Huntstand App vs others

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jwangle13

Huntstand App vs others

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 am

So for my hunting ventures I use Huntstand. I have not used OnX but I hear it is similar. However, huntstand is free and OnX has a monthly fee. I have compared the maps with my buddies OnX and the maps seem similar enough that I dont feel I would gain anything. Also, huntstand does have parcel information if you are worried about private land contact info. My main question is, Does HUNTSTAND have offline mapping features. I know OnX does and I keep finding blurbs about huntstand have an offline map feature but I cannot find that feature anywhere. This is one thing that is making me tempted to get on OnX. Some of my areas have very poor cellular access so I cant constantly use maps. If I could cache the map tiles ahead of time that would be golden.

Thanks in advance.

thwack16
500 Club

Re: Huntstand App vs others

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 am

Yes, Huntstand definitely has offline. You simply create a hunting area for the remote spots and that allows you to use that with no service.
bowonly68

Unread postby bowonly68 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 am

I'm a Huntstand user and have also purchased the unlimited parcel info option to mark public properties and to find contact info for surrounding private landowners for access permission to public areas that have no access except through private. The offline feature is accessible for free.
"Iron sharpens iron as one man sharpens another"(Proverbs 27:17)
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:12 am

Ok so by creating a hunt area do you mean saving a boundry. For example if I have a parcel I am hunting I can click on it and save it. It would now be outlined in red. Would this now become an area I could use for offline?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:21 am

If you're doing it on desktop:

Managae Hunt Areas>New Hunt Area> Then click the dot on where the property is.

Looks to be technically the same on mobile, though I always go through a desktop and then sync to phone.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:41 am

I started using on x simply because it automatically saves your pins. Hunt stand will lose all of your pins if it crashes and you forget to sync it...don’t ask me how I know that. It’s a sore subject.

Bottom line is make SURE you sync your app after your scouting sessions with hunt stand.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:42 am

Oh I just realized I hijacked your post a bit. I have no idea how to use HuntStand offline.
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:42 am

Ahawk116 wrote:I started using on x simply because it automatically saves your pins. Hunt stand will lose all of your pins if it crashes and you forget to sync it...don’t ask me how I know that. It’s a sore subject.

Bottom line is make SURE you sync your app after your scouting sessions with hunt stand.

Wow that is good advice. Luckily I have never had it crash but still good info.
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:43 am

thwack16 wrote:If you're doing it on desktop:

Looks to be technically the same on mobile, though I always go through a desktop and then sync to phone.

Thwack16, thanks I will give it a try and check back in if I still am not sure.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:54 am

jwangle13 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:If you're doing it on desktop:

Thwack16, thanks I will give it a try and check back in if I still am not sure.

Ask whatever you need to. I've spent too much time on Huntstand. :lol:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 am

Ahawk116 wrote:I started using on x simply because it automatically saves your pins. Hunt stand will lose all of your pins if it crashes and you forget to sync it...don’t ask me how I know that. It’s a sore subject.

Another is that if you share a property with another person, only one needs to be dropping pins at a time. From my experience, if you're both dropping pins, whoever syncs first will overwrite the others pins.
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 am

thwack16 wrote:

Another is that if you share a property with another person, only one needs to be dropping pins at a time. From my experience, if you're both dropping pins, whoever syncs first will overwrite the others pins.

Also good info however, I dont share my hunting locations lol. Maybe when my boys get older but for now I'll try and keep them my little secret.
DougM
Facebook: moseley152@gmail.com

Unread postby DougM » Tue May 28, 2019 1:07 am

I like on x for a few reasons the offline feature works extremely well. I've used huntstand and I can't figure out a offline map. Also on x has a tracker that records your hike. I also like how it has a topo overlay.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue May 28, 2019 2:14 am

DougM wrote:I like on x for a few reasons the offline feature works extremely well. I've used huntstand and I can't figure out a offline map. Also on x has a tracker that records your hike. I also like how it has a topo overlay.

This is my experience as well. I had OnX first so maybe that is part of it. Also our public is checkboarded with private, so I like the ONX overlay as it is very easy to see the difference in land ownership.
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:52 am

DougM wrote:I like on x for a few reasons the offline feature works extremely well. I've used huntstand and I can't figure out a offline map. Also on x has a tracker that records your hike. I also like how it has a topo overlay.

I noticed that huntstand is starting to get all of the same maps as on X. I compared with a buddy who has on X and there are several new maps that I had not seen last year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”