Night/Thermal Vision Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Night/Thermal Vision Scouting

Unread postby DhD » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:19 pm

For summer scouting I was wondering if anyone had experience using the night vision/thermal monoculars that I see online instead of spotlights. In Nebraska we can shine, but I know a lot of land owners are not fans. I would rather not ruffle any feathers if I don't have to. I believe the laws here are similar to shining, dont have a weapon in the vehicle/with you and you are ok. Any input appreciated.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Night/Thermal Vision Scouting

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:38 am

Thermals are extremely effective when bucks are in velvet but you cannot count individual points. Will just be a large white mass over their head
Both options are not cheap, though
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:22 am

I have gotten to play with both. Each has there pro and cons, but like Twenty Up mentioned, they are both expensive.

Night vision I like a lot with good ambient light and/or a good emitter. Thermal is the cats meow for spotting really fast... but again as Twenty Up mentioned you are not going to get a clear, focus on the view unless you are going to drop some mega-cash.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:32 pm

really is this what deer hunting has come down too.... I am sorry, I do not have a problem with the old time shining, but I am at the point that I have to draw the line...... thermal imaging,,, really are we in a war...................some of you guys should get a grip,,,,, maybe I am showing my old age,,, I have enough issues when I hear, well what are the scores, what did the G2's score,,, really maybe you should take up golf

I have shot some great bucks in my life and some way up in the score, but I also shoot a lot of does and eat everything I kill,,,, night vision,,, give me a break

If I offended you,,, well life is tough, wear a helmet
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:43 pm

No offense taken (by me) tundra

I live in a state where the “old time shining” is illegal. I don’t shine or use thermal or
Nightvision.
My experience with those were for survey purposes.

Giving the OPs reasoning to not want to shine I think is commendable. Not wanting to ruffle the feathers of land owners in my opinion is a good thing.

Using thermal or night vision to me bares zero difference than lighting up deer at night with a spot light when you’re talking about aiding yourself in killing an animal

Just my two cents
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 pm

I guess its better to go out with a spotlight and tick off the landowners? I don't like to use trail cameras. I am sorry if my question about another way to scout offended you. Are you using a longbow? I don't give a #@$# about rack scores, btw. Sounds like you have an issue there that has nothing to do with me. I eat everything I kill as well, it's the only reason I started hunting.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:17 pm

backstraps wrote:No offense taken (by me) tundra

I live in a state where the “old time shining” is illegal. I don’t shine or use thermal or
Nightvision.
My experience with those were for survey purposes.

Giving the OPs reasoning to not want to shine I think is commendable. Not wanting to ruffle the feathers of land owners in my opinion is a good thing.

Using thermal or night vision to me bares zero difference than lighting up deer at night with a spot light when you’re talking about aiding yourself in killing an animal

Just my two cents

Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:57 pm

I never used night vision but think it’s a cool idea to discreetly get intel on bucks. As long as it’s legal and you don’t have any weapons along I see no problem with it. Sure would be much less intrusive than shining and you won’t tip off others for miles seeing what your doing like a spotlight does.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Cabelas has a night vision monocular that is well rated for about $200. Seems like a reasonable investment to me.
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 am

did not want to tick anyone off, its just that I think too much technology will kill this sport, maybe I did not word my thoughts correctly,,,,,
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:01 am

What if you use a green or red light to do your spotting? They are a tad bit less conspicuous if you are throwing the beam across someone's house...
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:01 am

tundra wrote:

If I offended you,,, well life is tough, wear a helmet

That is a great line... :lol:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 am

tundra wrote:did not want to tick anyone off, its just that I think too much technology will kill this sport, maybe I did not word my thoughts correctly,,,,,

I appreciate it, not everyone will man up and respond.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”