Deer farm freaks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Deer farm freaks

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 am

rfickes87 wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:
Pse wrote:There must be a significant number of people willing to pay to shoot deer like that to keep all the high fence operations in business

There really doesnt have to be a significant number of people. Say one of these things started out at 10,000$ to kill(not hunt), theyd only need to have 10 of these to make 100,000$ off of just the killing of the animal. Add in the other "fees" and costs of those traveling to the "game ranch" and staying there 2,000 for the trophy buck hunts i mean, it doesnt take many customers to make this a lucrative venture...... you can see why this gets the kind of attention it does on these "outdoors" channels.
Personally, i feel that these kind of ranches my not have caused the spread of deer disease, they certianly aided it.... the first documented cases of cwd in my state were from deer farms and hunting ranches......

how would you know what size buck your shooting? i.e. a 140 instead of a 150...

is there someone in your stand giving you the green light to shoot? if so that's even more pathetic.

I thought the same thing. So lets go pick a beef cow and shoot that, how is it any different.... lol

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm

It isn’t just the hunting they also make big money on selling the sperm to other deer farms.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Sad those aren't real deer they are just cattle on steroids grown for slaughter with no way to escape the pen they were born in.
I could never kill a deer like that my conscience would eat away at me that's not hunting.

The thrill is in the chase.
I'll take a public land decent buck anyday.

Awful human beings that make profit like that. Gods creations should not be abused for mans own greed for a few pieces of paper. They will be judged oneday.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

Dewey wrote:They could offer me a free hunt to kill one of those fenced in freaks and I would decline. I have no desire to kill one like that.

I’m with you, Dewey.

I’m not a fan of Keith Warren at all. About a decade ago he was going on and on about hunting in an enclosure. “Think of it as an OUT-closure. It’s the best way to keep the inferior genetics OUT. We will probably see the day where all hunting is done inside high fence operations.”

Haven’t watched him since as he is doing nothing for the betterment of the sport. Only video I’ve seen from him since was a vid going around on Fb of him shooting a doe with a .50 cal BMG. Went for the head shot, barely missed, and the shockwave/vacuum behind the bullet sucked the does eyed out and killed her. :think:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 am

Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:They could offer me a free hunt to kill one of those fenced in freaks and I would decline. I have no desire to kill one like that.

I’m with you, Dewey.

I’m not a fan of Keith Warren at all. About a decade ago he was going on and on about hunting in an enclosure. “Think of it as an OUT-closure. It’s the best way to keep the inferior genetics OUT. We will probably see the day where all hunting is done inside high fence operations.”

Haven’t watched him since as he is doing nothing for the betterment of the sport. Only video I’ve seen from him since was a vid going around on Fb of him shooting a doe with a .50 cal BMG. Went for the head shot, barely missed, and the shockwave/vacuum behind the bullet sucked the does eyed out and killed her. :think:

The guy seemed like kind of a tool and your story confirms it. It was just something I happened upon. Won't be watching him again. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
TripleOG

Unread postby TripleOG » Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am

Lockdown wrote:

I’m with you, Dewey.

Seen two shows with Keith warren. One he was walking around a big buck fenced in operation talking about these deer. I was amazed at the size of these deer but they may as well be pets. They do nothing for me. Next video of him was the one where he’s shooting the doe with the big gun and thinks he head shot her and finds out the shockwave killed her. I immediately thought this guy is one of the reasons sportsman/hunters get a bad rap. He’s selling absolute junk as far as being a sportsman goes but there are people buying it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:53 am

beartruth2 wrote:Deer farming is big business here in texas not for me but people pay big $$$ at these ranches.

Yes sir! It's all around me and quite frankly I find it sad. Pretty much just a mercy killing the bucks can't even hold there heads up due to the weight of all that bone. Biggest thing that gets under my skin is there's no laws to regulate it. Yes, u hear guys talking about 10,000+ acre ranches but there not all like that. There's ones right down the road from me that's not even 75 acres with not a tree on it. Deer are grain fed and storm the gates when a truck pulls in. They shoot em out the back of the truck as a take your pick deal. It's advertised as 99% success rate, sure would hate to run into the 1% who is unsuccessful in that scenario. In my opinion there is a huge diff between hunting and showing up to shoot. There's no guarantees in hunting! U want a guarantee go buy a dang toaster oven.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 am

rfickes87 wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:
Pse wrote:There must be a significant number of people willing to pay to shoot deer like that to keep all the high fence operations in business

There really doesnt have to be a significant number of people. Say one of these things started out at 10,000$ to kill(not hunt), theyd only need to have 10 of these to make 100,000$ off of just the killing of the animal. Add in the other "fees" and costs of those traveling to the "game ranch" and staying there 2,000 for the trophy buck hunts i mean, it doesnt take many customers to make this a lucrative venture...... you can see why this gets the kind of attention it does on these "outdoors" channels.
Personally, i feel that these kind of ranches my not have caused the spread of deer disease, they certianly aided it.... the first documented cases of cwd in my state were from deer farms and hunting ranches......

how would you know what size buck your shooting? i.e. a 140 instead of a 150...

is there someone in your stand giving you the green light to shoot? if so that's even more pathetic.

I think this is part of the point...you don't know for sure and an inch, say a jump from 139 to 140 may be a thousand $ deal. Those that live on a budget clearly could be in trouble real fast...which is, in part, a big reason why they could not safely shoot a deer in such an operation. Further, some may go in wanting to shoot a 130 and then your 'guide' points out several Booners trotting by. If you are already hunting there it is not about the journey...it is about a mount and some form of bragging rights.
Only exception I know where I could support something like a high fence op would be for a terminally ill kid. I personally know a few kids with terminal cancer and at least 2 of them have had a chance to go on a hunt like this. But even they didn't shoot a freak of a deer with trees growing out of their heads.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am

when I was in Florida after hurricane Michael, we we're on our way to find the next household that we were there to serve, and we drove past a deer farm. I pointed out the window and said hey look everybody at that big half rack buck... He was enormous.
The thing was just sitting there on the ground about 20 feet from the fence edge looking at us. We all pretty much yawned, and then went back to looking for real wildlife! :lol:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”