Newly Found Beast Bed example with aerial

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Newly Found Beast Bed example with aerial

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 am

Found a Beast in his bed while scouting over the weekend. Went back yesterday and he wasn't home so I used the opportunity to sit in the bed, look for potential stand locations, etc. I also found a shed in the immediate area which I will post as soon as I take a picture away from the location so it can't be tracked. I hope I am not revealing too much but I feel obligated to share as so many have freely helped me and the rest on the forum learn.
The image encompasses +/-15 acres. Dark blue is a creek with flow direction. If you start at the far right the flow begins and is continuous ending on the very top right of center with the small section. Some of the image is cut off to protect the location so you'll have to visually connect the waterway. Light blue is mostly non-flowing water but it is deep. All water (dark or light blue) is deep enough that a deer would not cross unless in an emergency, IMO. Red is the compass rose. White is our prevailing winds. X marks his bed.
The bed is on an island of sorts although the water surrounding is only 30 ft wide in most places and surrounded by a mix of hardwoods, lots of thick multiflora rose and dogwoods, and very swampy ground. Access from one direction is nearly impossible as it is so thick with briers, multiflora and other swamp vegetation you would alert a deer of your presence from far away. Access otherwise is a mile+ hike which may turn out to be triple that until you wander around impenetrable areas, deep water spots, etc. The bed itself is on one of about three slightly raised (maybe a yard higher) locations that are only about 5x5 yards each on the 'island' and is only perhaps 5 feet from the waters edge. The water protects him from any traditional predators. The prevailing wind alerts him to hunters coming from the NW, W and SW. He can watch everything else in front of him.
Access to the 'island' is from the SE location where dark and light blue meet. Most of the 'island' has 3"-2' feet of water currently and will probably be a bit less in summer but probably about the same during hunting season. Muck sounds, marsh grass & cattails rubbing and poor footing would alert him to anyone entering the 'island'. There are a few trees on the island but all of them are spindly, dead/dying or would simply hang me out to dry because he could see me. Perhaps a stand to the N would work across the water. Maybe the only flaw in this setup for the deer and therefore my opportunity is there is really only one reasonable entry/exit on the 'island' so IF he gets up before shooting hours are over and IF he doesn't swim the deep water to exit at night (my gut tells me he won't) maybe I will have a chance. Otherwise I might have to wait for a windy day, stalk and try to kill him in his bed.
There is hunting pressure all around this area within 150-200 yards but I'd venture to say there is a reason he is there...a pocket of protection in the middle of highly pressured PA public land. Hope this is helpful.
Btw, there is next to no deer sign in the vicinity of the 'island' (rubs, scrapes, etc.). On the island itself just a few trails that are far from beaten down and all lead to the bed. The bed is well worn and full of hair which I would expect especially during this time of year. He beds with his back to the water.

backstraps

Re: Newly Found Beast Bed example with aerial

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:36 am

Good job!! Hope you can get on him this fall
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:13 am

The nearby shed. Assuming the other side is somewhat similar and using B&C glosses for a deer of this size it would gross score somewhere in the 140's-150's.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 am

Good luck!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 am

Nice visual,Layout and description
:clap:
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Nice find and good luck. Not sure if I am reading this right but was the "one reasonable entry/exit on the island" littered with his tracks? If not then he's crossing water and those few trails you found are probably the key to his direction of travel and therefore your stand site.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:39 pm

ODH wrote:Nice find and good luck. Not sure if I am reading this right but was the "one reasonable entry/exit on the island" littered with his tracks? If not then he's crossing water and those few trails you found are probably the key to his direction of travel and therefore your stand site.

I agree with this. One thing that I have learned is that the closer you are to the preferred bedding area of a mature buck, the more you will find mainly his big tracks coming and going. What I mean is that most of the tracks are only BIG when you are in his comfort zone. All the beds in the area will be interconnected with light trails, ALL these trails are with his big tracks. His preferred exits will also have his big tracks, of various ages, showing you where he is going from the beds.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm

That's awesome. I can't wait to hear how it pans out.

Good luck!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:28 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
ODH wrote:Nice find and good luck. Not sure if I am reading this right but was the "one reasonable entry/exit on the island" littered with his tracks? If not then he's crossing water and those few trails you found are probably the key to his direction of travel and therefore your stand site.

I agree with this. One thing that I have learned is that the closer you are to the preferred bedding area of a mature buck, the more you will find mainly his big tracks coming and going. What I mean is that most of the tracks are only BIG when you are in his comfort zone. All the beds in the area will be interconnected with light trails, ALL these trails are with his big tracks. His preferred exits will also have his big tracks, of various ages, showing you where he is going from the beds.

Yes, that is what has me most excited...I saw only his big tracks coming and going through that entry/exit. There are three distinct trails to the bed but not many tracks in the interior bc it is under water...a southerly route, a trail through the heart of the 'island' and a more northerly route. All meet at the bed and also at the entry/exit. I wouldn't say he has exclusive rights to the 'island' but it is pretty small, has a very small amount of real estate above water to bed on, and I found only the one bed. Walked the whole 'island'. There are other deer tracks outside the island (i.e. beyond the water barrier) but I only saw his on it.
I am starting to find more of these premium places now bc I took Dan's advice of crossing off places others go. I am a go-getter but there were places I had even avoided because of access issues and especially thick vegetation. And those are the places I am finding promising big buck hunting spots. Like so many on here say when you find a primo spot it all makes sense. It is the perfect setup without even taking thermals into account. And I believe the thermals will be dicey at best. Have some planning to do but it is exciting when you know where he is...at least for now.
Btw, the water is probably 6-8 feet deep in the flowing water. Any of you see a bruiser consistently enter/exit through that kind of water?
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:18 am

In my experience, he won't hesitate to cross the deep water if he feels pressure or catches a smell he doesn't like but will use the dry passage if he is unaware of any pressure or danger. Looks like a pretty killer spot if you can nail the approach and setup!
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 am

Solid analysis and nice bonus shed, with some awesome G-2s.

Best of luck in getting him!
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:53 am

Nice, awesome find and have fun chasing him.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Awesome find! Go get him this fall!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:29 am

Classic bedding location for sure. Great find! Keep us posted

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”