Old bridge plateaus for buck beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Old bridge plateaus for buck beds

Unread postby Double Draw » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 am

I really appreciate the willingness of so many on this forum to help each other learn and grow as hunters. I would like to offer an observation during my scouting over the last few years that I have seen too many times for it to be coincidental. I didn't find anything on it when searching the forums.
If you can find old abandoned roads that cross water you will usually find an old bridge abuttment which forms a bedding plateau. They are usually small areas. It is a prime spot for mature deer as they are often overgrown, elevated (often with some sharp dropoffs) and have the water nearby as extra protection. The rise of the old abuttment gives a commanding, if not bird's eye view, of the immediate area. I have found a number of these spots and some large buck beds and even antler sheds in these spots.
Often these spots are not far up or downstream from a current bridge/road as bridges often washed out and roads got moved slightly. The close proximity to modern roads does not seem to deter big buck use...an overlooked area. Even better is finding an old bridge abuttment in the middle of nowhere. I know of several of these and they are honeyholes. These can be found using old maps and often talking to oldtimers or just by putting boots on the ground. Sometimes these show up on aerials but this is often not the case bc they are usually overgrown. Anyway, hope this gives you something to add to your .

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Old bridge plateaus for buck beds

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:51 am

That is something I never thought about. I'm not sure how many areas are like that where I hunt, but then again, I haven't been looking for them.

Appreciate the tip!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri May 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Here is an example of one I came across today while scouting. On the second photo red is a very heavy deer trail, pink is the old bridge abutments and blue is the deer bed. Looked like back of deer would have been towards the water which fits with typical winds. As you can see the bridge has been gone for some time as the trees in the roadway are quite large. Found the road on an old map. Probably 200-300 yards from the current road.
Old Bridge.PNG
Old Bridge Diagram.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Nice find!

So what are your plans for the spot?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Nice find!

I am confident it was a buck bed but doubt it is a mature one. Way too much pressure on that land for a mature boy to hold out there. The best ones I have found are in the interior and I have seen mature bucks use them. I just saw this one and thought I would illustrate for those who wanted to see a picture.
If I were to hunt it I would guess his most likely direction of travel in the evening and set up low in a tree, maybe only 6-8 feet off the ground, just off-wind of him.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Double Draw wrote:

I am confident it was a buck bed but doubt it is a mature one. Way too much pressure on that land for a mature boy to hold out there. The best ones I have found are in the interior and I have seen mature bucks use them. I just saw this one and thought I would illustrate for those who wanted to see a picture.
If I were to hunt it I would guess his most likely direction of travel in the evening and set up low in a tree, maybe only 6-8 feet off the ground, just off-wind of him.

Definitely a good illustration and much appreciated. It’s not a real common scenario to run across, but it’s good to visualize it if I would happen to encounter one.

One more question: why only 6-8 feet up? To avoid getting spotted setting up?
----------
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Double Draw wrote:

Definitely a good illustration and much appreciated. It’s not a real common scenario to run across, but it’s good to visualize it if I would happen to encounter one.

One more question: why only 6-8 feet up? To avoid getting spotted setting up?

Yeah, they act as lookout towers for the deer. You could go higher but I would want to be out of view because the main attraction to these spots for bucks, I think, is the height advantage. If you are too close they will see every little move you make.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”