Wind Charting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Wind Charting

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Been thinking about this for a bit. Is there a way to chart what the wind will do in a given area via topo/aerials? I would post a picture but I don’t understand wind well enough and wouldn’t want to confuse anyone else. But being a fan of visuals, it would be so helpful to see a drawing of wind moving through the hills on a given wind and see how it should interact with the terrain. Wondering too if it would pinpoint bedding locations??

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Sequoia

Re: Wind Charting

Unread postby Sequoia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:37 am

That’s an interesting point. I’ve heard of people using smoke bombs at various points on a property to determine what the thermals/wind do at a given location. They repeat this process throughout their property and note how the smoke is carried by the air currents and how it reacts to different terrain features.

If you physically did this process over and over for different wind conditions you might be able to chart air current activity and pinpoint bedding as you mentioned.

What might be possible is some sort of computer generated simulation that inputs wind direction/speed and visually shows air currents interacting with microterrain. That technology may exist but I am not aware of it. Seems possible though. That would be one heck of a scouting tool.
Last edited by Sequoia on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:37 am

:think:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:28 am

Sequoia wrote:That’s an interesting point. I’ve heard of people using smoke bombs at various points on a property to determine what the thermals/wind do at a given location. They repeat this process throughout their property and note how the smoke is carried by the air currents and how it reacts to different terrain features.

If you physically did this process over and over for different wind conditions you might be able to chart air current activity and pinpoint bedding as you mentioned.

What might be possible is some sort of computer generated simulation that inputs wind direction/speed and visually shows air currents interacting with microterrain. That technology may exist but I am not aware of it. Seems possible though. That would be one heck of a scouting tool.

Absolutely! That seems highly feasible. Hmmm...
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:45 am

There’s going to be some variability to consider. How much foliage are on the trees, wind strength, and thermals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”