Young buck bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GreenArrow

Young buck bed

Unread postby GreenArrow » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:13 am

Hey guys I’m pretty new to using the beast tactics. I got out the other day putting boots on the ground. Hunting hill country. Found a rub line from last season leading to a bed. Bed has been used recently still had hair in it. Could see which way he was going and coming. Problem is the rubs are all smaller going to say 2.5. Yo. Besides that I didn’t see much sign in the area. There is a little stream that gives me great access to this spot. Early season could get within 60-70 yards.

I guess my question is would a bed like this be worth hunting? Would a more mature deer take over an area like this with there not being much old sign from years prior?

Anything you guys have to help would be awesome!

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Young buck bed

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 am

GreenArrow wrote:Hey guys I’m pretty new to using the beast tactics. I got out the other day putting boots on the ground. Hunting hill country. Found a rub line from last season leading to a bed. Bed has been used recently still had hair in it. Could see which way he was going and coming. Problem is the rubs are all smaller going to say 2.5. Yo. Besides that I didn’t see much sign in the area. There is a little stream that gives me great access to this spot. Early season could get within 60-70 yards.

I guess my question is would a bed like this be worth hunting? Would a more mature deer take over an area like this with there not being much old sign from years prior?

Anything you guys have to help would be awesome!

I would encourage you to go ahead and pick a tree and give it a sit. Certainly wouldn't hurt to see what caliber of a buck it is as well as learning about the area. This year will be year two of me learning beast tactics and I am not looking for mature bucks exclusively yet, which takes a lot of years to learn.

I would encourage you to find more spots like the one you just found and give them all a sit this year as you work on learning.
GreenArrow

Unread postby GreenArrow » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:34 am

HunterBob wrote:
I would encourage you to go ahead and pick a tree and give it a sit. Certainly wouldn't hurt to see what caliber of a buck it is as well as learning about the area. This year will be year two of me learning beast tactics and I am not looking for mature bucks exclusively yet, which takes a lot of years to learn.

I would encourage you to find more spots like the one you just found and give them all a sit this year as you work on learning.

Yeah I’m going to try and get in there early on when I get the right wind. You make a good point about finding the beds and trying to hunt ones I find. I think I’m trying to walk before I can crawl. I’ll be putting boots on the ground this week a couple days.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 am

GreenArrow wrote:
HunterBob wrote:

Yeah I’m going to try and get in there early on when I get the right wind. You make a good point about finding the beds and trying to hunt ones I find. I think I’m trying to walk before I can crawl. I’ll be putting boots on the ground this week a couple days.

Ya, scouting 3x as much as you hunt is Dan's motto. Find as many spots as you can and see how much you can learn about them this season.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

Just bc a 2 1/2 year old is using a bed now dosent mean a more mature buck cant ever use it . I have witnessed different bucks coming out of the same beds several times. Also just bc a mature buck is using a bed one day dosent necessarily mean a imature buck cannot ever use that bed. Ive sat bedding areas marked with giant sign only to see a 3 1/2 yr exit the bedding area. Not to say they dont use a bedding area over and over either. But i would agree and give it a sit or two always keep bedding areas marked for future. They could eventually be used by a bigger buck so the more bedding areas you find the better to bounce around throw sits at in my opinion!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:38 am

Not all bedding areas are screaming with big buck sign ive killed a couple good mature bucks with hardly any sign near the area. I do think there will be some big rubs somewhere on the place but not always right in the bedding areas .
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Absolutely give it a crack. Early season when they run in bachelor groups it’s typical that they bed in the vicinity of each other. Unless you have a camera or a sit or two on the spot you really don’t know.
Persistence is undefeated.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:45 pm

I would tell you to look at the location of the bed and the reason it is there in that particular spot. I find that the hardest beds to hunt and access usually contain the best bucks.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 01, 2019 4:27 am

It’s certainly worth keeping an eye on. For one, if a 2.5 yr old buck did leave that sign and he made it through the season, you would now be hunting a 3.5 year old buck. Which is a shooter by the vast majority of peoples’ Standards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”