Wind Based Bedding is a LIE??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckandRoll

Wind Based Bedding is a LIE??

Unread postby BuckandRoll » Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 am

Hey guys,

You should take a look at this new video on buck bedding and scouting from "Whitetail Habitat Solutions." It seems to me that this guy has it almost right in a couple of area (with the wrong reasons why things are happening) and SO wrong in other areas. I think Dan has a few corrections in his Hill Country DVD that explain or directly contradict what this guy has to say.

I would love to hear some of you respond and analyze this logic on big buck bedding locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMTSiaMS8uI

BuckandRoll

Re: Wind Based Bedding is a LIE??

Unread postby BuckandRoll » Tue May 21, 2019 7:26 am

From the video description:
"Where do mature bucks bed? Bucks bed in very remote locations away from food, doe bedding areas and young buck bedding areas. Bucks do not choose their bed based on the wind direction, unless they are exposed to extremely low temperatures that carry the potential for frost bite. Bucks bed in a layered system behind food and other deer, in particular the older they become. It doesn't matter what direction the wind blows, bucks have a whole lot more on their mind when it comes to choosing their favorite bedding areas. Here are some important tips for scouting and finding buck beds this deer season..."
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 am

From what I have seen it's not a lie.
From what my cameras tell me it's not a lie.

Their is places in Marshes where they will use specific beds on multiple winds but in hill country the bedding is very specific based on wind direction.

Not trying to argue just saying I know what I have personally seen bucks doing.

Bucks usually only bed far away from food in pressured areas. If a buck feels safe where food is he will bed where he feels safe provided it has the proper wind and terrain features.

Mature bucks take the best beds and the other small bucks surround it if the mature bucks allow. Which is why it appears young bucks are protecting the mature. Not really the case they just dont have enough rank to be in the bed they want to lay in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
BuckandRoll

Unread postby BuckandRoll » Tue May 21, 2019 9:10 am

To clarify, I am not arguing against wind-based bedding. That is how I hunt! But I would like to here some critiques of this "ignore the wind when you think about beds" logic this video puts forth
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

The guy don't know what he is talking about... Many have done camera studies testing the theory of wind based bedding. Its fact... I have been studying buck bedding almost 40 years. Its not all based on wind, but a lot of it is. There are properties where I could predict what camera the target buck would show up on based solely on wind direction. I did not watch the video, but I would bet he is on cushy private land and is looking at primary bedding.
BuckandRoll

Unread postby BuckandRoll » Tue May 21, 2019 9:18 am

That's what I am thinking Dan. I love the explanation of how they bed on leeward hills just so they don't get frostbite on their ears :lol: Something that is directly addressed in the hill country DVD as being false. The south facing slope habit, according to you, is due to predominant northern winds usually. This makes way more sense to me that the frostbite explanation.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am

PK_ wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 am

I scouted a property for a guy last year who had Jeff set his land up for him a couple years prior to him reaching out to me... He had thickened the whole west slope (leeward on an east wind) and the guy was having issues with consistant bedding and went out of his way to say that Jeff told him that I am wrong about wind based buck bedding when he questioned the windward bedding approach... He went on to say that he does get bucks bedding on the west slope but its not as much as was perceived... He runs lots of cameras and said he had all the photo's... We looked, 90% came off that ridges bedding on... Wait for it---an East wind... If you look for the facts, they are easy to find.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am

He wasn’t entirely right nor was he entirely wrong. His message had enough truth so the viewer could buy in that they still need to use the products of the companies that sponsor him.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Hard to argue with thousands of real life in the field observations by Beast members over the years who are much more qualified due to focus on hunting those actual beds.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I am not sure what that was all about. But I think anyone who has gotten consistent at finding buck bedding pretty easily would agree that that video was not a great explanation of how bucks bed or how to find buck bedding. I would even go as far as saying that it sounded like he was trying to intentionally confuse people.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 21, 2019 12:24 pm

dan knows bedding,
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 pm

From what ive seen i couldnt disagree more with sturgis on that video and several others when hes talking about buck habits.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I wouldn't say the guy is lying or stretching the truth. You can learn a lot about the type of property a guy hunts by the conclusions they reach. Fact is lightly hunted deer are a diff kind of cat. The deer u see on tv feeding in the fields at 3 in the afternoon are still real deer. They just haven't had to learn how to survive when the heat is on. They lack the education that can only be taught from hot lead. I say this because I have a high fence property right across the street, I see older bucks bed in places u wouldn't find a yearling in the places most of us hunt. Send a few guys in there unloading and would be willing to bet they would wise up pretty quick. Not exactly apples to apples. Nothing against what the guy hunts or witnesses. If I had the funds I would be all over that type of hunting. Suggest anyone who is concerned open there eyes and reach there own conclusions.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”