Deer hunting with an air rifle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

freezeAR
500 Club

Deer hunting with an air rifle

Unread postby freezeAR » Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Last year Arkansas added air rifles as a legal weopon for hunting deer. Has to be charged from external tank, mjnimum muzzle velocity requirement and shoot single bullet at leadt .40 caliber. Apparently Louis and Clark used a similar set up while exploring what is mow the US. Anyone have any experience with these rifles?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Deer hunting with an air rifle

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 pm

My buddy has one although I'm not sure of the caliber or if it's allowed in my states deer season. I have watched him shoot it and see no reasons for concern for a piece of hunting equipment to be used during rifle season. My concern is that eventually they will put fletching on the projectile and hunters will consider it archery equipment
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Saw Jim shockey advertise a air gun and video killing deer with it. Seemed fairly effective at killing but didn't appear to have good range like a modern ml if I remember correctly. It's concept is unknown to me besides novelty, if you could why would you want to over a rifle? It's not for me but I wouldn't care If others use them if it doesn't merge into archery season.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Fri May 03, 2019 1:00 am

The only thing that worries me is how much velocity may drop when the tanks are low on air. It could lead to some unethical shots on animals. One of my employees is a felon, and he brought these up recently as an alternative to his crossbow in rifle season. As long as they stay in rifle season I would be fine with them I think.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Fri May 03, 2019 7:04 am

I don't have a desire to hunt with one since I have been all archery for many years. I like the fact that I could cast the bullet and fill the tank up with an air pump.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 am

I see this as an option for people who are federally prohibited from owning or possessing firearms. For anyone and everyone else I don't see it as having any value.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 am

'Airbows' are thankfully illegal for hunting use in Michigan. I ran into a fella using an air gun for squirrel while scouting last winter. See no real advantage to it. He had a scuba tank to charge it in the back of his truck. Seems like a pita to me.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu May 16, 2019 3:16 am

Guy in FL does a lot of airgun deer and hog hunting.

The pellets can be .25, .30, .35, .40+ in diameter and are usually around handgun velocity.

Pellets do not deform and kill by hemorrhage, not hydro-static shock.

Blood trails are weak.

Guy uses a dog to track the deer.

I haven't totally written it off cause it would be handy in a semi-urban environment.
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Fri May 17, 2019 3:49 am

Like anything else, airguns have their pros and cons. Plus, it's all about whatever you like to hunt with. I've hunted with all sorts of weapons, but crossbows are my favorite, and muzzleloaders are my least favorite.

That being said, airguns are quieter, and have less regulations ... similar to muzzleloaders. You can expect them to perform pretty much like a muzzleloader. No hydrostatic shock, but creates a wound channel. You don't have fouling or ignition issues, but you do have to worry about condensation. You also can use other mediums besides air. Helium really packs a punch. Airguns are pretty accurate, can be spendy, can reload quicker than a muzzleloader, no big smoke plume. Look up some videos on youtube for more research.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”