Biggest Mistake, Biggest Remedy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Biggest Mistake, Biggest Remedy

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 am

What’s been one of your biggest mistakes/hurdles hunting mature bucks and what has helped you alleviate the problem?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Biggest Mistake, Biggest Remedy

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 am

Giving them their space...

I used to not believe Dan about putting cameras in bedding in my first year after learning about this website. I could show you a whole album of spooked bucks running off. never to return.

putting them back on trails and such away from bedding and leaving them their for the whole season has taught me so much. i now have spots I can almost guarantee a buck to show (given the right wind).
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Biggest hurdle for me was finding a spot with a good number of bucks I care to shoot in the first place. Lots of properties in my area simply don't harbor any. Took me a long time to except the fact that not every property has a good buck.

Would say the only thing that really helped me remedy this was time. Learning new properties for many years eventually showed me which ones produced and which ones don't. Then I started finding common denominators of why these places produced such better results. Now I look for those situations b4 I ever step foot on a place.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Biggest hurdle for me was finding a spot with a good number of bucks I care to shoot in the first place. Lots of properties in my area simply don't harbor any. Took me a long time to except the fact that not every property has a good buck.

Would say the only thing that really helped me remedy this was time. Learning new properties for many years eventually showed me which ones produced and which ones don't. Then I started finding common denominators of why these places produced such better results. Now I look for those situations b4 I ever step foot on a place.

Awesome! Now I have to ask: What are the top three common denominators?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm

funderburk wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Biggest hurdle for me was finding a spot with a good number of bucks I care to shoot in the first place. Lots of properties in my area simply don't harbor any. Took me a long time to except the fact that not every property has a good buck.

Not really anything diff than what's preached here about overlooked areas. Yet some parts of the county do have better genetics. I also look for archery only areas. I believe the odds of multiple bucks reaching ripe old age is way better on large properties that do not allow firearms.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
funderburk wrote:

Not really anything diff than what's preached here about overlooked areas. Yet some parts of the county do have better genetics. I also look for archery only areas. I believe the odds of multiple bucks reaching ripe old age is way better on large properties that do not allow firearms.

How have I missed this?!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:14 am

I figured this out last year - don't stop looking until you find what you are looking for. Overlooked area - okay, where is it? Bedding - okay, where is it? It is starting to click.

Last season was the first time I put 2 and 2 together. Had a handful of "good" spots - all had promise. It just wasn't a sure thing - kept looking until I found the sure thing. Saw 4 bucks in 2 mornings - this is from a guy who hadn't shot a FL deer in 10-15 years.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:05 am

i notice i'm caught up in this too. You start to see patterns. It just takes time to get those common denominators. i kind of used to just scout out the thickest, most remote areas i could find on public... This year i finally decided to look at a spot that I've linked to several rumors of big bucks but i never would have considered before... and sure enough when i scouted it out on foot, it was an awesome bedding area, the best I've found in 4 years of beast scouting. years past i wouldn't have listened to others talk and i wouldn't have gone to this area b/c of how hard it gets hunted. just constantly evolving. Dan can only tell you so much, some things you need to gain from experience on your own.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:00 am

rfickes87 wrote:

i notice i'm caught up in this too. You start to see patterns. It just takes time to get those common denominators. i kind of used to just scout out the thickest, most remote areas i could find on public... This year i finally decided to look at a spot that I've linked to several rumors of big bucks but i never would have considered before... and sure enough when i scouted it out on foot, it was an awesome bedding area, the best I've found in 4 years of beast scouting. years past i wouldn't have listened to others talk and i wouldn't have gone to this area b/c of how hard it gets hunted. just constantly evolving. Dan can only tell you so much, some things you need to gain from experience on your own.

And Dan will tell you the exact same thing! I love it.

I think guys get apathetic or overwhelmed about the amount of time it takes to start getting familiar with all that’s talked about here. But I feel like they don’t understand just how fast it starts clicking once you get some beast threads in your brain and beast miles under your boots.

Of course, I have a LONG way to go as I’m only a two year old beast (2019 will be my first full beast season). But every single time I’m out scouting with beast tactics in mind, I leave with a little more understanding of whitetails than when I left the truck. That’s success in my book.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm

MISTAKE: Thinking there's a step by step playbook that I can follow to harvesting a mature buck. And at the end a buck gets killed.

REMEDY: Bust your tail and endure many hurdles for a bunch of seasons. Then maybe kill a nice buck one season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:08 am

Don’t think you need to go to level 10 beast mode right away. Shoot a doe, shoot a fawn, shoot 5 pointer and make no apologies for doing it. Repetition is key. Mr big will come along but you’re probably not going to get to Mr big before you shoot his wife, girlfriend and a few of his kids first.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”