Marking Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Marking Pressure

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:04 am

When looking at maps of public land, how do you go about marking the areas that you suspect contains the most pressure from other hunters? I'd like to start marking those areas on some print outs and focusing on areas where most don't go and was just wondering how you would mark a map up in 5 minutes based on suspected pressure.

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
hoyt31786

Re: Marking Pressure

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 am

Typically people flock to terrain features saddles, funnels, pinch points. I wont mess with fields here in Ohio either. I try to stay away from easy access trails. I used to go with the half mile in method using the measuring tool on Onx maps. But people arent afraid to walk far anymore it seems. Look for overlooked spots with bedding terrain. Sometimes could be right where everyones walking by. Also i hunt hill country so i try to find brutal uphill access to spots give it up a couple steep bluffs down and up again and might as well cross off alot of guys. Mainly i try to scout as much post season and find where guys are most hunt the same areas yr in yr out. Then i mark all stands, bright eyes, trails ect on on x as well. But i have also notices some areas where guys are hunting alot but just hunting it wrong and can still capitalize on bedding near by. Most the time i find people accessing wrong and or hunting wrong times of yr. Bucks watching them then slipping out the back door. If not being bothered bucks content to stay there until he feels threatened so i find a way to slip in back door! Here in Ohio its hard to find areas people dont we have a ton of hunting pressure, so sometimes easier to find areas people overlook . Most importantly is scouting knowing where the bucks like to be regardless of pressure they still have a sanctuary if not they would be dead!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”