Stressed herd

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shady Grove
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/noahstokesart

Stressed herd

Unread postby Shady Grove » Fri May 10, 2019 6:29 am

I have heard several whitetail gurus say that they can "walk your property and tell if your herd is stressed or not". Have you heard that?

My question is - what are those signs of stress? How does a stressed herd act compared to a relaxed one? How can that knowledge be used to hunt mature bucks?

Thanks

RiverBottoms
500 Club

Re: Stressed herd

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri May 10, 2019 9:03 am

I don’t specifically have any expert insight on this but..... Here in the upper midwest I am seeing the does feeding aggressively at all times of the day wherever there is something green to munch on. That to me indicates they were stressed/depleted over the long winter. Hope they can hang on to those fawns for a few more weeks. Others have any insight?
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:25 am

A deer lives at 6 ft and below for the most part beside falling leaves and acorns. So sometimes you can see a distinct browse line so could be overpopulation and not much food. Also have heard if bucks are dropping horns early they are stressed or injured. Trail cam pics can reveal alot too bodyweight ect.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:50 am

I guess where they are bedding qould reveal stress as well. If they are bedding comfortably in the open vs using terrain to watch access or in the nastiest hole prolly under pressure. How does it relate to hunting bucks? Watch the outdoor channel where guys sit on field edges and see 3 shooter bucks 2 hrs before daylight lol not stressed a bit id say. They move more freely earlier when not stressed. Hunting pressured bucks you really have to pay attention to every move u make. Have to be close to where they are bedding to see them in daylight.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:50 pm

In my area which is farm country I can get a pretty quick idea of what kind of pressure is being applied. If you don't see young deer in the fields until after dark the heat is on. If doe's are trying to break there own neck at the slightest noise they are feeling the pressure. Also how bucks cruise around with the wind gives me a good idea. On very lightly pressured ground I see more bucks cruising quartering with a tailwind. I believe it's due to them feeling there biggest threat will come from behind. In heavy pressured areas I see the cruising with the nose wind because I believe they realize there biggest threat is now the hiding Hunter. This indicates to me they know they are being hunted and I better change strategies
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”