One of the perks of bedding on a point

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdw
500 Club

One of the perks of bedding on a point

Unread postby Jdw » Sat May 04, 2019 2:14 am

I went in for an afternoon turkey hunt this past week and was reminded how effectively bucks use the terrain to their advantage.
I was easing out a point and noticed several large beds, large poop and big tracks.
I was trying to get in position to catch a turkey coming back to roost so I was paying attention to the deer sign but not 100% focused on scouting.
When I got to the end of the point I spent about 20 minutes looking for the best tree to set up against and made 5 or 6 adjustments within a 20 yd area to see where I needed to be to have the best chance of killing a bird.
After 20 minutes and 5 or 6 moves I shifted to the end of the point and 2 big bodied bucks ran out of the hollow 40-50 yds below me.
I am sure I bumped them into the hollow while I was working down the point and they wanted to sneak out when I was out of sight but I ended up moving around until I jumped them.
I wouldn’t have seen them if I had stayed at the first tree I picked.
I have noticed that older deer would much rather keep a hill between you and them and sneak out of there instead of running out of the area.

Jackson Marsh

Re: One of the perks of bedding on a point

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 am

8-)

That's great information to have for this coming season :dance:
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed May 08, 2019 2:12 am

I was out turkey hunting this am and noticed the same thing. Also deer where bedding on the leeward side and when I sat on the top of hill to call and listen the deer would skirt the top just below the edge so they never skylined themselves. Started to forget about turkey with all the deer and sign I saw this am.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 am

That is great intel for next season. That is my problem when I am turkey hunting or trout fishing, my mind goes straight into whitetails.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”