No buck hunting in Buffalo county?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

No buck hunting in Buffalo county?

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:13 am

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/o ... 513757002/

This would bankrupt the outfitters, guides, lease agents, etc... It would have a devastating impact on local business... I like the way the WDNR is acting like its the advisory committee, not them, when we all know they hand pick the advisory committee based on who will go along with what they tell them to go along with. I remember when they wanted an advisory committee member for Jefferson county, they said they wanted someone who lives in the county, who is well known in the hunting community, and has an on-line presence. Hmmm... You know anyone that fits that criteria? The Jefferson county Biologist at the time and a few others in the agency wanted me to take the position and asked me to apply, which I did.... I was told they found someone who fit the criteria better. LOL. Reality is, I wouldn't do what Im told, I would represent the hunters.

Anywho, I bet its a threat... Help us kill a bunch of does or we will shut down your businesses. Reality check... How about you give every hunter in the county 5 free doe tags? Then those who want to lower the population on there land can, and those that don't want to, don't have to.

Jackson Marsh

Re: No buck hunting in Buffalo county?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:38 am

Stupid idea. If I hunted in Buffalo county I would just switch counties or states for a year or two and then would be killing NO deer in Buffalo county.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 am

Do the people in Buffalo County not have any say so?
Hunting residents especially should be fuming!
Their voices as with the businesses within Buffalo County should be heard!! They need to be taking a stand against this and even go as far as replacing the “acting” committee
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 am

So the CDACs are proposing to do a 2019 anterless only hunt in perhaps one of the best big buck hunting counties in the state of Wisconsin and perhaps one of the best in the country?

That sounds asinine when you say that out loud. :think:
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 am

Not that I agree with this one bit, but it seems like this is another way to grow big bucks even bigger and get more money out of it. Convince everyone that it's in their best interest to take a year off buck hunting and put the pressure on the does. Then you get even bigger bucks that will have less does to breed, which will create that much more competition for them. "A deer hunting paradise"! Now they can jack up prices even more for land and outfitters.

It's always about the $$$$!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 am

I don’t see this happening. Way too much money involved and taking that away from the area would be devastating.

Earn A Buck would be a much better option. Maybe even require each hunter to kill 2 antlerless deer in order to get a buck tag. More antlerless will be killed and the bonus is bucks will get older and even bigger for future seasons.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 am

When I hunted in Pepin and Buffalo county it was Earn a buck and we never had issues filling those tags. EAb seems like a better option..
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:45 am

BorealBushMN wrote:Not that I agree with this one bit, but it seems like this is another way to grow big bucks even bigger and get more money out of it. Convince everyone that it's in their best interest to take a year off buck hunting and put the pressure on the does. Then you get even bigger bucks that will have less does to breed, which will create that much more competition for them. "A deer hunting paradise"! Now they can jack up prices even more for land and outfitters.

It's always about the $$$$!

Could you stop working for a year? I don't think any full time outfitting business could stop for a year and pay their bills, and I don't think they could take any more hunters on there land in one season than they already do.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:48 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:When I hunted in Pepin and Buffalo county it was Earn a buck and we never had issues filling those tags. EAb seems like a better option..

What about people that can only eat one deer a year? Should they be forced to kill a doe? I think the best option is to give free tags and let the people manage the herd on there property the way they want. Some of the outfitters in Buffalo country have better management plans, and better consultants than the WDNR does...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:02 am

dan wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:When I hunted in Pepin and Buffalo county it was Earn a buck and we never had issues filling those tags. EAb seems like a better option..

What about people that can only eat one deer a year? Should they be forced to kill a doe? I think the best option is to give free tags and let the people manage the herd on there property the way they want. Some of the outfitters in Buffalo country have better management plans, and better consultants than the WDNR does...

“Last year 37,449 private land antlerless tags were issued in Buffalo County. Only 3,870 (10%) were filled.”

Looks to me the landowners are their own worst enemy. :think:

With the lack of public land in Buffalo County it’s up to the landowners to make this right. Clearly they are failing to bring the herd numbers down. If they are really serious about bringing the herd numbers down I’m sure the landowners would have no shortage of meat hunters that would love to have free access to kill an antlerless deer on their land. It’s way better than the alternative. I’m sure most would agree with that.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:24 am

Two years ago, in the high deer pop WMUs in NY, they made the first two weeks of archery doe only. They reversed course last year realizing that it resulted in fewer doe harvests as many simply didn't hunt those two weeks. I suspect buck hunters will simply move to another county and whatever does they would have killed will not be harvested.

Make the doe tags readily available for those that will use them is the best option in my opinion. I also wonder how much of this has to do with lack of reporting vs lack of killing does.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:16 am

I've said it before. The only way to fix this is to get politics out of hunting, fishing, and trapping.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:43 am

Dewey wrote:I don’t see this happening. Way too much money involved and taking that away from the area would be devastating.

Earn A Buck would be a much better option. Maybe even require each hunter to kill 2 antlerless deer in order to get a buck tag. More antlerless will be killed and the bonus is bucks will get older and even bigger for future seasons.

I think it would be best to have a 2 buck limit per year any weapon, 1st buck tag you get when you purchase your license, 2nd buck earned by shooting 2 does.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm

I remember a time when hunting Buffalo County was only shotgun, the days of killing bucks was limited and does were the targets only for a few days.....

times have changed
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:

“Last year 37,449 private land antlerless tags were issued in Buffalo County. Only 3,870 (10%) were filled.”

Looks to me the landowners are their own worst enemy. :think:

With the lack of public land in Buffalo County it’s up to the landowners to make this right. Clearly they are failing to bring the herd numbers down. If they are really serious about bringing the herd numbers down I’m sure the landowners would have no shortage of meat hunters that would love to have free access to kill an antlerless deer on their land. It’s way better than the alternative. I’m sure most would agree with that.

Thats exactly what the WDNR is trying to do, they are throwing worst case out there trying to get the land owners to panic... If there is very very little public land in Buffalo county and the land owners don't want to lower the population of deer on there own land, why should they be forced?

THEY OWN THE LAND

They hunt the deer on there land

Is it anyone elses problem?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”