White headlamps and spooking deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

White headlamps and spooking deer

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:23 am

I have often heard people say that using a headlamp does not spook deer. While that might be true to some degree, after decades of using trail cameras, predator hunting, and using red dim lights, I personally believe it spooks far more than what we may think. I never use white lamps anymore. One other aspect to think about is that white lamps definitely spook more birds which in turn alert any creature in the woods. I cannot count The Times that I have been approaching my stand with a red lands, switched over to the white Lens and spooked birds especially Turkeys which in turn alerted everything else.

https://youtu.be/5kLoeYMrzXQ

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: White headlamps and spooking deer

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 am

This randy guy is the same guy who really screwed over bill vale from A few years back.
Bill vale is One of the nicest old guys in the world. At least he was too me when i would chat with him on the phone.
Sorry dave no offense but.
i wouldn't listen too a word this guy ever had too say.
Or sell. He also tries too get you too hire him too do some stuff with smaller properties too get bucks too live on small parcels. Like-a jeff sturges type thing.
Jab jab punch marketing schemes
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 am

I totally agree with what he is saying and with your approach using red lenses going to/from stands. I noticed elevating all my cameras even the white flash ones, I am getting more pics of the deer being more natural. I do have pictures of deer looking up at all of my cameras, even the black flash ones, so I think getting them out of their peripheral range is crucial. My favorite cameras to use are the red LED's. I use red light to approach morning stand spots, it also helps keep my eyes more adjusted to the dark. Good video and post.
Extreme Effort Only
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:45 am

It's probably true.

Going in Am I use a green lens Gerber light.
Coming out PM I use a tiny mini maglite.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 pm

I use a green light more for a reason of not sending a beam for humans to wonder what I'm up to. I'm not convinced that white light spooks game. I ponder the thought that if it did there would be a lot less hit by cars. Seems they would go the other way. I know a lot of guys shine fields here with spot lights, curious if the deer head for the hills when they see the light? For cam purposes believe there's all kinds of flashes in the woods at night from lightening, fireflies, shooting stars etc... Don't think they can tell a diff. Believe it's the hunters scent that matters and more often then not the constant checking of the camera. Just my .02
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 am

I prefer to walk with no light at all, but prefer green/red as it doesn't impact my night vision as much as white. ie when I turn it off, I can see in the dark fairly quickly. If setting up in the dark, I clearly need the light.

I will use a light during any firearm season just for peace of mind.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
cuttiebrownbo

Unread postby cuttiebrownbo » Wed May 08, 2019 12:53 am

The headlamp I use has the ability to lower the brightness of light. When on red and low brightness it disperses the light so well I can just barely see where my feet are going to avoid making noise.

In the past I have had game spook out of areas with the white light but I have been able to walk up to bedded deer with red light and set my stand. Since I have done that a few times it has made me a believer. Mix low light with silent approach and set up and deer barely care - as long as wind is good*
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I use a green light more for a reason of not sending a beam for humans to wonder what I'm up to. I'm not convinced that white light spooks game. I ponder the thought that if it did there would be a lot less hit by cars. Seems they would go the other way. I know a lot of guys shine fields here with spot lights, curious if the deer head for the hills when they see the light? For cam purposes believe there's all kinds of flashes in the woods at night from lightening, fireflies, shooting stars etc... Don't think they can tell a diff. Believe it's the hunters scent that matters and more often then not the constant checking of the camera. Just my .02

I think a big correlation to the headlights/shiners is deer are so used to lights in those areas. Kinda like the hiking trail scent verse sent off the trail in their area. White light (or any light for that matter) is not an issue until it is in their living space. I think the red and greens tend to diffuse a lot faster esp in the late fall/winter hunting months. If I see someone walking up the street at night with their dog and a flashlight I am all good. Then when I see them come into my yard, I am yelling you better pick that sh#t up! haha

I totally agree with you on guys over checking their cameras being a big deal. I have some out now that I put out in the beginning of March that I am going to check here in June sometime. I will change the batteries and cards and then leave them until I make it back sometime in late season. If they are not stolen of course.
Extreme Effort Only
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:59 am

Dont know the guy, but the video clearly shows animals reacting to white light. I dont get how anyone thinks a mature buck doesn't notice the ever increasing intrusion during early fall and relate that to a threat. Video just substantiates my personal observations.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed May 08, 2019 4:34 am

Since I do not use any cameras, I can not add anything to that. However, to me, you either get in really early, and let things settle down, or stay out of the woods, till you can just barely see, and sneak in without the need for any artificial light. I have used both green and red, trying to keep it to a minimum....

I am using that mostly to come back out..... I would not use a white light at anytime, going in or out,,,,,,, unless I am cleaning a deer ha ha
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed May 08, 2019 4:44 am

tundra wrote:Since I do not use any cameras, I can not add anything to that. However, to me, you either get in really early, and let things settle down, or stay out of the woods, till you can just barely see, and sneak in without the need for any artificial light. I have used both green and red, trying to keep it to a minimum....

I am using that mostly to come back out..... I would not use a white light at anytime, going in or out,,,,,,, unless I am cleaning a deer ha ha

:D :clap:
Extreme Effort Only
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

Again not sold. Have just as many deer staring at a red flash camera on pic as I do the old school cams. So if anyone wants to unload there old cams I gladly take em. Not positive but believe it was the Crooked hat chronicles when Barry is videoing a buck as the "white flash" is continually going off right in front of the giant. Believe he even takes the time to say I think this answers the question of if the flash scares em. I no I no there's a million diff scenarios. From anything deer vision to the color of your fletching was the reason they ducked the arrow. But what the heck do I know I hunt funnels in high pressures areas so take it with a grain of salt
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri May 10, 2019 4:14 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Again not sold. Have just as many deer staring at a red flash camera on pic as I do the old school cams. So if anyone wants to unload there old cams I gladly take em. Not positive but believe it was the Crooked hat chronicles when Barry is videoing a buck as the "white flash" is continually going off right in front of the giant. Believe he even takes the time to say I think this answers the question of if the flash scares em. I no I no there's a million diff scenarios. From anything deer vision to the color of your fletching was the reason they ducked the arrow. But what the heck do I know I hunt funnels in high pressures areas so take it with a grain of salt

I am also not sold and i am also seeing the same outcomes on my apparent black out cams and ir cams. Boogie. Same results in just a year into trail cam usage.
They still look. They see all lights. Or brightness.
Its certain colors they dont or supposedly not be able too see.
If its a red green blue or pink lite. They might not see color but im sure they see the light or brightness.

The problem is is trail cams bring more human intrusion. Human intrusion is bad. Big bucks dont like smelling humans. They wont hang out long.
Whats most trail cam guys do? Set cams waist high or over bedding. That is worst thing u can do in my area.

Iknow i know guys are gonna say well look at this pic or look at that pic. Im talking my area which is highly pressured public ground.
If I did that at least where i live? Id have 5-10 pics all year and 8-9 pics would be fawns or young deer.

Point is irregular things get spooky deer so imo
if your deer are spooking in the morning from flashlights. I say your probably hunting that spot or area way too much and i guarantee you are not being stealthy.
Your going way way too fast.
Slow down let your eyes adjust too the dark and you probably be able too get too ur tree just by what i do take a quick flash peek with light
If you even need too which i rarely do.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:50 am

there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind deer see lights walking through woods. Will they all react the same? Of course not. But I'd almost bet the farm many mature bucks have lived because they took not as these weird lights came flashing all around in the woods. Do they see red light, yep I think so. Sneak in, light pointed at ground and held low. Use ditches, creeks, back side of ridge to get in.

Think Im beginning to understand why so many think AM hunting is not as good.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 pm

I like red or green because they don’t seem to carry as far. I remember me and a buddy parked our truck one am and began hiking up a mountain 3 hours before sunrise. An hour into the hike we noticed head lamps on our heals. We get set up, sunlight comes, and the other hunters we thought were on top of us we’re about a 1/2 mile away. If we could see them I’m sure every critter on the mountain saw them that day.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”