How to get him?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Exophysical

How to get him?

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 am

I recently re-scouted a ridge I've left alone for some time, and found a very large buck in a bit of a unique situation. He's a timber deer, but he lives in a fairly good sized clump of live trees out in the middle of a large burned area. The patch of timber is large enough and has enough resident doe's that I don't think he leaves it, and as a result he seems to be far less transient than most big timber bucks. I think he can be patterned, but like any bush buck this guy is hella smart, and he knows his little forest like I know my back yard.

So just for kicks, how would you fellows go about trying to shoot such a buck, the situation I can see so far is this.... He seems to bed almost on the spine of the ridge most of the time, in the same area where there is almost a 100 foot sheer drop that gives him excellent visual and scent coverage of anything below him. Above him is a nearly impassably thick swampy area, and then the overgrown burn which is almost as bad. I think he feeds in the burn at night, but he also has a few small, old, cutblocks below him that he regularly visits. As well I've found some big beds on a knoll further down the ridge, I'm thinking maybe he beds lower during cold fronts?

For me this is a little different, since I usually don't bother trying to pattern individual timber bucks, and therefore don't get too worried about making a mistake and spooking them. I typically do best just try to stay as tricky and nomadic as the deer I'm usually chasing. This guy is a whole different type of animal than what I'm used to, but I really want to take a crack at getting him next fall

They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
headgear
500 Club

Re: How to get him?

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:29 am

Exo it sounds like you have him pinned down to a general area, is this a bow or rifle hunt? Either way I think maybe some observation sits or in-season scouting for sign will let you know when he is in the area and where to setup. Then just a matter of getting as close as you can without tipping him off, that impenetrable swamp might have to be penetrated to catch him by surprise. I've had luck sometimes calling them out of bed before so that might work to your advantage too.
Exophysical

Re: How to get him?

Unread postby Exophysical » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:03 am

headgear wrote:Exo it sounds like you have him pinned down to a general area, is this a bow or rifle hunt? Either way I think maybe some observation sits or in-season scouting for sign will let you know when he is in the area and where to setup. Then just a matter of getting as close as you can without tipping him off, that impenetrable swamp might have to be penetrated to catch him by surprise. I've had luck sometimes calling them out of bed before so that might work to your advantage too.

Rifle season opens sept 17th in that zone, so I'll be using the rifle. I'm sort of thinking I'll just do as you say, encroach as much as I dare just trying to find his tracks and figure out how he's moving around. If that doesn't work I'll get more aggressive at the end of the season, go in with a partner, have one guy go down the top of the ridge and one guy lower down. Either push him down or distract him so somebody gets a shot. Failing all that I'll track him, I worry he might head out into the burn where I have a very poor chance of successfully tracking him down, but he just might just try and circle around in his timber and give me, or a posted buddy a shot. Gonna be a tough one, cause I'm pretty fired up to get him, but will be forced to be far more patient than usual.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”