Scent on field edges

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Scent on field edges

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:30 am

I have a question about scent on field edges. After reading and learning about scent in the woods/ close to bedding what about field edges?
I know there is scent from farmers and what not. Lets say there is corn planted and you have to walk down the edge of the field and the corn to get to any spot you hunt. How will this ground scent affect the deer ? Will the deer crossing from another woods across that scent bother them like it does in the woods or close to bedding ?
Same with putting trail cameras up on the edges just to get inventory. Will this bother them

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Scent on field edges

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 am

You walking the edge will likely bother them more than you driving a wheeler or some kind of equipment...kinda like the farmer. If you’re at a place where the deer aren’t use to smelling human, they will be alarmed. They may bed so they can see and or smell the places were they’re use to smelling people. Farmland hunting is not easy if you want to do it right. You need to put a lot of imagination into your access.
Camera placement if tough too. Personally I don’t like cameras. Especially if you’re going to put them in a spot that you can glass...like a field. If you can glass or shine that field, I’d stay out till you hunt it. If you must put a cam out there do it while it’s raining or about to rain. This is just how I roll and what I’ve learned here. Other guys will have other opinions. Good luck
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks for the information. The spot i hunt has thee absolute worst access possible. If I hunt anything besides the front of the woods i have to walk down the one whole field edge to get to middle or back. Once deer leave the woods they will cross that scent trail no matter what. Even the two track i have to walk down between the two corn fields its crappy because the deer use it too. I use cameras for the corn years the most just because i cant see
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 am

Deer seem to recognize different types of scent as in where it is placed... Near there bedding area is the most alarming. Where they don't normally smell people is second most alarming, and then there is the places they expect to smell human and accept it.
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:14 am

I've honestly had good luck with Conquest "Evercalm" stick. Putting it on my boots as I cross a trail has never alerted does and if they come thru chances are others will follow.
I know some are fully against any kind of scents but my experience is many times its done the trick.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 am

dan wrote:Deer seem to recognize different types of scent as in where it is placed... Near there bedding area is the most alarming. Where they don't normally smell people is second most alarming, and then there is the places they expect to smell human and accept it.

Thank you. This is what i was looking for. After reading a ton of post and realizing how the scent is a big no no i got to thinking of field edges.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 am

megavites wrote:I've honestly had good luck with Conquest "Evercalm" stick. Putting it on my boots as I cross a trail has never alerted does and if they come thru chances are others will follow.
I know some are fully against any kind of scents but my experience is many times its done the trick.

Funny you bring that up. I have as well have had very good luck with it. I shot my first ever deer with it on my boots and the 8 point walked down the same trail i walked in on and did not think twice.
Also last year i had a big doe and 3 fawns come out of the front of the woods and she picked up where i walked and fallowed that trail all the way to my ladder and was smelling up my ladder but never did actually spook out of there. It was crazy
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm

It's my opinion that deer have the ability to distinguish each hunters individual scent and remember it for the rest of there life. If a farmer is continually leaving his scent in the fields and never poses a threat they will accept it. Now say the new Hunter enters the equation and cuts through the cornfield. It will raise there curiousity from the jump. Young deer that are not severely pressured will do as mentioned above and follow it right to the source. The more mature deer know better and will wait until dark and sniff everywhere u have been. Once they discover your tree and u where there for several hours it's pretty much game over from there.

For me anytime I leave scent I want the deer to have to pass me first b4 they get to it. For a mobile hunter with lots of acerage who is one and done it's not a big problem. Simply off to the next. For repeat hunting of a stand or small parcels u got to put much more emphasis on entry/exit and where u r blowing at all times. Preferably put all 3 in a area deer can't or don't ever use.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:It's my opinion that deer have the ability to distinguish each hunters individual scent and remember it for the rest of there life. If a farmer is continually leaving his scent in the fields and never poses a threat they will accept it. Now say the new Hunter enters the equation and cuts through the cornfield. It will raise there curiousity from the jump. Young deer that are not severely pressured will do as mentioned above and follow it right to the source. The more mature deer know better and will wait until dark and sniff everywhere u have been. Once they discover your tree and u where there for several hours it's pretty much game over from there.

For me anytime I leave scent I want the deer to have to pass me first b4 they get to it. For a mobile hunter with lots of acerage who is one and done it's not a big problem. Simply off to the next. For repeat hunting of a stand or small parcels u got to put much more emphasis on entry/exit and where u r blowing at all times. Preferably put all 3 in a area deer can't or don't ever use.

I like some of your thoughts here. My thing about it would be lets say its a new farm hand every season so its bringing new scent to the area year after year. How does the deer react to that? Or one person plants the crops early and a new person takes the crops out and you have drivers ext around with all new scents.
Is it more along the lines the deer know the timing of these events and expect these scents around those times or is it more of these people arent all up in the woods laying down their scent so the deer arent alarmed to them.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 pm

I wanted more information on this just because my entry and exit cant be changed much. I hunt a square woods and only have access to the front field and the one side field, not the other two. I have a two track to the front left corner and right where that ends i can go straight or right. So pretty much to hunt the back i have to walk the whole west edge to get to the north and hunt. They plant the field so tight on the east side and its hard to get down that side to get to the east side and to that corner of the woods.

Most of the deer in this area come from the west across a dirt road into a small woodlot with two houses close and cross into the woods i hunt. We have some good bedding areas and that is where they go. Also the two track i use the deer walk down. I have had bucks cross that road into the yard i park,walk past my truck and down the two truck in day light and even after a night hunt i will chase them off the two track.

I was mostly trying to learn the best way to use cameras over the summer for inventory. Before i got here i would toss them in the woods on trails and close to bedding to see what was around and guess what, season would come and i would start walking around and checking cameras and would only see younger bucks. Now that i am learning this style i see how the wrongs i am doing and want to beast style it this year and learn from it
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 am

Hildebrand wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:It's my opinion that deer have the ability to distinguish each hunters individual scent and remember it for the rest of there life. If a farmer is continually leaving his scent in the fields and never poses a threat they will accept it. Now say the new Hunter enters the equation and cuts through the cornfield. It will raise there curiousity from the jump. Young deer that are not severely pressured will do as mentioned above and follow it right to the source. The more mature deer know better and will wait until dark and sniff everywhere u have been. Once they discover your tree and u where there for several hours it's pretty much game over from there.

I like some of your thoughts here. My thing about it would be lets say its a new farm hand every season so its bringing new scent to the area year after year. How does the deer react to that? Or one person plants the crops early and a new person takes the crops out and you have drivers ext around with all new scents.
Is it more along the lines the deer know the timing of these events and expect these scents around those times or is it more of these people arent all up in the woods laying down their scent so the deer arent alarmed to them.

These are just my opinions mind you so take it as that. But the farmer and all the hands are laying down scent in the same place and deer learn to except that because they are not deemed a threat. They also aren't standing in one spot for hours saturating the area. Let the farmer step into a place he hasn't been before and caution flags go up.

What I see in my farm country setting is this: If a mature animal smells where u have been come night time he will follow everywhere u went. He will find your hiding spot and instantly be cautious of that area. Afew nights later he will come by again and if he smells that u have been there yet again hiding in that tree it's a habit and he will avoid that area like the plague! I would rather a buck smell 20 diff people once than just me twice.

I imagine your prob limited on entry is why u ask such questions. In which case I would time it up best I could and don't repeatedly hunt the same tree. Even if u r just moving a lil bit. sometimes some out of the box thinking can land u some killer entry. Anyways good luck!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:13 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:

These are just my opinions mind you so take it as that. But the farmer and all the hands are laying down scent in the same place and deer learn to except that because they are not deemed a threat. They also aren't standing in one spot for hours saturating the area. Let the farmer step into a place he hasn't been before and caution flags go up.

What I see in my farm country setting is this: If a mature animal smells where u have been come night time he will follow everywhere u went. He will find your hiding spot and instantly be cautious of that area. Afew nights later he will come by again and if he smells that u have been there yet again hiding in that tree it's a habit and he will avoid that area like the plague! I would rather a buck smell 20 diff people once than just me twice.

I imagine your prob limited on entry is why u ask such questions. In which case I would time it up best I could and don't repeatedly hunt the same tree. Even if u r just moving a lil bit. sometimes some out of the box thinking can land u some killer entry. Anyways good luck!

Spot on. Yes my entry to the woods is pretty my two ways unless i am randomly cutting down rows of crops. Its really hard to use the one way so its really just one lane and once i hit the woods i can walk down the whole west side of the woods to hunt the back or middle or i can turn right and head east and hunt closer to the bedding area. I will drop a picture of my lay out and youll see what im dealing with
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 am

Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 am

I would say majority of the deer come from the west which is the left side of that map and actually down that two track where I park. There’s two different rivers, one to the left where they come from and the south which is that lane
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:55 pm

any other input on this ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”