Deep woods remote monarch.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Deep woods remote monarch.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Today I decided to go into a very thick area of pines with oaks starting about 600 yards in. The sign was not impressive honestly most hunters would probably never hunt it. It's difficulty to access was what made me scout it.

It was a long very slow dropping ridge with very slight drop in 3 directions. Probably the most gentle ridge in the county. It was about 1400 yards in length. From the road to 600 yards in was real thick pines turned into hardwoods for 200 yards then a very thick patch 100 yards or so long by 50 yards wide then hardwoods to the point.

I quickly found a young buck bed around 640 yards in which told me he was not allowed to bed in what I suspected the prime area.

As I scouted I found only 2 rubs in about 130 acres but both of these were leg size very large and rubbed year after year. Their was no scrapes or small rubs.

As I got about 100 yards from the end of the ridge on the center of the ridge a very small knoll caught my eye immediately I glued to it. It was tucked right up against brush with open in front. I walked over and ontop of that 3x 5 knoll sat a giant buck bed ontop of moss with alot of long belly hairs.

As I sat there I kept thinking I'm probably the only person to walk this ridge in several years. As I develop as a hunter it is amazing to me how I have began to notice the small details and notice things in years past I never would have paid attention too.

I did notice the mature bed had smaller satelite beds East and North of it. The large bed however was a single king of the hill.
This area has pressure around it but this part of the area is avoided by people. I began to wonder why I didn't see multiple mature buck beds. As remote as it is odds are good multiple 3 year olds or older live in the area.

Best I can figure is the mature buck runs off any competition. It's really a great 130 acres has water, oaks, pines, clearcut, cover , bottomland with alot of transition lines. A remote paradise surrounded by pressure to the east and west. With large several hundred acre clearcuts to the north and south.

I scout alot of areas and many that the sign is better then in this area. I just wanted to write about this area . It is so unlike most of the public I hunt it has a unique specal feeling to it very remote and peaceful the perfect place for a old monarch to call home.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Deep woods remote monarch.

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:48 pm

quickly found a young buck bed around 640 yards in which told me he was not allowed to bed in what I suspected the prime area.

Well done :clap: looking forward to hearing how it plays out this fall
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Not really sure what made me write about my daily scouting area. The hundreds of yards is just rough estimates.

I guess what I'm saying about this area is trust your hunting instincts. Alot of times we walk by good spots and not realize what could be living close by.

In my first 3 beast years I would have never found that bed and discarded the area entirely because it is very hard to access and a very long walk with minimal sign.

It is a area like this I feel could really produce a monarch.
One thing I have noticed with several of my large bed finds lately is they are up on the center of the point so he can look down the point in multiple directions for danger. And escape using the contour of the point.

He can use that same bed on 3 wind directions even though its hill country because of how that point lays out with gentle falling slopes. That's the best bedding spot so the beds don't seem to be shifting around the point like in steep terrain.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat May 04, 2019 1:40 am

8-)

Sounds like a great area :dance:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 am

Sounds like an enjoyable scout. Getting to understand what they do is something no one can take away.

I have a similar situation and had entry /exit from the tip of the point, off to one side slightly. So morning he scent checked from below, and sometimes left towards a quick ridge change verses following up the bedding tip to where it joined the main ridge.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 am

Sounds like a killer find!

Any ideas on how to take him down? Approach, tree, etc.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:11 am

greenhorndave wrote:Sounds like a killer find!

Any ideas on how to take him down? Approach, tree, etc.

It's going to be a very difficult area to get a kill in.
The visibility the buck has is so long.
He can just stand up and eat not needing to travel.

I did find 2 potential kill spots.
A deep creek ends to the west of his bed and creates a bridge that a heavy trail coming out of bedding goes through about 120 yards from bedding . It's difficult because its low and hunting low wind tends to swirl. I suspect this is his entry to bed on a east to west blowing wind. If I could find a day he comes back late this would be a great am spot.

About 70 yards east of his bed is a swampy area from a creek with knee deep water. I found a trail going through the muck which led to a small scrape and large rub 200 or so yards from bedding. If I can get in between the scrape and the bed I might get a shot.

Hunting south of the buck would be impossible due to vision and thermal rising.

Hunting north on the other side of the thick area is possible but I would bump young bucks. I do not see a reason for the buck to head this way. It's just a giant pine thicket that he could not walk through.

Which would you choose or would you target both the setups would be around 250 yards apart.

I need to go back in on the wind I plan to setup in these spots and plan a perfect tree. The entry should be clean to the west and east.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”