John Eberhart Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoyt31786

Re: John Eberhart Questions

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Theres no magic formula or one specific way to kill bucks. Everyone has their own style mainly its all about being in the right spot at the right time!

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon May 06, 2019 1:29 am

John scouts like mad, he does a great job of finding mature bucks in his areas. I certainly agree with some of your questions and don't see eye to eye with John on a few things but he is very much putting in the work and funding the bucks, the results speak for themselves.
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Mon May 06, 2019 3:06 am

may21581 wrote:Some very good points here! After reading through them it reminds me of a story and video I watched on YouTube. Has anyone else ever seen the older fella that is like the world's fastest and most accurate slingshot shooter? This guy can hit quarters in the air with stones and shoot tall weeds and make them fall certain directions. I believe in the interview he claims he doesnt really aim but more of like a reaction or muscle memory from doing it so much. He said it just came natural to him. Well part of me believes John is like this guy and has just done things so long he doesnt realize he is doing them. Just like this other guy is aiming somehow but doesnt realize he is. They have developed extraordinary skills but dont really know where to give the credit. Scentlok is totally not containing all your scent, however getting very high in a tree with an off wind is something worth noting! Focusing on security cover is also a big item to add to the checkmark column! There is a reason why Dan is called "the big buck serial killer" . The guys tactics are brutal, extreme, and to the point, hes a beast! Not too many guys are crawling miles through muck up to their nads or belly crawling through ice water with a gun strapped to their back!

A lot of talented people are like that , it never occurs to them that their doing stuff that regular people don't see or understand. Think how Dan would be viewed if he didn't share how he goes about things
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 am

:mrgreen:
PK_ wrote:I haven’t followed much of his content lately, however I am fairly certain that he kills the majority of his bucks with a well placed arrow through the vital organs.

;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 am

headgear wrote:John scouts like mad, he does a great job of finding mature bucks in his areas. I certainly agree with some of your questions and don't see eye to eye with John on a few things but he is very much putting in the work and funding the bucks, the results speak for themselves.

Agreed.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon May 06, 2019 5:52 am

matt1336 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:You said "how mature bucks use the wind".

From what I have learned here on the beast is deer only use wind for the most part going into bedding. Once on their feet, they go from bedding to their food source regardless of the wind. (This doesn't include checking does during the rut. Only a feed pattern)

Deer and the terms always and only don’t really go together too many times.

Whaaaaaaatttt? ;)
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon May 06, 2019 12:44 pm

There’s two ways too kill bucks period.
Gotta be a big buck around of course.
1-Spending lots of money. :arrow: ( Easiest way )
2-time in woods. Wether scouting hunting time in tree etc :arrow: ( hard work).
walking river

Unread postby walking river » Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 am

Only have this to add... I believe in one of his interviews (I think it was a podcast) he does relate how he expects the buck to
J-hook to scent check the scrape he is hunting over and sets up to take advantage of this behavior.

As a side note, I really appreciate the way differing opinions can be voiced and discussed here without the thread devolving into a kindergarten playground brawl. :clap:
I can't stand this indecision married with a lack of vision...
cjw5136

Unread postby cjw5136 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:43 am

I’ve watched all his DVDs in the past. I feel like I can learn something from everybody. His methods revolve mainly around the rut, which is as he states when he takes the majority of his bucks. He targets early season food sources then relates he stays out of his best areas until “the all important rut phases.” If one is looking to be a be a more successful rut hunter in farm terrain his tactics are something to check out.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 am

Dan and John both from my observation appear to have massive amounts of TIME to commit to deer hunting, born out of massive COMMITMENT to the endeavor, and have oodles of EXPERIENCE from years of learning. I think to over analyze any specific aspects of how either hunts is to sell those factors short, because make no mistake they override all else.

Similarly, I think most of the many variations of pixie dust the hunting "industry" tries to sell, I think tends to appeal the very most to those people that lack those three essential elements, because they are trying to shortcut the process to quick success. Where I credit Dan the most is I think he is the most honest guy in the biz when it come to not trying to do that.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed May 08, 2019 3:26 am

elk yinzer wrote:Dan and John both from my observation appear to have massive amounts of TIME to commit to deer hunting, born out of massive COMMITMENT to the endeavor, and have oodles of EXPERIENCE from years of learning. I think to over analyze any specific aspects of how either hunts is to sell those factors short, because make no mistake they override all else.

Similarly, I think most of the many variations of pixie dust the hunting "industry" tries to sell, I think tends to appeal the very most to those people that lack those three essential elements, because they are trying to shortcut the process to quick success. Where I credit Dan the most is I think he is the most honest guy in the biz when it come to not trying to do that.

Very well said Elk!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 am

John I think puts in alot of scouting and hunts near the right spots at the right timeframe. He gets it done can't deny that.

I dont know much about him but it is clear he either is paid by scent control companies to help sell a product or convinced himself psychologically to believe it works. Possibly both. Not going to fault him for his decisions.

In lab test scent lok does work if it was in a 680 degree dryer so it's not a complete lie to say it works. All dryers we own in households do not reach that amount of heat to reactivate the carbon or so scientist say. It goes back to confidence and if that is what he needs to buy to make himself feel more effective in the field that's his choice.

Regardless what different beliefs we may have on Scentlok John is a good hunter and puts in alot of effort to be successful.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”