All About Access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: All About Access

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:52 pm

The #1 thing to remember is everything else can be perfect... you can shoot bullseyes at 60 yards, perfect wind, hot sign near bedding and buck is home, you’ve got a bullet proof set, etc... but NONE OF THAT MATTERS if he hears you accessing. :whistle:

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: All About Access

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Something I did to help myself understand how slow I really need to go was to put my walker electronic ear muffs on and try to slip into my stand one evening. I was absolutely amazed how I thought I was being as quiet as I possibly could only to realize that wasn't the case not by a long shot. I assume we all know how to creep in heal striking first followed by slowing setting towards the toe with smooth movements, but that is not everything. how you lift your foot, how your clothes fit, contacts with foliage, how your gear is secured and where it is carried all play into being stealthy. The better balanced your load if carrying a stand in the less effort it takes to control your movements. Knowing exactly how high your stand rides and if you can clear limbs without moving them. I have pants that make swishing noises really bad that I never paid much attention to. Wearing your bow release into the stand adds another possible piece of equipment to make noise. In some muck if you twist your foot before lifting you can break the suction and avoid that sound. In water leaving your foot in the water and moving slowly minimizes disturbances and noises.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”