Dans interview w/ Andrae

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Dans interview w/ Andrae

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:13 pm

In Dans interview with Andrae, Andrae talks about kicking up deer a couple weeks prior to the opener to know where these bucks are bedding, but he also mentioned it’s a lot different from a September opener to an October opener. Where I live the season opens the first of October, so I’m wondering if that’s still a feasible tactic to try or would you avoid it?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dans interview w/ Andrae

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Mschmeiske wrote:In Dans interview with Andrae, Andrae talks about kicking up deer a couple weeks prior to the opener to know where these bucks are bedding, but he also mentioned it’s a lot different from a September opener to an October opener. Where I live the season opens the first of October, so I’m wondering if that’s still a feasible tactic to try or would you avoid it?

Most of the hunts Andrea has been successful on bumping deer were after oct 1st
Mschmeiske
500 Club

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dan. I just wasn’t sure if as the season progresses and testosterone builds, if it’s more risky or something or that they aren’t as tolerant of being bumped?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:11 pm

I was thinking that his statement was more on the lines or talking about new properties that he gains permission on and didn’t have time to spring scout. Go in and kick bucks up a couple weeks before he goes back to hunt (not necessarily the opener). I could be wrong about that, but believe I’ve heard Cody talk about it on podcasts as well.

Also, seems he mentions mainly kicking them up to see what kind of headgear they’re holding since he’s only looking for a top-end caliber buck.
Mschmeiske
500 Club

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:29 pm

I was just watching it again and he says September 15th and October 1st are worlds apart and it’s a whole different ball game. Not too long after that he makes mention of a buck in velvet vs. hard antler. Im curious if I decided to try that approach, would a buck not be as tolerable in October vs September?
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Mschmeiske wrote:I was just watching it again and he says September 15th and October 1st are worlds apart and it’s a whole different ball game. Not too long after that he makes mention of a buck in velvet vs. hard antler. Im curious if I decided to try that approach, would a buck not be as tolerable in October vs September?

I do believe this approach works about anytime, but there are a lot of factors that play into how well it works a certain times. The amount of pressure in the area, to me , would be the biggest factor, others would be time of year and how bad he acted when you jump them. And like they said theres a huge difference between a unpressured velvet buck and a hard horned testosterone bully buck, public land buck verses private, low deer density verse high deer density. There all a role in that equation.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 am

The wealth of information in that interview is almost overwhelming at first. I've watched it a couple times now. Any idea when Andrae will allow you to release the second part Dan?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 am

Cchez wrote:The wealth of information in that interview is almost overwhelming at first. I've watched it a couple times now. Any idea when Andrae will allow you to release the second part Dan?

I don't think we are going to release any more parts
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:08 am

dan wrote:
Cchez wrote:The wealth of information in that interview is almost overwhelming at first. I've watched it a couple times now. Any idea when Andrae will allow you to release the second part Dan?

I don't think we are going to release any more parts

Bummer, i was looking forward to hearing his take on hunting big woods. Oh well, lots of great stuff you have on here regardless!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 am

Yeah that sucks, looking forward to part 2.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Weezy

Unread postby Weezy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am

Well that blows.
Mschmeiske
500 Club

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:41 pm

I was looking to see part two myself. We want the goods! Haha :lol:
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:58 am

It would be nice to see a part 2, however we should be thankful for the part #1 that he gave us. I know it is nerve racking to hear this but in away I have to admire his wishes to keep more private about things. How many times have we seen top notch hunters that open up and talk about things only to be questioned and second guessed? People out there are always trying to rag on someone or tarnish their accomplishments and I believe he wants to steer clear of this. The guy cut his teeth on public and evolved into a great hunter. He put himself in the game and has been very successful. Hats off to andrea! I too find myself listening to it more than a few times.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”