Quieting your stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

Quieting your stand?

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 9:03 am

I've got my eye on a newish Toyota Tundra and am going to Durabak the whole truck I think.

Wondering if anyone has used this material to quiet down their stand, vs wrapping with paracord/stick on quieting strips etc?

muddy

Re: Quieting your stand?

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Stealth Outdoors is a sponsor on here, and their stealth strips are the best thing for quieting down stands.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu May 02, 2019 1:24 pm

I am sure it would quieten the stand down and make it indestructible too

However I have used that material and it will certainly tack on some weight to your stand.

The surface on top of the platform may also make some noise if rubber boots are worn. However traction on the platform should be really good

If tou decide to give it a try, anywhere your stand has a moving part use caution because when that material cures its hard!!!

If you’re looking to just make your stand quiet...for sure contact Uncle Lou on here for some Stealth Strips!!!
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Thu May 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Stealth strips!

20190215_151953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm

The whole truck!!!??? Holy cow. Btw I just bought a new to me tundra. It’s my second one and third Toyota truck. I love those machines!

Look on YouTube. You’re going to find plenty of options to silence your stand. Lues stealth strips are the real deal. He’s absolutely one of the best CS business ownersI’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with. The man makes a quality product too. Lue takes care of the beast guys.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Best thing to quiet your stand down outside of stealth strips is too slow down. Slow way down.

Ain't no race to be at 20 feet up. Going fast just makes noise.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 11:05 pm

matt1336 wrote:The whole truck!!!??? Holy cow. Btw I just bought a new to me tundra. It’s my second one and third Toyota truck. I love those machines!

Look on YouTube. You’re going to find plenty of options to silence your stand. Lues stealth strips are the real deal. He’s absolutely one of the best CS business ownersI’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with. The man makes a quality product too. Lue takes care of the beast guys.

When I lived in MT I had a Tacoma that was vinyl wrapped-awesome for protecting against scratches and a breeze to wash. I like the matte colors on vehicles.

I'll grab some of those stealth strips when I pick up my stand
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 am

A5BLASTER wrote:Best thing to quiet your stand down outside of stealth strips is too slow down. Slow way down.

Ain't no race to be at 20 feet up. Going fast just makes noise

This right here is the real deal. No matter what stand & sticks you use. This is the game changer. also, slowing down your approach to a spot. You can notice so much more in the woods this way.
Extreme Effort Only
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 am

BackCoverBowHunter wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:Best thing to quiet your stand down outside of stealth strips is too slow down. Slow way down.

Ain't no race to be at 20 feet up. Going fast just makes noise

This right here is the real deal. No matter what stand & sticks you use. This is the game changer. also, slowing down your approach to a spot. You can notice so much more in the woods this way.

X2. This is the most important step to staying quiet
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri May 03, 2019 6:26 am

I dont know if youre a weight conscience guy, but one thing to remember is that paint on type coatings generally add a good bit of weight to the gear you apply them to...
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sat May 04, 2019 10:55 pm

stealth strips, moleskin, and hockey tape,,,,,, go slow and be patient
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Stealth strips is the way to go...
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon May 06, 2019 3:47 am

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:I've got my eye on a newish Toyota Tundra and am going to Durabak the whole truck I think.

Wondering if anyone has used this material to quiet down their stand, vs wrapping with paracord/stick on quieting strips etc?

As many know I am a member here and own Stealth Outdoors. That being said I would never tell anyone that there is only one way to silence a stand. In fact there are many; tapes, foams, felts, coatings, etc.

Some may also know, through forum questions like "what do BEASTs do for a living", and others like that, that I also run an industrial coatings/environmental liner business. The product I mainly use is polyurea which is commonly used as - truck bed liner. I experimented with this and some different coatings to quiet metal and treestands. I just really was not impressed with any of the coating options I tried, and I spent a few years kicking a lot of different materials and methods around.

I was aware of a product in a can by Sims Vibration, I think it was a single component polyurethane. There were/are other spray can truck bed liners, and even some roll on products to consider. Basically what I am saying is I could have went the coating direction to silence stands, and I went with adhesive backed fabric.

If you do go with a coating, I would caution that rubber bottom soles, and rubber boots may give that squeak sound under certain conditions (mainly moist, but slick finish coatings could aid in squeaks).

If you do your whole new truck in the spray, and want to try a coating on your stand, maybe take one to them and see what they might charge (they might even throw it in).
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:I've got my eye on a newish Toyota Tundra and am going to Durabak the whole truck I think.

As many know I am a member here and own Stealth Outdoors. That being said I would never tell anyone that there is only one way to silence a stand. In fact there are many; tapes, foams, felts, coatings, etc.

Some may also know, through forum questions like "what do BEASTs do for a living", and others like that, that I also run an industrial coatings/environmental liner business. The product I mainly use is polyurea which is commonly used as - truck bed liner. I experimented with this and some different coatings to quiet metal and treestands. I just really was not impressed with any of the coating options I tried, and I spent a few years kicking a lot of different materials and methods around.

I was aware of a product in a can by Sims Vibration, I think it was a single component polyurethane. There were/are other spray can truck bed liners, and even some roll on products to consider. Basically what I am saying is I could have went the coating direction to silence stands, and I went with adhesive backed fabric.

If you do go with a coating, I would caution that rubber bottom soles, and rubber boots may give that squeak sound under certain conditions (mainly moist, but slick finish coatings could aid in squeaks).

If you do your whole new truck in the spray, and want to try a coating on your stand, maybe take one to them and see what they might charge (they might even throw it in).

Stealth strips it is. Figured I would check to see if many had tried coatings.

Thanks all

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”