How Fast Can You Hang Your Stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

How Fast Can You Hang Your Stand?

Unread postby Trout » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

I know its trout season, but I've got whitetails on the brain and have been skipping time on the water to shoot my bow, scout and practice hanging my stand. Thought it would be fun to have a little contest- who can hang their hang-on stand the fastest? The rules are simple, go to a tree, hang your stand as fast as you safely are able, time yourself from the second you start to the second you are sitting in your stand and ready to hunt. Post your time here and if you use 3 sticks, 4 sticks, a climber or a saddle. It's all in good fun, and for bragging rights, so the honor system goes, but I think not would be fun to see some videos for the guys who have a way to record themselves. I'm sure we can all learn something from each other that will help us come bow season. So who is the fastest?

Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: How Fast Can You Hang Your Stand?

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 pm

I can hang mine 4 sticks up- dead quiet ;) . Typically about 10 minutes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Doing it fast sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Hate to see somebody get hurt trying to prove they are faster than the next guy.

3 sticks with a moveable aider while wearing my saddle I could easily be ready to hunt in a little over 5 minutes but that’s not realistic in a hunting situation. Normally takes me at least 20 minutes with every movement slow and deliberate.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm

I go slow partially to avoid overheating too, as I sweat like a a hog even when I'm in peak condition.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Dewey wrote:Doing it fast sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Hate to see somebody get hurt trying to prove they are faster than the next guy.

Yes sir, couldn't agree more! Like I said all in good fun, just curious how long other guys take to get set up, and what their system is to be so efficient.

I average somewhere between 15-20 minutes, like greenhorndave, I try to avoid sweating. I wear glasses so it sucks to spend the first 5 minutes or so unfogging them if I got overheated. I dont know if I shaved a lot of time off setting up from the beginning of last season to the end, but my body got a lot better at handling it. Me and my beer belly go way back. :lol: This year I'd like to be to that point before the season starts. I'd also like to get down to the 10 minute range, without making a sound or moving around like I'm in a race. I think that all comes down to having an efficient system, would love to see what other guys system is and maybe pick up a pointer or two to incorporate into my own.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm 15 to 20 myself as well.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

I use 3 sticks with aiders and climb in one trip. I am on the saddle train but still mix in stands, either way about the same. I still have a climber too, and that is the fastest way up for sure, but really in the scheme of things it is an immaterial difference.

With all systems, the prep at the base of the tree definitely takes longer than the actual climb/hang. Being a guy that sweats easily I always walk in wearing a t-shirt or something similarly light, and everything else is in my backpack. I partially dress at the base of the tree and in colder weather, the heavy layers go up with me and I dress at the top.

I aim to ascend in one trip to be as stealthy as possible, so that system takes a couple extra minutes to setup as well.

From the time I reach my tree it is in the 10-30 minute range. It really is that broad depending on how complex the prep is based on weather, and how stealthy I feel I need to be. Actual climb time is probably 5-15 minutes, again depends on complexity. Heck I would imagine if I were really trying I could go from ground to setup in a couple minutes, not counting prep, but that's not real world conditions at all. Straight easy trees I can really get up fast; limbs and lean really slow me down.

Regardless I aim for smooth and steady that comes through practice. A couple times now I've moved mid-hunt responding to deer I was seeing out of range (a rut tactic). That really tests your mettle at being stealthy without rushing too much.
Last edited by elk yinzer on Tue May 21, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm somewhere around 15-20 minutes. Depends on the set up.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Trout wrote:
Dewey wrote:Doing it fast sounds like a good way to hurt yourself. Hate to see somebody get hurt trying to prove they are faster than the next guy.

Yes sir, couldn't agree more! Like I said all in good fun, just curious how long other guys take to get set up, and what their system is to be so efficient.

I average somewhere between 15-20 minutes, like greenhorndave, I try to avoid sweating. I wear glasses so it sucks to spend the first 5 minutes or so unfogging them if I got overheated. I dont know if I shaved a lot of time off setting up from the beginning of last season to the end, but my body got a lot better at handling it. Me and my beer belly go way back. :lol: This year I'd like to be to that point before the season starts. I'd also like to get down to the 10 minute range, without making a sound or moving around like I'm in a race. I think that all comes down to having an efficient system, would love to see what other guys system is and maybe pick up a pointer or two to incorporate into my own.

I recall looking around for videos a while back. Dan had a decent old one, as did Garrett (DIY Sportsman) and a couple other guys. All variations on a theme, but worth digging on YouTube to see what aspects of some of the videos resonate with you.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Jperrotti

Unread postby Jperrotti » Tue May 21, 2019 3:28 pm

4 sticks with an aider on bottom takes 10-12 minutes on a fairly straight tree. Gnarly tree it takes up to 20.
That’s one trip up the tree packing everything and tied to a pull-up rope
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 pm

I’m usually between 5-7 mins. But that is one of the factors that hurt me more than it helped me.

This year, my goal is to actually slow way down. I plan on arriving earlier than normal so I can afford myself plenty of time to avoid rushing and making stupid, LOUD mistakes.

So, I’d like to be around 20 mins or so. Slowing down is actually what I’m after.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:

I recall looking around for videos a while back. Dan had a decent old one, as did Garrett (DIY Sportsman) and a couple other guys. All variations on a theme, but worth digging on YouTube to see what aspects of some of the videos resonate with you.

I’ve always wanted to see Dan’s method of climbing stealth! Is that video still online?
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 21, 2019 11:45 pm

funderburk wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:

I’ve always wanted to see Dan’s method of climbing stealth! Is that video still online?

Yeah, go to his videos in his YouTube channel and it’s a relatively early one.
----------
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:44 am

3 sticks with a moveable aider while wearing my saddle I could easily be ready to hunt in a little over 5 minutes but that’s not realistic in a hunting situation. Normally takes me at least 20 minutes with every movement slow and deliberate.

Wisdom
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed May 22, 2019 3:41 am

Repeated practice with your preferred hunting methods will get you as fast and smooth as you need to be in the deer woods. Depending on tree type, hunting height, and how close I am to bedding, it will take me between 10 to 20 minutes to be hunt ready. Slow, smooth deliberate movements work best for me. "Slow and steady wins the race". :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”