morning bed hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mihunt44

morning bed hunting

Unread postby mihunt44 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:23 pm

I've located some buck beds in an area of long grass, cattails, and brush in a large swamp. to access in the evening would be difficult due to muck, water, brush, etc., there are also numerous evening exit routes as there is food in almost every direction (food on private). there is one tree I can sit within bow range of the beds and I'm thinking of sneaking in and hunting right on top of them in the morning. I know evening could be done, but I'm also wanting to try it as an experiment. I have plenty of spots near bedding that set up well for evening hunts, these are not bucks that I know, haven't laid eyes on them, so I'm not super worried about busting them out of there as I'm sure they, or other bucks would use the bedding area again in the future.
hoping to get some input from people who have had success, or not, hunting right in the bedding in the morning. did you notice them approaching from downwind? was it before or after daylight? moon phase? rut phase, if rut at all? thought about trying early season (Michigan opener oct. 1). debating though on whether or not it may be a better idea to wait until they start paying more attention to does and are out partying later.
these beds are also very near the only road access to a public swamp, so there is also the pressure increase to consider as the season wears on.
looking forward to hearing some stories.

thanks
Miguel

mastermind

Re: morning bed hunting

Unread postby mastermind » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 am

I've had great success hunting beds in the AM it's a tough sell sometimes but it had paid off for me on numerous occasions on public here in NJ. Being that it's a swamp in would try in and see what happens get in 2hrs before light on a good moon day and keep your fingers crossed for some luck. I've had bucks come in during dark bed down and if your stand is in right location you might be able to slip an arrow in him as he sleeps or stands to stretch. I look at it this way dont hurt to try right?
DO WORK SON!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:20 am

My success in the morning comes from hunting a little further back. Most of the mature bucks tend to hook into the bedding from down wind and smell the area before entering. So being 200 yards back, or looking at the terrain and estimating where he should walk if circling down wind has been more successful for me. There are spots where un passable ground like a lake or to thick of brush can prevent bucks from going down wind, and there are the times some bucks get so comfortable in a spot they just walk right in, but I like playing the odds... Odds are he is going to scent check 1st.. and if he circles and don't hit your airborn scent, he may hit your ground scent.

So, the next issue is, outside of the rut they often get back to there bed well before daylight and you spook them going in... As mastermind eluded, there are certain days that are better than others. I prefer a calm morning after a strong evening storm... Seems that a strong storm keeps them holed up longer and rising later to start there routine, thus getting back to bed later.

Bottom line is its certainly doable... But its not always as simple as hanging a stand right over the top of the bed.
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Last year I hunted a hot oak that was dropping close to a known buck bed. I ended up killing that buck right at first light as he left the oaks and headed for his bed. Right at first light.

I also hunted another buck's bed in the morning and was ALMOST successful. Here's how it set up.

I watched him J-hook downwind of his bed but I was outside that arc. If I was smart i would have set up on the ground in the tall grass of the lake bed and caught him as he circled like Dan just mentioned.

I ended up watching him from 40yds for a few hours. He was facing with his back to the wind and overlooking the lake bed. You can see his antler tines here as he's laying in his bed.

I ended up climbing down from my tree and trying to stalk him :lol: I was SOOO close. When I was about 25yds away a tree fell behind me. I kid you not, a massive tree fell behind me. He jumped up, looked my direction and saw me and.... see ya! Haha. Just my luck to have a falling tree save a buck. What are the odds? Oh well. Next time.

Bottom line - you can absolutely be successful, you just gotta play the wind and anticipate. Entry is key too. Don't walk through those fields in the pre-dawn darkness.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
mihunt44

Unread postby mihunt44 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Can’t hurt to try right?
Hopefully I’ll have something good to report.

Good hunting
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 am

You mentioned having “plenty of spots.” I’d say go for it. I have 100’s of trail camera photos over the years showing bucks getting back to bedding areas in mid September 1/2 to an hour before sunrise. By mid to late October it can be 1/2-1 hr after sunrise. I’d guess hunting pressure could alter that but generally speaking into October your chance to catch them increases greatly.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”