crops in it. So if you have a spot that would normally be on a crop rotation, keep in mind that it might be soybeans after soybeans or might not be planted at all. So if your planning on hunting a certain crop this year, keep in mind that you might need alternative food sources in mind this coming season.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Wet Spring

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 am

I was thinking that too. So many puddled areas that the equipment just can’t reach.

I have a similar question around bedding. There is often great cover on hard transitions that support bedding. Now most of it is under water and at this rate of rain, it doesn’t look like it’s going to recover. That hard edge now becomes soft or non-existent because of the water. (water up into the timber)

Just move on the next hard edge that’s not underwater with decent cover? It’s tough in areas that hold good deer but are super flat. I suppose it’s still down to “find the humps with cover,” but what have some of you done when facing similar high-water years in the past?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 am

very true, while turkey hunting some farmers here in SE Wis said they will not be planting...... I suspect where they get it in, will be a later cut in the fall
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:26 am

Definitely something to keep in mind. There's a decent bit of corn that's in around here, but certainly not in the lower lying areas. All the water is probably going to result in a lot more cotton for us in the south, which is definitely not the best thing for deer.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 am

With the Farm Emergency Relief Bill signed last week and communicated to the general public, there's likely going to be less planting in affected areas. Those farmers will be applying for federal relief instead of planting. Alternative food sources will be key for sure.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 am

A lot of fields around here haven't even been plowed yet. Looks like there will be a lot of open fields. I know it's bad for the farmers but less corn gives deer much less cover to hide in during the hunting season so they should be much more visible. The bonus with all this rain is antler growth should be excellent this year. Everything is lush and green with plenty of browse to eat.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am

The flip side can be said for us in the Southeast. We’re experiencing upper 90’s, low 100’s with no rain for the past month and none projected for the future. Whatever isn’t irrigated is dead.

Truly difficult times and extreme conditions across the country. I hope y’all get some more favorable conditions in the near future, I’ve got a bad feeling this year could be one for the books.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 am

Here in south east Michigan I have not seen one field plowed or planted yet. I am suppose to have corn all around this year but at this rate it will be empty
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:I was thinking that too. So many puddled areas that the equipment just can’t reach.

I have a similar question around bedding. There is often great cover on hard transitions that support bedding. Now most of it is under water and at this rate of rain, it doesn’t look like it’s going to recover. That hard edge now becomes soft or non-existent because of the water. (water up into the timber)

Just move on the next hard edge that’s not underwater with decent cover? It’s tough in areas that hold good deer but are super flat. I suppose it’s still down to “find the humps with cover,” but what have some of you done when facing similar high-water years in the past?

So right now we are having the opposite situation. We are having quite a dry spring so while I am scouting bedding areas there are high spots that arent showing fresh bedding sign. However, the ground all around it is very moist and somewhat muddy. There is also vegetation that indicates that the area floods. The good thing is now I know where the high spots are so come fall when we start getting more rain I know they will be pushed to these areas due to pressure. So what I see when I go back in these future flooded areas is pretty open trees of various varieties and then I will see small "islands" of green trees and bushes. These are clearly a little higher than the surrounding areas. I also used google earth maps from previous falls and winters to see which areas still look think and they correlate to the high ground. It doesnt take much to give them something to lay on. By high ground, it is only a few feet higher.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”